Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo for B5 S4

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo for B5 S4

What do you guys think? I am looking to sell my Evo X and go for an all out Stage 3+ B5 S4.

Main thing I dislike about my Evo is how uncomfortable my seats get after driving for nearly 4 hours. Kills my back. So am looking to sell mainly on that excuse. Other than that, I enjoy it greatly. At about 370whp, so it is quick. But I just love the B5 S4...

Any advice on this? Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

wouldnt do it for such a old car.. get a bimmer 335 or B7 S4
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

i come from the 2,7T engine before my evo. It is an entirely different beast. I wouldnt trade my evo for it, but it is a car on the list I want to own again. A all out stage 3 B5 with k04 turbos and supporting mods will be around 440whp. Which is a silly amount of power for that car, but not much for evos.

the main difference is that coming from an evo your going to think it handles like a fat drunken pig on ice skates. tradeoff being the interior will be nice, heated seats, bose sound system etc. Be prepared for regular break downs and expensive repairs.

damn i love the b5 s4 gl with your choice post a link to the audi you like
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:20 PM

Looking into this one for the time being http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/2551052006.html. Would like to find one with the full blown RS6 turbos, but not easy.

I have never been a big BMW fan, but do like the M3 and M5, but that's mainly it.

Does the power feel quite a bit different?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:22 PM

There is this one also, but a bit more http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/...stg-iii&cat=67
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

i think you really ought to drive one before you make this choice. not a good switch in my opinion. certainly much less reliable at any kind of boosted level.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:23 PM

I've kinda been looking around. What would be a good switch for me? Looking to purchase a house soon and want to save up more for a down pmnt, so lowering my car pmnt would be a help.

I want something along the same lines, awd, quick, fun to drive, but I would like something that is a little more comfortable interior wise.

Looked into BMW 530xi, but don't think it will be enough power for me.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

if you find the right deal, you can get a 335xi sedan for less than $20k. way faster stock than the audi and alot faster with just a flash.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:36 PM

The 335xi is faster than a stage 3 s4?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:41 PM

Keep the Evo.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Better spool but more maintenance. I had a stage 2+ and it raped me on maintenance and repair.

"Nicer" interior, yeah, but it's still 10 years old so how nice is it, really?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Coming from a long line of friends with S4's, a good friends successful S4 shop, fastest audis in boston by far, (thats my friend sean's a4 lol) I can tell you its a great car. You just cant compare the v6 to the 4g63. For those who dont know the 2.7 was designed to be a diesel so the bore/stroke etc give you that really down low diesel torque. For instance I had a pretty steep driveway and I can just roll out of first and the car practically pulls itself up the driveway. Its nice cruising in 6th and just getting on at 40% throttle and passing like you just had to drop 2 gears. I have mine tuned pretty easily since its my daily but I have ran it before at about 24-25psi on e85 and let me tell you it rips. People forget to realize when talking about numbers theres something called a powerband lol. Ill use those numbers for instance, a s4 with 450whp and probably 400-420wtq will be infront of an evo with 500whp.. I seen it.. twice with different cars.. With a good driver that acutally knows when to shift when they're supposed to and not redline every gear the car pulls like a freight train. You should watch some videos on youtube, these cars are really kings of the street. Plus I dont think you can get a better sound than the v6 2.7 short of maybe a VW R32. Im actually going to be selling mine because I need a truck for work if your interested.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BriK
"Nicer" interior, yeah, but it's still 10 years old so how nice is it, really?
Lol thats like me saying the your evo is 5 years old, how nice is that interior.. My paint is original and it shines just as hard as my evo when its clean. It really doesn't matter how old the car is, aslong as its been taken care of.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

I also wanted to add that the handling is very nice. Of course its not evo like but very sporty. Going back to back from the evo you will notice the weight but what you also will notice is how planted the car feels to the road. If you ever driven a porsche you will know what I mean it kind of just sits going through the turns. I have H&R Race springs running OZ Superleggeras w/ Falken RT615's the car handles really well. Your talking to a guy whos owned both cars. And whos been in/ seen race 335's with that juicebox **** and the s4 is just a better car for your money. Plus 90% of the "maintenance" is almost always already done. Just off the top of my head I can tell you the car will need Valve Cover Gaskets ($80), Silicone throttle body boot ($45), possibly a cv boot or two ($14) etc but its all simple stuff that anyone who can turn a wrench can change. If you know where to buy the parts online its not expensive like people assume all european cars are..
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

skippity skip skip. Unless your evo has problems now, that is an expensive car to maintain.

Quick Reply: Evo for B5 S4