Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

So, you're thinking about getting a motorcycle? [Warning: page-stretching picture]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, you're thinking about getting a motorcycle? [Warning: page-stretching picture]

[I'm by no means trying to force my views on you. If you're dead set on getting a CBR600RR or R1 for your first bike, by all means click the back button. I just ask you take a little time to read these articles and get a little knowledge about what you're getting into.]

After browsing some of the topics here, I've seen a few (in my opinion) bad suggestions for a first bike. A beginner motorcyclist should be worried about proper posture, lean angles, and generally learning how to be a good motorcyclist. What they should not be worrying about is trying as hard as they can to not wreck. With an inline four supersport, and it's high revving, instant and unforgiving throttle response, and the temptation to do something stupid, you'll be doing the latter. With a proper beginner bike, you can take the focus off controlling the mad beast, and focus on riding technique. In short, the former.

With that said, here's two pieces of literature every beginner motorcyclist should read.

This first one, I'm not sure who wrote it, but it's just about the most helpful piece of literature when you're new.

This one, written by my good friend, "Gaf," is a general FAQ about starting your motorcycling "career," if you will.