Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Ken Block's newest racecar: The Hybrid Function Hoon Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Ken Block's newest racecar: The Hybrid Function Hoon Vehicle

Ken Block unveils his new racecar, the H.F.H.V., or "Hybrid Function Hoon Vehicle", a unique vehicle made to compete in three disciplines of racing: Stage rally, rallycross, and Gymkhana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paoPcFvsbrA
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take it under any one of these setups! Especially the full rally setup!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

hotness...
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take 2
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:21 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
mitsubishi should hire him. he doesn't win races yet is a youtube sensation.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And he totals it in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

I don't get it.

Awesome video and car but from an outside perspective it seems like he is becoming more of a personality and these cars are more for marketing than racing.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Am I the only person who thinks Ken Block is a joke...?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2004EvoVIII
I don't think he is the most talented driver on the circuit today but he has done much for the rally racing scene here in America. He is fun to watch in his videos. And, he is doing "exactly" what I would be doing if I had the money to do it!

EDIT: If they build it I will buy!!

Last edited by RallyBud; Jul 27, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

I want one
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RallyBud
I don't think he is the most talented driver on the circuit today but he has done much for the rally racing scene here in America. He is fun to watch in his videos. And, he is doing "exactly" what I would be doing if I had the money to do it!
He has made 11 year old children run around malls sporting "Monster" this and "Ken Block" that - yet when you stop them or their parents and ask them what his car is, they have no clue? He hasn't done anything for rally racing - he has done only what hieghtens his IMAGE and what sells stuff for his sponsor companies. I personally think he is a garbage racer. Just my opinion though.

And I don't disagree with this - if I had ***** to the walls cash I would be out their destroying stuff on company money and learning to be the best damn racer out there. But that is the problem - he ISN'T GOOD! I bet you 9 out of 10 people will know who Ken Block is, but then ask them who Colin McRae is and I bet you'll get a look 9 out of 10 times. Same with Travis Pastrana. Mild talent + too much money = ego gone rampant.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

He has made 11 year old children run around malls sporting "Monster" this and "Ken Block" that - yet when you stop them or their parents and ask them what his car is, they have no clue? He hasn't done anything for rally racing - he has done only what hieghtens his IMAGE and what sells stuff for his sponsor companies. I personally think he is a garbage racer. Just my opinion though.

And I don't disagree with this - if I had ***** to the walls cash I would be out their destroying stuff on company money and learning to be the best damn racer out there. But that is the problem - he ISN'T GOOD! I bet you 9 out of 10 people will know who Ken Block is, but then ask them who Colin McRae is and I bet you'll get a look 9 out of 10 times. Same with Travis Pastrana. Mild talent + too much money = ego gone rampant.
I don't disagree with you on all points. Travis is much more talented at rally racing. I frequent Special Stage forums (rally racing) where Ken has been the topic of much discussion. Most know that he isn't the most talented but the exposure alone is welcomed to an otherwise dying sport. Not to mention I had the opportunity to meet Ken up at Team O'Neil and he was a very humble and nice guy.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
....these cars are more for marketing than racing.

That's the idea here. When a company has money to throw away, but doesn't employ driver's who bring the gold in, that is the approach you take. The end goal for all forms of racing is to advertise the manufacturer marque & sell cars - that is what pays the bills. Racing is very costly & the major reason manufacturers do it is for advertising reasons.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

There is nothing wrong with building a brand around your name; however, if you do not have the ethos to support that name and/or brand, then you are fundamentally hurting said name, brand, and/or organization associated with your name.

Sure it may be welcome exposure, but now its up to whoever runs rallying in America to step up their marketing and promotions so that the sport as a whole starts progressing instead of a single driver, who frankly doesnt win much lol. I have yet to see a single rally race on TV besides the xgames
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nope. See post #6

Quick Reply: Ken Block's newest racecar: The Hybrid Function Hoon Vehicle