Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FOUR; THE HOLLYWOOD MEGAMERCIAL 314 videos Subscribe Subscribe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FOUR; THE HOLLYWOOD MEGAMERCIAL 314 videos Subscribe Subscribe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btViXvIDsi0
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entertaining! I need to win the lottery. IF I do, I'll be doing what Ken does.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
haha awesome
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help but despise the fact that Ford won't shut up about these cars when they only build FWD cars for consumers. My problem is that they contradict themselves about why.......

In the past ford says AWD made the car slower during development and only added weight. Therefore it was better to just have FWD since it was lighter.

Then they go build special one-off AWD cars to go race. To me that says something like "YOU are too dumb for AWD, and you're not as serious as you think when you ask for it... but WE on the other hand are professionals and will contradict our own statements that AWD made the car worse, and go build one anyways, but you can't have one.... oh and look how much better the car actually is, we'll advertise that just to tease you."

My 2 cents.... sell what you race or go home. I'm so sick of hearing about Fords unobtainum rally cars. Stealing the spotlight away from the *real* cars that mere mortals can buy. Rooting for them is like rooting for a company that doesn't give back to motorsports. When they are on top the AWD Turbo enthusiasts like us get NOTHING. So root for Mitsu/Subaru if only for the fact that they share their toys with the public. If Ford had their way, you wouldn't have your AWD Rally car. You would have a FWD car and pay nearly Evo prices for it... They have Mustangs to sell.

Last edited by acidtonic; Aug 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by acidtonic
I can't help but despise the fact that Ford won't shut up about these cars when they only build FWD cars for consumers. My problem is that they contradict themselves about why.......

In the past ford says AWD made the car slower during development and only added weight. Therefore it was better to just have FWD since it was lighter.

Then they go build special one-off AWD cars to go race. To me that says something like "YOU are too dumb for AWD, and you're not as serious as you think when you ask for it... but WE on the other hand are professionals and will contradict our own statements that AWD made the car worse, and go build one anyways, but you can't have one.... oh and look how much better the car actually is, we'll advertise that just to tease you."

My 2 cents.... sell what you race or go home. I'm so sick of hearing about Fords unobtainum rally cars. Stealing the spotlight away from the *real* cars that mere mortals can buy. Rooting for them is like rooting for a company that doesn't give back to motorsports. When they are on top the AWD Turbo enthusiasts like us get NOTHING. So root for Mitsu/Subaru if only for the fact that they share their toys with the public. If Ford had their way, you wouldn't have your AWD Rally car. You would have a FWD car and pay nearly Evo prices for it... They have Mustangs to sell.
I do agree mostly with this.

Also, doesn't it seem like the Gymkhana videos started out awesome, pure, and just raw? Now it's a circus with even more editing and junk. I don't want to see gorillas and dancers half the video, just sayin
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xwwgsr
I do agree mostly with this.

Also, doesn't it seem like the Gymkhana videos started out awesome, pure, and just raw? Now it's a circus with even more editing and junk. I don't want to see gorillas and dancers half the video, just sayin
This is quickly turning into a marketing device for the FWD Fiesta. Similar to those dancing VW bug commercials or BMW Painting commercials.

Block's video started off as something much less corporate. Now it's like watching a commercial for a product you can't buy. Boo
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:49 PM

This is quickly turning into a marketing device for the FWD Fiesta. Similar to those dancing VW bug commercials or BMW Painting commercials.

Block's video started off as something much less corporate. Now it's like watching a commercial for a product you can't buy. Boo
Agreed, good point. Can you even get the Fiesta RS in Europe?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xwwgsr
Agreed, good point. Can you even get the Fiesta RS in Europe?
Nothing with AWD, here or Europe. Their Rally cars are one-off purpose built cars. Even their Fiesta decided to run a 2.0 instead of the smaller motor which I found amusing since from the beginning I thought both ST versions should have a 2.0 Turbo.

We just want something at a dealership. It's not like I'm here saying the car sucks or something. Quite the opposite! It's an awesome car but we're getting sick of the teasing! Sell it, or race something closer to what you sell. If you don't have a rally car that's a personal problem!

Bring back homologation requirements per country! Force them to sell a Rally car if they want to race in Rally. The Fiesta is slaughtering the other racers in X-Games and WRC. Pro drivers in one-off builds competing against private teams running WRX/EVOs with all their production-grade compromises. It's not terribly fair to say the least when the Ford car has 100hp+ more than the private cars.

I don't remember the past competitions being so "stacked" towards one car or driver . I just want to see a good fair race with vehicles we can possibly own someday. More and more this is becoming a closed sport.....
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:37 PM

Nothing with AWD, here or Europe. Their Rally cars are one-off purpose built cars. Even their Fiesta decided to run a 2.0 instead of the smaller motor which I found amusing since from the beginning I thought both ST versions should have a 2.0 Turbo.

We just want something at a dealership. It's not like I'm here saying the car sucks or something. Quite the opposite! It's an awesome car but we're getting sick of the teasing! Sell it, or race something closer to what you sell. If you don't have a rally car that's a personal problem!

Bring back homologation requirements per country! Force them to sell a Rally car if they want to race in Rally. The Fiesta is slaughtering the other racers in X-Games and WRC. Pro drivers in one-off builds competing against private teams running WRX/EVOs with all their production-grade compromises. It's not terribly fair to say the least when the Ford car has 100hp+ more than the private cars.

I don't remember the past competitions being so "stacked" towards one car or driver . I just want to see a good fair race with vehicles we can possibly own someday. More and more this is becoming a closed sport.....
yeah, that's for sure. Those Fiestas in the Global Rallycross and stuff are amazing, nothing keeps up with them. Make Dave Mirra's STi look stupid. It is pretty demoralizing, to say the least.