Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Somebody stop me...!! Kia Optima SX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
The KIA offers allot for the money. I see them everywhere here in Calif. Nice looking car and apparently a good value. With a family on the way I would say it would be a better choice then a X. I have owned a KIA Forte Koup since the beginning of the year and for the price and warranty offered they are a good deal. KIA is killing the market right now. I would say go for it.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs82685
but are you extending your term? It could end up costing you more by switching
Agreed, look at the big picture. You might be lowering your monthly payment but you are losing more in the long run (much more with depreciation).

Having a lower monthly payment isn't called saving money if it never ends. There's a lot to be said for being debt free. The last thing you'd want is to be upside down on a loan with a Kia in my opinion.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My mom recently got a new Sorento and I was eyeballing one of the turbo Optimas in the showroom. I like it a lot as well. Seems like a LOT of car for the money. I'd rock it as a DD for sure.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Did you look at the Suzuki Kizashi? Great reviews, great incentives going on; really fun to drive!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say, the interior looks very functional and packed to the brim with features. The panoramic roof is awesome for being a Kia and the exterior (especially the rear) is kind of DeLoreanish withe the corners and lines. It's no Evo but that is one hell of a transition.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

it looks like a nice car, one of the few I haven't tried yet (and I try everything that comes out on the market)

but korean car depreciation is TERRIBLE. I feel so sorry for my customers (some of them friends) who are trying to trade in their kia/hyundai for an Evo/RA (I sell Mitsu/Hyundai's) - every single one of them are so upside down it's ridiculous. And then the negative equity just carries over and over and over from car to car, and they end up paying at least $600 or more for any kind of car.

buying into a high-depreciation car is a hole you'll almost never fill back up. You'll always be paying for that hole, whether you first fully pay off the car or not - it's not like you get that depreciation back when the car is paid off - the car will keep losing value fast. it's not so bad when they're cheap cars, but the Optima is just toooooo much

and don't just think "Kia's resale is going up". it takes years for a brand's resale value to increase any significant amount, if any. Mitsu and Hyundai make great cars now, but I can tell you from experience, even the newer generation models still worth nothing with resale values.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I had an X with my daughter the first year of her life, it was fine.

The new kias are getting nice though. I wouldnt buy one, but they are nice
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:16 PM
Account Disabled

I'd urge you to wait and see. Unless this is your only car, the trunk shouldn't be an issue. My Evo has worked fine from 0-20 months. Just don't go buy something else until you know it isn't working IMO. But if you get rid of it because you "think" it won't work, you open yourself up for regret. I sure as hell wouldn't sell my Evo to save $100/mo unless that was the difference between sinking and swimming as a family. Only way I'd get rid of it is to buy a car outright and save $600+/mo...seriously if you have to sell it for $100 you either shouldn't have owned it in the first place or you are trying too hard to feel responsible.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

the kia is a nice car, but your planing on getting rid of your evo for that ???? thats really your call dude, remember it is a KIA..... i myself have been fighting to keep my evo, im interested in getting a brand spanking new tundra, but then as i look at my evo 8 in the garage i think to myself DONT DO IT !!!! i've already had alot of people tell me i'll regret it.

So really the choice is yours, just make sure you wont regret what your doing.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by LowTech302
I'd urge you to wait and see. Unless this is your only car, the trunk shouldn't be an issue. My Evo has worked fine from 0-20 months. Just don't go buy something else until you know it isn't working IMO. But if you get rid of it because you "think" it won't work, you open yourself up for regret. I sure as hell wouldn't sell my Evo to save $100/mo unless that was the difference between sinking and swimming as a family. Only way I'd get rid of it is to buy a car outright and save $600+/mo...seriously if you have to sell it for $100 you either shouldn't have owned it in the first place or you are trying too hard to feel responsible.
this really sums it up...
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:16 PM

I sold my evo to buy my house, but i've got a paid off 95 civic to drive around every day. Getting rid of a Evo for a kia just to save some gas money and some monthly payment money doesn't seem worth it. It looks like kia quality is on the upward swing from what i see, but i think the points made about depretiation are valid. That being said, I sure miss my Evo.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:42 PM

One of the only cars I ever regretted selling was my Evo but its your life and you need to do whats best for your family. My friend was just in this predicament and decided to keep the evo and just get the wife a new car. He just couldnt let it go!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is definitely a tough call to make; I've sold an Evo previously and regretted every day of it and wound up buying my current Evo. The handling and acceleration are great stock and the aftermarket is huge. I also recently bought a 2012 Kia Optima SX to replace my wife's Corolla and have to say that you get a lot of car for the money. The performance and handling are decent but nowhere near as good as the Evo; the interior is awesome and packed with tons of features if you get the NAV/Tech package. It may be best to see how things are with the new addition and then make a change if the Evo turns out to be too much hassel.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Nameless Performance is making parts for them as well. We have had them on the dyno doing testing.

Aaron
Old Nov 1, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Like some of the others who posted, I regret selling my previous evo. It made sense to me at the time, so only you can answer your question.

I personally wouldn't do it, I'd find an older camry/accord as a dd and keep the evo. Depending on your budget, there are good used cars out there...I picked up a low mileage 07 gti in Feb. that has decent cargo room, gets 30+ mpgs, and is a blast to drive

This time around I won't let the evo go unless I have no other option.

Quick Reply: Somebody stop me...!! Kia Optima SX