Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mazda RX-8 vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII Comparison!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol... dam u with ur 94.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I guess its one of the small benefits we get for having crappy weather and *****y women!
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we get 94 in va too... at sunocos..

anyway, did someone say the insurance was higher for the rx8!!?? i can't imagine too many rates as being higher than what i pay
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:41 AM

"I know it has a lot to do with the driver, but it seems the STi (in my region) is turning out to be a better autox car than the EVO. Though on a more wide open racetrack it seems the EVO can make up for lost time in the straights compared to the STi. It's almost a push, the STi likes to get a little more sideways on the track and the EVO will stay on the best racing line a little better
." Thats funny
Old Jan 6, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but you can't pump your own gas in Jersey. Against the law. That state sucks ***. I left 12 years ago and never looked back. Rather have 91 **** water, pump my own gas and buy a six pack right at the station and be on my way.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by SVT
Yep. Mazda overrated the hp. It has 197hp & like 165 lbs of torque.
Just for the record, that's the specs for the the automatic RX-8, not the manual version. With just a chip, the manual version can be pushing 260hp, though, so things aren't too bad for RX-8 owners and their car can still be made into a very potent track car, it just doesn't quite come that way stock like they had envisioned.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by SinCityEvo
Yeah, but you can't pump your own gas in Jersey. Against the law. That state sucks ***. I left 12 years ago and never looked back. Rather have 91 **** water, pump my own gas and buy a six pack right at the station and be on my way.
Yeah, this state does suck, especially with this self service prohibition! I will say the gas prices and the higher octanes are better hear than in California. I'll take your weather, roads and women any day!
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:03 PM

lol rx-8's are a joke. i had a run in with one and lets just say acceleration is not one of the cars high points. not that i am putting the rx-8 down but i just feel that these 2 cars just cant be compared. and in regards to the comment of mazdaspeed miatas, i think that i will worry about s2ks before miatas even if they are pushing from what i last heard 170ish hp.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by aZnLaNcEr
lol rx-8's are a joke. i had a run in with one and lets just say acceleration is not one of the cars high points. not that i am putting the rx-8 down but i just feel that these 2 cars just cant be compared. and in regards to the comment of mazdaspeed miatas, i think that i will worry about s2ks before miatas even if they are pushing from what i last heard 170ish hp.
170 hp?

that doesn't seem right... the MSP has a crappier engine than the miata and it is pushing 170

i would think the miata would be a lot closer to 190 or 200
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Well I thought I would chime in on this tread since I can officially state my opinion on both the RX-8 and the EVO. My roommate just got the RX-8 this weekend and he let me take it out for a drive.

Comfort:
First thing I immediately noticed was the seats are very uncomfortable. The bottom of the seat right were my tail bone is there is some kind of metal bar that digs into me if i set up straight, so definetely not a good long trip cruiser. Back seat is on the other hand very nice. I am 5'9" and I fit perfectly and I love how the back seat is split so it feels like bucket seats in the back unlike the evo, passengers will get thrown side to side if cornering hard. Gauges in the car are very nice compared to the EVO, but the only thing I don't like is the digital speedometer. Gauges can be all amber for comfort or they can be set to look like the ones in the new hondas. Very bright with red needles. (Electroluminescent)

Power:
Torque??? lol there is NONE! Car just feels very slow compared to the evo. I would say 0-60 is close to 7 seconds not 5.8 as in stated in most magazine reviews. Power delivery is on the otherhand very very smooth and linear all the way to redline and the car beeps at you around 7800 rpm to shift, but just lacks that kick in the butt feeling the evo gives where your body starts sinking in the seat as the turbo raises pressure in the cylinders.

Handling:

Car corners pretty flat, very little body rolll, drives smoother over bumps than the evo. Steering response is not immediate as in the EVO. I can turn the steering wheel a little bit and it doesn't have the immediate turn in that the EVO has. Feels a lot like my old Integra GSR

Looks:

Fantastic looking car, very different than most cars on the road and since he got black it has the appearance of some kind of batmobile hehe

Final opinion:

This car is not for me. Too slow, worse gas mileage than the EVO, not as comfortable as the EVO and definetly not as fun to drive overall.

Last edited by caymandiver75; Mar 15, 2004 at 07:51 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:17 AM
SVT
Evolving Member

My buddy got one the other day. I've been hanging out at the 8 forums a little bit because I like the Wankel. 8 drivers either A)are all uncoordinated dweebs or B)drag racing the wrong car because their drag times suck. like mid to low 15s suck. I'm not mentioning this to point out their lack of accelleration but to point out how the driver must always be in the lowest gear. If those guys can't have any kind of consistent quarter-mile times how consistent will their track times be?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Well.. i guess when Mistubishi has a evo8 MR (Misubishi Racing)
Mazda will have a mazda speed rx-8 =)

http://www.mazda.co.jp/customize/rx-8msv/

kinda looks to much of a s2000 if u ask me

Last edited by X_Dragon; Mar 15, 2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

the RX-8 is downright SEXY. I once said if the rx-8 performed anything like the evo i would cry for not getting it instead. The last time i test drove the highest model rx-8 in its 6 speed form i was completely shocked at the performance. And NOT in a good way. WOW was that crap slow. The car is sexy but its slow as crap on a stick compared to the evo.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:40 AM
Evolving Member

This is an interesting question... RX-8 vs. Evo, however, it might not be the best comparision to date.
I owned an RX-7 through my college years and I now have an Evo. Keep in mind the RX-8 is not an all out pocket-rocket the RX-7 used to be... it's naturally aspirated... and has less upgrading options. The RX-8 is also not a replacement for the RX-7, it serves a different purpose. In order to bring the rotary engine back to the U.S. Mazda had to strip some things down to make it more cost effective for the American public. The turbo was one of the components that would've kept the cost high, and it was the first thing to be axed. It's also a four door to keep insurance costs low, the 7 was a two door. Fluctuations between the American and Japanese markets, and the increase in insurance costs, drove the expensive turbo rockets (Supra TT, 300ZX TT, RX-7) out of the States. The RX-8 brings the rotary back to the U.S. but does it more cost effectively, but with less power.

Round 1 goes to the Evo.

However, the next generation RX-7 turbo may come to the U.S. once again. It's slated for 2005 but I'm not sure if it will sold in the U.S. If it does, the new RX-7 vs. the Evo would be an interesting comparison
Old Mar 17, 2004, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

LOL, well I have a somewhat funny story. Before buying my EVO I went to test drive an RX8, we took our S2K and when we got there we parked and the salesman comes out we were already looking at the RX8. He starts telling us how no car on the road compares with it 250 hp 9K redline blah, blah, blah I say well, I think that compares with it and point at our S2K. LOL, His tone immidiately changes he says well almost no car, he starts to go on about the S how it handles, performs etc, I just laugh.

Anyway we take the 8 out and I was very disappointed. It didnt have the power I expected. I did like the interior and it does handle pretty good and yes the power curve is very smooth. The salesman says what do you think, I say well I would take our S2K over this anyday the S feels faster to me. He says I dont know this has 250 hp etc.. Well once we get back he says can you take me for a spin in the S, I say sure lets go. We get out on the road and I take it to redline in the first few gears and hes like ok, it is faster than the 8, we both laugh a bit and I take him back. He was telling me im sure im not going to sell you this (the 8) maybe if they ever decide to turbo it you'll buy it

Oh well sorry for the long story, but I still get a laugh out of it.

Quick Reply: Mazda RX-8 vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII Comparison!