Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Forged Performance: HKS GT800 Turbo Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forged Performance: HKS GT800 Turbo Kit Install

Today we are installing an HKS GT800 Turbo Kit on a customer's R35 GT-R. This turbo upgrade with supporting mods will turn the GT-R into a 9 second street monster while still retaining AC, power steering, navigation and all the luxuries that are expected from an R35. We are expecting to see 700+whp once the kit is installed and tuning is completed

Unboxing and prepping for install....

Old May 13, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much labor is involved in a turbo swap on those? Do you have to drop the motor or is it just easier that way? It looks like a tight squeeze, like the old 3000gt's but I saw a guy do a turbo swap on one leaving the motor in (mind you I've never worked on one myself). What's the charge for something like that out of curiosity
Old May 13, 2011, 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 05blue8
How much labor is involved in a turbo swap on those? Do you have to drop the motor or is it just easier that way? It looks like a tight squeeze, like the old 3000gt's but I saw a guy do a turbo swap on one leaving the motor in (mind you I've never worked on one myself). What's the charge for something like that out of curiosity
The labor is quite involved. As you can see it requires motor removal which is much more intensive on the GT-R than it is on the Evo's. Due to the tight clearances in the GT-R the motor does have to be removed. This kit retails for $12995 not including the install or some of the other supporting modifications. As for the total cost of this project, I will leave that information disclosed out of respect for this customers privacy.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why so expensive for the kit? I think they price the kits towards the market of the car. Also is it me or are the welds on the Downpipe suspect? I guess this is a really good kit though, HKS is top quality, I shutter to think of how much the labor is.

Are these BB turbos?
How much low end is lost if any?
Old May 13, 2011, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Why so expensive for the kit? I think they price the kits towards the market of the car. Also is it me or are the welds on the Downpipe suspect? I guess this is a really good kit though, HKS is top quality, I shutter to think of how much the labor is.

Are these BB turbos?
How much low end is lost if any?
Everything is significantly more expensive on the GTR. All of the manufactures price parts towards the market as you guessed. For reference most midpipes are in the $1200 range. The welds on the downpipes are just fine, it may just be how they are appearing in the picture. I'm sure Chad can take some closer shots of the welds. They are BB turbo's. I have seen mixed results as far as low end power with this kit, but overall it seems to be VERY responsive considering the power potential. We will be posting the results as soon as we have them available. It won't be hard to do an overlay of a stock turbo GTR compared to this kit.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Great I would love to see the overlay. Man oh man I want a 2012 GTR.
Old May 16, 2011, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Update: Turbo's are mounted!

Old May 17, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I can see where a lot of the costs come from. It probably took a lot of R&D to make everything fit. Those are custom cast compressor housings and exhaust manifolds. Maybe the turbine housings too. New castings means new tooling which equals a lot of money up front they had to spend. And the GTR market is relatively small; how many of these kits do you think they can sell? 100? 200? So they have to make sure they recoup all their costs.

Lets say they spent about $500k in this project. Making $6k profit per kit they sell. They would have to sell 84 kits just to break even.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone know the power limits of the stock GTR bottom end?
Old May 17, 2011, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CNano8
Anyone know the power limits of the stock GTR bottom end?
Some info in here:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...omponents.aspx
Old May 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Wastegates are mounted now as well....

Old May 18, 2011, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
nice read thanks
Old May 18, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The built is coming along very nice. The quality of HKS is unquestionable but this is a car and a project that is completely out of reach for most of the people. Even if you had the money it is still a large sum of money to have a car to play around.

I think many people are happy with lesser Evo with FP blacks set ups for a fraction. You can put this car on y wish list as well because it seems like owing such car you are untouchable on the streets(not even motorcycles).

Carlos
Old May 20, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

do you have to do any trans mods when you are putting down that much power?
Old May 23, 2011, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Right now he's using Dodson clutch packs. Later in the year he will get further upgrades using Dodson products.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: HKS GT800 Turbo Kit Install