Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2006 Evo Mr Vs. 2011 Subie STI???? Dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Evo Mr Vs. 2011 Subie STI???? Dilemma!

Im in the market for a new car. I had a 2006 Evo Mr and was the perfect car for me. It felt like a new car everytime I got in it. Everything felt right and I babied the damn thing........then a deer killed it.

I have been driving my fiances Mazda2 for a while as its the only car we have at the moment.

The banks have been terrible to get loans out for used cars right now. Its either they want $6000 down or 22% apr or both!!

Subie has a 1.9% apr for 4 years right now on the STI's until March 31.

I just got my tax refund back and i have enough for a good down payment.

Problem is do I want to go back and try and get a 25,000 2006 vehicle (which was a dream btw) or get a NEW full of warranty STI with a great apr?

just want thots and feedback. experiences would be amazing too!! THX!!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:40 AM

I just recently came from a 2004 STi, the only thing I can say about a new Subie is Subaru's Warranty is pretty straight foward they usually cover pretty much anything as long as you get a dealer thats decently "Mod" friendly
Old Mar 8, 2011, 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

Older subies didn't interest me.....I really don't like how (to me) Mitsubishi went backwards...almost conforming to the sedan crowd with the X.

the STI's now are doing the opposite.....going the right way such as in style and looks. At least for me.

Last edited by teudmunki9mr; Mar 8, 2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 02:54 AM

Tbh for me atleast given the choice evo every day of the week but a new car imo ... even tho I hate subies would prob be ur best bet and I do like the styling on the 11' sti
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
get a loan from a credit union, not the bank. my first loan, no real credit history, approved for 18,000 at 3.7% on 5-year
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
get a loan from a credit union, not the bank. my first loan, no real credit history, approved for 18,000 at 3.7% on 5-year
This. Credit Unions are your friends when it comes to new and used cars, that's all I've ever used to purchase a vehicle and it's paid off in terms of savings and convenience every time.

On another note, the new Scoobies are sexy IMO. Even the hatches have some sex appeal to em but that's because I'm bias and already drive a hatch. I think it's worth giving some serious consideration before jumping on the first used MR that comes your way.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Go with what you will be happy with. If you don't then you will not be satisfied. This is the best philosophy.

Btw, if the MR you once had was the perfect car, you wouldn't be thinking about another.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:50 AM

id say evo all the way =p. a buddy of mine got a 2011 evo and put just an intake on it and has driving issues with it so he had to put the stock airbox on. i would guess that the 2011 sti might do the same thing.id g simpiler with the 06 evo gsr or rs. =p
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly give the subby a shot! The 11 STI is not as bad as the older ones.
So what color are u getting? Pearl white?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
This +2! Credit unions are the best places to get car loans from. Personally I think the Evo IX is a far better looking car but 1.9% on a new car is a tough deal to pass up and if you plan on modding most Mitsu dealers don't tend to be very mod friendly.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
The boxer motor won't hold up to the same kind of abuse that the 4G63 can take, but the new STi is supposed to handle pretty good, although not quite as good as the Evo 10. I like the hatchback body style. The sedan body is meh IMHO.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

wow. that a lot of input. Thx everybody!!

1st...credit unions. I know of them but ive never done business with them. Seems like I need to be friendly with them soon.

2nd....i didn't really abuse my evo when i had it. i actually babied it most of the time. Made sure my shifts were perfect for not to burn the clutch (installed new exedy stage 1) and whatnot. I did however boost every once in a while (but really who can't when owning an evo). So as far as what engine can take the most isn't really an issue.

i loved the simplicity of the evo mr...yeah the aggression was amazing. Ive never driven an sti and from what ive read and heard its kind of like a tamed evo.
which would kill the deal right there.

I will not get an EVO X. They are sexy and I do admire them but they are not for me.....

Thx for the input everybody!!! Next stop...CREDIT UNION. i hope theres one in town

any more stories or experiences?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

BTW thank you for whoever moved this to....Miscellaneous > Other Cars and not saying anything about it....my bad
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Remember, the 4G63 is an Iron brick and will take mistakes and so on. The STI motor is made of glass and harder to make power. Keeping stock? STI. Wana mod, Evo, Evo handles better too.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

So can anyone confirm they updated the '11 STI motors? I know there was a good amount of engine failures with the '09-'10 model years, supposedly the engines were even having a hard time staying together with only a tune, TBE and intake. AWD Motorsports STI motor went with 6k miles bone stock.

Quick Reply: 2006 Evo Mr Vs. 2011 Subie STI???? Dilemma!