Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo IX vs. BMW 335

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Parikh1234
i own both an IX and a 335xi, he 335 is a piece of garbage. Stay away, has no driving feel to it, always is beeping for no reason and feels like driving a couch.
The 335i a piece of garbage?..sure, that is why it was on the best top ten cars and best seller on its segment right?
Also, what is that thing about "beeping for no reason". My car only beeped twice, one for letting me know that the outside temps was below 32 and once a CEL that went away.

You might want to check your car to make sure is not a lemon. By the way, it doesn't drive like a couch otherwise it wouldn't be faster than the Evo on the VIR lap times. my .2c.

You probably didn't get the sport package on your 335i because it comes with one of the best seats in the industry. Last but not least, I am curious to know, i a 335i drives like a couch how the Cadillacs, grand marquis and Lincolns drives?uhmmm,....

Carlos
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
The 335i a piece of garbage?..sure, that is why it was on the best top ten cars and best seller on its segment right?
Also, what is that thing about "beeping for no reason". My car only beeped twice, one for letting me know that the outside temps was below 32 and once a CEL that went away.

You might want to check your car to make sure is not a lemon. By the way, it doesn't drive like a couch otherwise it wouldn't be faster than the Evo on the VIR lap times. my .2c.

You probably didn't get the sport package on your 335i because it comes with one of the best seats in the industry. Last but not least, I am curious to know, i a 335i drives like a couch how the Cadillacs, grand marquis and Lincolns drives?uhmmm,....

Carlos
own one and you will see. Ive driven alot of cars out there and its a complete POS. I havent driven mine in over a year. I should probably sell it. BMWs are terrible cars, the last good car they made was the e39 m5.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Hi Mc Dougal,

Since most of the people are focused on just straight line acceleration I will tell you again that the 335i with just a tune(Vishnu procede 1.4) will trap speeds that my Evo could only get with full exhaust , MBC , tune and air filter.

Carlos
Easy does it. I wouldn't give him the wrong impression here. The bmw may have the evo beat under this specific condition, but if you're into modding your car, the BMW will quickly be out preformed for SUBSTANTIALLY less money.

Also, to call a 335i "iconic" is silly. No one hears "335i" and thinks "performance" or "America" (e.g. mustang) etc.

If you're into going fast in something unique, the IX all the way. If you want to have something comfortable and peppy to drive while blending in with everyone else on the road, go with the bmw. On second thought, get an Evo X lol
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

I smell a troll in this thread, first of all.

Anyway, I've owned both: evo for 4 years, and 335i for two, and I've had my 135i for going on 6 months.

My evo was modded so its not much compare, the evo felt like raw power, but the 335i is just more comfort and luxuries. 'fromWRXtoEVO' hit the nail on the head saying that the 335i was lightyears ahead of the evo "comfort, equipment, quality, etc".

The 335i is not "crap" as the troll has said, and everyone I know with modded ones love theirs...

The 135i is a little gocart, and since it is lighter with the same engine as the 335i it is a tiny bit quicker. I love my 135 and hope to have it for quite some time.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vegasboy301
I smell a troll in this thread, first of all.

Anyway, I've owned both: evo for 4 years, and 335i for two, and I've had my 135i for going on 6 months.

My evo was modded so its not much compare, the evo felt like raw power, but the 335i is just more comfort and luxuries. 'fromWRXtoEVO' hit the nail on the head saying that the 335i was lightyears ahead of the evo "comfort, equipment, quality, etc".

The 335i is not "crap" as the troll has said, and everyone I know with modded ones love theirs...

The 135i is a little gocart, and since it is lighter with the same engine as the 335i it is a tiny bit quicker. I love my 135 and hope to have it for quite some time.
lol @ calling me a troll, ive been here for 8 years and own 2 evos AND a 335. Not trying to troll at all. I own both a 335 and an XI and just giving you my honest opinion on MY 335xi. Nothing more, if you dont want to believe it, great, enjoy driving your 135.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

lol @ calling me a troll, ive been here for 8 years and own 2 evos AND a 335. Not trying to troll at all. I own both a 335 and an XI and just giving you my honest opinion on MY 335xi. Nothing more, if you dont want to believe it, great, enjoy driving your 135.
I've been here 4 years longer than you, no need in stating who has been here longer

To each his own i guess, but to call a fine car "garbage" is something else... Feels like a couch? Some people want comfort.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Also, you said xi, there could be some great differences in the 335i and 335xi, so you could be right. But the OP asked about the 335i, which 'fromWRXtoEVO' and I both had. For all I know the 335xi could be a POS.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

I've been here 4 years longer than you, no need in stating who has been here longer

To each his own i guess, but to call a fine car "garbage" is something else... Feels like a couch? Some people want comfort.
so just because someone wants comfort no one can ever say a car drives like a couch? The OP wanted the opinion of the 335 vs the IX. I gave my experiences based on the cars I own.

That is how I feel about the 335xi that I own. It is a completely waste of money and probably the WORST car I have ever owned. That is my opinion and surely I am entitled to it.

I think the evo IX is worlds greater than it in many aspects and probably one of the best handling and fun cars I have ever owned. Simply an opinion based on the cars I own. Nothing wrong with that.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Also, you said xi, there could be some great differences in the 335i and 335xi, so you could be right. But the OP asked about the 335i, which 'fromWRXtoEVO' and I both had. For all I know the 335xi could be a POS.
fair enough, if he wanted an opinion on the 335i, all I can tell you is that I did test drive one with the sport package after I got my 335xi thinking I would trade it if it was better. I still have my 335xi so you can judge from there my opinion on the 335i.

I have nothing further to say about the 335i as I dont own one or have extensive seat time in one.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

so just because someone wants comfort no one can ever say a car drives like a couch? The OP wanted the opinion of the 335 vs the IX. I gave my experiences based on the cars I own.

That is how I feel about the 335xi that I own. It is a completely waste of money and probably the WORST car I have ever owned. That is my opinion and surely I am entitled to it.

I think the evo IX is worlds greater than it in many aspects and probably one of the best handling and fun cars I have ever owned. Simply an opinion based on the cars I own. Nothing wrong with that.

I completely agree, and you are entitled to your own opinion.

But comparing the two is difficult, when one is a fun all out sports car and the other is a luxury car with power. Don't get me wrong, you can definitely make a 335 into an all out sports car, and there are many of them out there. But it will cost you tens of thousands more than it would be to modify an evo.

I loved my evo, I miss the awd and simplicity of it (no computers). Working on it was way easier and faster. The 335i is full of technology that makes working on it a little more difficult.

I'm keeping my 135i moderately stock with just an exhaust, y pipe and cosmetic mods.

To OP: if you want something that you'll be able to modify and have a lot of fun in, go with the evo. If you want something a little more luxurious and comfy, but still have a little power when you need it, go with the 335i.

OT: BMW's blow Audi's out of the water; and a car I would love to own in the future is a Porsche.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:58 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Modability you say? expect to pay 3-4 times in price for mods on the 335, I'm talking about Dinan mods. You ever price the bling?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Does the 335i still have an electronic locking diff in the rear ? isnt that the same rear end that when traction control comes on turns into a peg leg ?

I thought the rear dif was the shortcoming of the car compared to the M's.

I would have no problems parking a BMW in my garage. Pretty much very different tools for different task.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:42 PM

everyone is saying the 335 is more luxury then a evo which may be very true but you cant compare jdm luxury to german luxury its two different things, a pair of bride seats which go for like 1400 is considered jdm luxury , i hope you guys can see the point im tryin to make, and who ever said a stock 335 can beat a stock evo .........................stop itt pleasee
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

i had an evo ix with ~380whp and now own a 135i...the 135i is definitely quicker stock vs. stock and modability some people need to do their homework. JB4 on a stock N54 motor(135 or 335) is averaging anywhere from 340-360whp without ANY engine mods. It cost me $479 for it which is basically what a tuner costs to tune an evo. Yes the parts are expensive but its not that bad...intake exhaust FMIC and dowpipes your looking right around 400whp which is great IMO. Yes the fuel pump and injector issues suck but they replace them under warranty no questions asked. Interior is so much better than the evo will ever be...i can see where the guy said the 335 gives u a feeling you are detached from the car but its still an amazing car...the 135i has that nimble steering and you really feel like you're driving the car.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I cant see the 335 as being boring by any means sure the mods are more expensive and it has its share of warrantiable problems but it doesn't make the car crap. Honestly I would love a 335xi sedan as a daily with the juicebox and a few bolt ons. Im sure it would be as fun as my stage 3 s4 since im getting problems up the *** with it now.. Anyone have any info on how to turbos are holding up with mods? I know the s4 was notorious for blowing turbos once you chipped them since it raises the boost. It wasn't like they might blow, no they will blow. Theres gotta be some higher mileage 335s by now. I dont want to get another car that has that crap all over again. I dont think most people push the car past a JB and bolts anyways which is why I ask.

Quick Reply: Evo IX vs. BMW 335