Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo for B5 S4

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None of the CTS's are very fast other than the v are they? I do really like the CTS-V but would like to stay awd. Thanks for all the options guys, all seem to be good thoughts. I'll look into the E55 too. They already turbo?
I am not partial to the Evo, haven't really ever gotten to where I love the looks, just the way it drives. I could go over to the infamous STi jk
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
honestly I liked my VIII's Recaro's better than the X's. Thought they were more comfortable.
I remember when the X first came out I sat in one at the dealership and I can remember saying wow my IX seats are nicer
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CNano8
I remember when the X first came out I sat in one at the dealership and I can remember saying wow my IX seats are nicer
I agree..

Last edited by bluepeartype-s; Aug 24, 2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
I agree..
Maybe I should look to trade for an 8 or 9 haha. They're supposed to be more fun to drive anyway aren't they?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

I drove 13hrs straight in my ix.. no problems.. and I have back problems. I think the ssl seats are comfy as hell. But I'm happy with my stock ix seats. There are a bunch of different seats that will fit in your car.. might need some different seat rails, but it can be done pretty inexpensively. Otherwise, I would say look at a subaru legacy spec b... Or a viii or ix, or a mazdaspeed6 to lower you payments and still have fun and reliability.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:06 PM

id just like to say, that given my personal experience with the B5 S4, i would pass if it is going to be your daily driver.

- RS4 k04's, or RS6 turbos are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if they ever blow(which they will of course, its an audi afterall)
- control arms always go bad
- wheel bearings always go bad
- brakes are expensive, probably more than servicing the evo brembos
- most maintenance requires the front end be removed.
- 2 turbos = 2 problems
- parts are getting harder and harder to source
- the 01E transmission is hit or miss with reliability( 1-2 collar/hub and 3-4 collar and hubs are common issues)
- ABS control modules always go bad.

sure, a stage 3ish S4 is a blast to drive, tons of torque, and low 12s capable on pump gas, but they are old, and most of them are pretty wrung out by now. they dont have the cheap speed potential of something like an evo 8 or 9, to get past the 450awhp range takes alot, like the TiAL GT turbo upgrade, fuel software, clutch, probably a trans rebuild too otherwise you probably wont shift above 6500rpm very easy.

if you want another car, and what turbo/awd buy another Evo like an 8 or 9, or buy a 335xi something a bit newer with a better chance of survival.