Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Buying brand new car, buying used or lease?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying brand new car, buying used or lease?

The reason i made this was because i wanted to learn or to know what is the best. I have basic idea however I want to know your deepest and most helpful opinion about which one is better and a budget-saver these days?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a certified used

Last edited by MR. EVO MR; Jul 31, 2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

i like 2 yr leases, in two yrs when you need the regular maintenance such as tires, brakes fluids and more, its time to turn it in and if you really like the car you can always keep it.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First, you have to determine what car you are looking at and what your goals and intended use for the car will be as buying and leasing both have benefits.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 08:16 PM

I'd never lease a car, ever. Go buy a certified pre-owned car so you have some piece of mind. I just did so about a year back with my GX470 and it's been great so far.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

I lease almost all my cars besides the evo since its just a toy and I had it 4 years already, it seems like just yesterday I got it. Sometimes you see deals for 27 months which isnt bad. Its nice because your always getting into brand new cars with no headaches or stuff thats gotta be changed. I really dont like keeping DD's over 3 years. So I figured why would I croke myself with a higher payment then just get killed on the trade-in anyway when I go to a new car... I always try to trade up into a more expensive car. The money I save in the monthly payment (finance vs lease) I use that to put the down payment on the next one. Like in the next few weeks im going to be looking at a Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:32 AM

The difference in a lease payment vs payment to own isn't that big. And, once you have it paid off, you can sell that car (which hopefully you invested in a car that won't depreciate to much) and have a ton of $ to put into your next!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CNano8
Sometimes you see deals for 27 months which isnt bad. Its nice because your always getting into brand new cars with no headaches or stuff thats gotta be changed. I really dont like keeping DD's over 3 years. So I figured why would I croke myself with a higher payment then just get killed on the trade-in anyway when I go to a new car. The money I save in the monthly payment (finance vs lease) I use that to put the down payment on the next one.
This is a fantastic reason why leasing is a good route to go.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

I go on leaseguide.com, alot of information about residual value, bank rates etc. then you can put your own numbers in and see if its a good deal or not. The majority of the cars residual value (value after x amount of years) is incredible. The silverado's residual was only 49% of the MSRP after 2 years if I remember right. Pretty much if the truck cost $50,000 its safe to say its going to be worth, more or less, only $26,000 after a couple years! Then the stealership goes and puts it on the lot for $35,000 lol /endrant

Last edited by CNano8; Aug 5, 2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

It's a numbers game. With leasing you pay for the depreciation, with financing you pay for the entire vehicle.

Theoretically, leasing usually makes sense if you are the type to switch into a new car every few years. Financing makes sense if you are planning to stick with a car long term.

I say theoretically, because dealers play all kinds of games, and depending on how the numbers work out you can get screwed either way. You definitely need to do your homework based on model, rates, and payments and have a number in your head before you ever step foot into a dealership.

Also there is plenty of information and guides online.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
I say theoretically, because dealers play all kinds of games, and depending on how the numbers work out you can get screwed either way. You definitely need to do your homework based on model, rates, and payments and have a number in your head before you ever step foot into a dealership.
This