Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Father's Day Special - List Dad's rides

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Father's Day Special - List Dad's rides

Had a wonderful fathers day with my pops and we finally sat down and did something i was curious about all these years. Ever since he taught me to drive, he told me to always respect the cars, drive assertively but never outside your skill level or the cars, treat her like the lady she is, and lastly performance matters. Always

So of course I was curious what the full list of cars hes owned was since i only know of what he had from my childhood. keep in mind he's not of gearhead status, doesn't do any wrenching or anything like that. but he does take impeccable care of his cars and values performance and the driving experience.

so heres the list, but the point is to stir up discussion around if your father is the one that got you into cars or at least got you to respect performance when you see it

Got his license in 1965
Graduated high school in 1967, here it goes
1966 Pontiac LeMans - Used (first car, couldnt afford a GTO but wanted one real bad)
1967 Mustang Coupe - Used
1969 Charger R/T - Used
1971 Buick Skylark - Used (bought it early that year and was totaled)
1971 Mercury Cougar - Used (bought the same year with the Skylark check lol)
1974 Chevy Malibu - New
1976 Grand Prix - New
1981 Pontiac Firebird
1982 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - New(winning)
....he got married....i showed up
1984 Nissan Maxima - New (lasted less than 5 months, couldnt stand it )
1985 Pontiac Trans Am - New
1990 Mazda MX-6 - New
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL - New (wanted a VR-4, but just bought a house)
......must stipulate that at this point he had "made it" in the corporate world and wanted some luxury
1996 Acura TL 3.0 - New
1999 BMW 328 ci - New (had for 6 years, the record for longest hes ever owned one car!)
2004 Mercedes CLK320 - Used
.....i then got my evo x in 2008.....he had to get awd after riding in it a couple times lol
2007 BMW x3 - used (wanted car like handling in a crossover, lasted just over one year)
and as a bday present to himself for his 60th, in 2009 he got a Infiniti G37x Coupe. That thing is nice.

You'll notice theres only two 4doors in that list, dude just loves coupes
Post up your dad's rides!!!

Last edited by Jblade; Jun 19, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad has never owned a car with an automatic transmission in his 63 years on this planet.

What he drives now:

Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

My dad has never owned an automatic of his own in his life either, other than my mom's cars. His list of cars isn't quite that extensive, but he currently daily drives a stock VIII MR (low rexpeed wing and some Enkei's/Z1's), and has a '95 Eclipse GSX with around 400whp. He's had his Eclipse since late 1994. It was 100% stock up to about 190k miles. He's been rebuilding it over the past 6 years, and it's been VERY bumpy road as the car hardly ran for any of it, and if it did, it was never "good". But now the car is at about 95%. He wants cams, a paint job and new wheels/tires. In those 6 years, he daily drove an Audi A4 1.8T 5-speed. It started costing him a lot of money. So he went and test drove 335xi's, 2010 A4's, etc. He settled on the used 2005 VIII MR he currently has.

I took these pics of his Eclipse yesterday. I didn't like the headlights at first, as I'm more of a plain and simple guy, but they've grown on me. I'm thankful he's going to get new wheels. He bought these back in the late 90's.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Jun 19, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

nice rides! i cant say the same for my dad with the whole auto thing. when he met and married my mom, she wouldnt let him get anything she wouldnt be able to drive in an emergency. Sadly she never wanted to learn to drive a manual because she hates driving all together

The one thing i dont like is that he hopped from car to car instead of keeping the good ones. im a mopar fan personally and i would have loved if he had held on to that 69 charger r/t, seriously
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jblade
nice rides! i cant say the same for my dad with the whole auto thing. when he met and married my mom, she wouldnt let him get anything she wouldnt be able to drive in an emergency. Sadly she never wanted to learn to drive a manual because she hates driving all together

The one thing i dont like is that he hopped from car to car instead of keeping the good ones. im a mopar fan personally and i would have loved if he had held on to that 69 charger r/t, seriously
Sounds like somebody else in your life...

The only good car from my dad's history is a late 60s Mustang. Other than that I remember a Chrysler Cordoba or Dodge Mirada, Dodge Dynasty, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Honda Prelude, and a Chevy Blazer.

My grandpa and two of my uncles were the racers with the good cars. Pretty much any Mopar you can name, they had/have it.

Recent pic I took a few weeks ago of what one of my uncles is working on.

Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:14 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My dad is deathly afraid of automobiles; got his license in 1977 at the tender age of 41. These were his cars:

'69 Nova
'73 Nova
'71 Chevelle (all with 307 2-barrel)

2 Nissan Sentra Wagons (IIRC, a '81 and a '87)
Subaru Outback wagon
'06 Mazda 3 (he hated it)
Honda CRV (current)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ for somebody afraid of cars, im surprised he ended up in not one but two novas (307s but still)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jblade
^ for somebody afraid of cars, im surprised he ended up in not one but two novas (307s but still)
The '69 was kinda light on its feet, relatively speaking. I spun it out on an off-ramp the very first day I got my license. Never worse for wear; my dad never noticed.