Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo IX vs. BMW 335

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX vs. BMW 335

On the surgace it seems like the 335 might be a good alternative to the Evo for someone wanting a fast car, but a little more comfort than the Evo provides. Has anyone owned both or driven both that can give a comparison in terms of speed, handling, comfort, "modability", etc? I did a search but didn't find any recent threads comparing the two cars.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Your not going to get the high hp numbers an evo gets. With all the fuel system problems BMW is having Im not sure I would get one. BMWs tend to have a lot of problems in general. I know. I work on them for a living. At this point in time I love my Evo and wouldnt trade it for a 335. Maybe in 10-15 years I would.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend has a bolt on 335I and I barely pulled him with 374awhp. It was a very fun car to drive too. The 335 felt more responsive but wouldn't hold its own to an Evo on any type of track. Also my friend priced out a new motor incase he blew his and it came to 20k, no thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
umm...335's have bad fuel pump issues...

my friend has one right now...too much electronic bs to deal with...its a really nice car...if you keep it stock...

if you want to mod it and go fast...go with an evo.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
My friend has a bolt on 335I and I barely pulled him with 374awhp. It was a very fun car to drive too. The 335 felt more responsive but wouldn't hold its own to an Evo on any type of track. Also my friend priced out a new motor incase he blew his and it came to 20k, no thanks.
I think the avg HP is about 400hp from a bolt on 335 with a flash so that's probably why you barely pulled him.

Originally Posted by tim85851
umm...335's have bad fuel pump issues...

my friend has one right now...too much electronic bs to deal with...its a really nice car...if you keep it stock...

if you want to mod it and go fast...go with an evo.
Not only bad fuel pumps but bad injectors, fuel pressure sensors and software issues.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 09:01 AM

go check out ams 335i it sounds amazing...
Old Mar 4, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought about it for awhile. I have driven both the 335i and E92 M2 because I was ready to pull the trigger. Yes, the interior is MUCH nicer and the seats are very comfortable and fit and finish is very good. Exterior wise I think the car looks sleeker and just has better overall lines. Not as aggressive looking but I think it looks nicer overall (personal preference). Handling wise it's hard to compare as I drive my car with R comps and Ohlins 24/7 so the 335i rode well but steering felt not nearly as responsive and the car pushed and had a fair amount of body roll. It can be fixed but the steering just felt numb in comparison and they have crappy hydraulic subframe bushings that really make the rear end hard to "feel".

Power wise it was impressive. Even in stock form it had a good amount of torque and even with longer gearing pulled pretty well. I have seen it's not too difficult to get 400whp/450wtq on pump with bolt ons. Not too shabby. The fuel pump issue is apparent but not sure if it's a major deterrent considering Evo's have just as many little problems. Seems some vendors are coming out with aftermarket HPFP replacements so that shouldn't be a major problem. Price wise they are a good car. If you are willing to step up in build quality and refinement but lose a touch of handling I would say it's the right car. For me I like to go to the track every now and then and it just wouldn't work for my usage. The E92 M3 on the other hand was more is the ball park though...
Old Mar 4, 2011, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
yeah my next car (dreaming) will be an e92 m3.. in white or dakar yellow lol.

in terms of fuel pump and whatever, im sure anyone with a brain who mods their 335i will mod the pump etc... even most evos replace the pump anyway after 350whp to a walbro or w/e
Old Mar 4, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with the 335i is the pump setup is quite a bit more complex. It's not just a drop in affair. If it were vendors would have created a substitute quite awhile ago. IIRC they just recently got an aftermarket replacement made. I believe AMS was one of the earlier shops to get one done.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Mc Dougal,

My name is Carlos and I owned both cars, in fact, I purchased them brand new. To be specific my Evo IX GG was purchased in September of 2005 and my BMW 335i was purchased in March 2007 but delivered to me straight from the german factory in May.

I tested them both stock at the local track(Tucson International raceway). My 335i was the automatic with Sport package. The 335i out of the box is quicker and faster, there is no argument. Even tuned the 335i is still quicker and faster.

Since most of the people are focused on just straight line acceleration I will tell you again that the 335i with just a tune(Vishnu procede 1.4) will trap speeds that my Evo could only get with full exhaust , MBC , tune and air filter.

Quality wise, the Evo falls a few galaxies behind. The BMW just wipes the Evos when it comes to comfort, equipment, quality, etc and for the price you get a whole lot out of the BMW which after all is not that much more expensive than an Evo considering how well the BMW is equipped.

Both cars are so iconic and such stellar performers that it will be very very difficult for me to decide which one to suggest. The main advantage of the Evo is the AWD.

The N54 engine on the 335i is the reference on the world industry as far power and refinement with good gas mileage. The N54 has virtually no lag and pulll massive torque at very low RPMS while the Evo you must be on the proper gear.

I highly recommend you get the Auto 335i, it is worldwide proven to be more reliable and faster than the manual EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Avoid getting the 335i without Sport package. The Sport package is equivalent to have the recaro seats on a Evo with the bigger tires and sport suspension. Also, the Sport package included an oil cooler.

Anyways, I could go on and on. I love both cars soo much that I will eventually have them both again simultaneously. My 335i was traded in for a 08 Corvette Z06 (new) and my Evo IX was traded in for a new GLI after going through a clutch, brakes and tires within the first 12-14000 miles.

Take care!

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 11, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Sold my evo last week and picked up a 2008 335i coupe this week, the BMW has features the evo can only wish to have, the car is fast, tons of torque, no lag, smooth, great looks, overall a great car. The evo well, its an evo, a straight out ***** to the wall sports car that is rough. If you are looking to have huge horse power numbers then stick with the evo, if you want a car that you can drive everyday, have features and comfort then go with the 335i. I love the 335i more than i ever loved the evo but that is just me. The bmw comes with excellent warranty so any issues will be covered unlike the horrible mitsu warranty the evo has. Go test drive both and see what you like, some people would never trade an evo for a 335i and some would never trade the bmw for the evo, its all preference. Try both, get what you like and dont pay attention to what people say, in the end you are the one that is going to live with the decision you make so dont let anyone else make it for you. Get into both cars and pick your favorite
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Bmw warranty is very good. Even if its mildly modded its covered without question.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the last few comments; very informative. Would you say that the Evo X is between the IX and the 335 in terms of comfort?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

I would think so.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

i own both an IX and a 335xi, he 335 is a piece of garbage. Stay away, has no driving feel to it, always is beeping for no reason and feels like driving a couch.

Quick Reply: Evo IX vs. BMW 335