Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

'88 chrysler conquest tsi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'88 chrysler conquest tsi

I have a '88 chrysler conquest tsi my dad got for free from one of his cousins...i was wondering if any1 can help me out a bit

a little back story on the car..:

it has a 2.6L turbo, and about 150,000mi, it was originally a DD, then it was their summer toy, then about 7 years ago they stored it indefenetly, about 2 years ago, they took it out and in that time they went to some quick lube and they didnt tighten the drain plug so the engine blew up, and they payed for a new motor, after that it was stored again. they say it ran fine when it got the new motor (and it ran fine before it too), but about 7 months ago one of their neighbors was house sitting and he took the car for a drive and ended up having it towed back to the house because it was stumbling and rolling the idle and such like im having, and untill about a month ago where we got this car, its been stored since that time.
the issue:

it cold starts fine but when it starts to heat up a bit the idle starts to roll, from about 1100-2500rpm (im assuming once it gets to closed loop, then something makes it roll)

in park or neutral, you can free rev it to redline no problems, till it starts to surge (like mentioned above), you can hold the throttle at any position and it'll still roll but only go up to about 4000rpm and then go back down and roll again back and forth

if you stab the gas, wether in gear or park/neutral, it stumbles and if u leave the throttle open it stumbles and dies

if the car's in reverse or neutral, if u stab the gas it stumbles, if you feather it, it revs up just enough where the boost gauge to read about 1-2 lbs of boost and then it stumbles and eventually dies if u hold it, (i havent looked at the rpms when in gear..and i've only brake torqued it)

what ive done so far:

i've checked vacuum(even tho there's a boost gauge), drained the old fuel and installed a new fuel filter, and put soem new fuel in it and a bottle of injector cleaner(that stuff you just dump in the fuel tank...figured it wouldnt hurt any and maybe it'd help a bit), cleaned and re-gapped spark plugs, changed the oil, inspected that every connector is plugged in and all vacuum hoses connected, sprayed brake cleaner all over the engine compartment, intercooler and all intake piping looking for possible vacuum leaks, i did find the mass air sensor was disconnected, but when i did plug it in, it didn't do anythign different, i also found the blow-off valve/wastegate was seized and not moving (i did free it up but theres no movement on it anyway with or without vacuum and i cant see with boost/pressure since it wont go into it), also i tried disconnecting the upstream 02 sensor and nothing different happened...

(ive only spent about 3 hours "working" on it because i live at an apartment where auto repair is prohidited, and i work at a dealer as a mechanic and i never have time to work on it exept at the end of the day possible on 2 days a week IF we have no other cars to work on...AND if i dont need to get home to do other things right after work..AND if there's somebody else there i can use to help me bounce off ideas as to what we could check next to see if it may fix anything...plus up till today had no kind of online info for it..)(today i found a online service manual and a vacuum routing diagram...and a couple of conquest/starion forums)

i also thought about checking the fuel pressure but, i dont know anybody with a banjo fitting that i can use..my THOUGHT is that there's something wrong with the turbo or the blow-off valve/wastegate(stuck open?)...(once it reaches boost it stumbles and dies...)

any other thoughts of what i could check?

Last edited by nekkidlad; Feb 15, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi! Welcome to Starion/Conquest ownership! I am the original owner of my 1989 'Starion ESI-R with 91,000 miles on it. I also started out with a 1986 'flat-fendered' Starion. (see signature) Sounds like you have your hands full...Your car is worth the trouble, please hang in there! After disconnecting your map sensor in the air box, did you disconnect the battery? That helps to reset everything...

Have you tried the web site: www.starquestclub.com/ yet? It might be.net . Lol. I take it your car is an automatic, with sunroof? You have yourself a rare car! Only about 5,000 total per year came to the USA from the years: 1983 - 1989. 1988 - '89 about 4,000 per year came. I would LOVE to see photos of your car. I had my own Starion/Conquest club with over 400 members coast-to-coast for 14 years. Here is my email address: G54BT@aol.com . Best of luck! -Howard.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

it is auto w/ sunroof, it's a red one and it's in a bit of rough shape...
all the corners are rusting away, and the front bumper extension is cracked and falling off...but ziptied together and in place..

i dont have acharger for my camera rt now but when i get a chance ill post one up..

like i said we got it for free and i dont have much to put into it..
it needs tires and brakes all around

i did not disconnect the battery, but i did put a new one in, since the one it had in it was probably 6 years old or more...and the alternator belt was barely on and shredded off...(i still need to replace the other 2 belts..but im going to wait till it runs normally for that..)

as for that forum i was actually checking it out as i opened a new tab and came here to check for any updates...(slow at work), and there was your post...lol
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:25 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
pics?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

^whenever i find the charger to my camera...lol...
(y'd i have to lose it...grr!)
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really want one of these. Once the Ralliart is done (next year), I plan to buy a Starion. This is definitely one of my favorite cars. Thumbs up!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

heres a pic of A conquest, for those who may not know what it looks like...it's even red like mine
(it's not THE one im talking about, ill post pics up when i can...probably tomorrow after noon)

(ps i love the bottom comment...lol)
Attached Thumbnails '88 chrysler conquest tsi-conquest.jpg  

Last edited by nekkidlad; Feb 15, 2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:21 PM

hahaha, I know how it looks like. I just want to know how it looks now, if it stood the test of time!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

ok...here they are..
HERE'S THE BEAST!!..lol
Attached Thumbnails '88 chrysler conquest tsi-dsc01121.jpg   '88 chrysler conquest tsi-dsc01122.jpg   '88 chrysler conquest tsi-dsc01123.jpg  
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qAk...eature=related
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

^^lol
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!