Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

RWD 2-door 300hp 4-cyl turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RWD 2-door 300hp 4-cyl turbo

Which of the following RWD 2-door coupes will be the first to market with a 300hp turbo 4-cyl engine?

Subaru BRZ
Toyota FT-86
Scion FR-S
Genesis Coupe
new smaller Camaro
new smaller Mustang
Challenger

Subaru - certainly has access to plenty of turbo engines. I think a 2.5L STI sourced motor would be a big hit with enthusiasts.

Toyota/Scion - not really sure how this car fits with all things Toyota/Scion; hard to say what they have in mind. Obviously they will source a Subaru engine, but I doubt Subaru would want an STI motor sold in a Toyota. I hope I’m wrong.

Genesis - Speculation already calls for the higher output 274hp engine from the Sonata 2.0T, so upping it to 300hp could be a distinct possibility.

Camaro - GM certainly has access to existing high output Ecotec 4-cyl turbo engines. New revised Camaro is supposed to be a good bit smaller and lighter. Imagine something halfway between the current Camaro and the previous Solstice/Sky.

Mustang - Ford certainly has access to existing EcoBoost 4-cyl turbo engines. DITO on the new Mustang also being smaller and lighter. Can you say SVO?

Challenger – I’ve read reports about the need for both the Mustang and Camaro to be downsized in order for Ford and GM to meet CAFE requirements. I suspect that the Challenger will simply be replaced with a smaller model from Fiat; do they make anything RWD?

I will venture to say that the first of these RWD coupes – or any new model – to come to market offering a 4-cyl turbo with 300hp, and at a reasonable price, stands a good chance of being a true game-changer in the tuner market.

What do YOU think?

Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I honestly thought it would be an interesting discussion...

Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so you want a 240sx...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would the Mustang need a 300hp inline 4 turbo when it already has a V6 making that much power and getting as much MPG as a D series Civic?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

who cares about the power, or the sound, i want an electric speed demon that i can rip around a racetrack faster than my evo, and have to stop every two hours for a 1 hour charge.. Technology baby, gotta upgrade and advance
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
who cares about the power, or the sound, i want an electric speed demon that i can rip around a racetrack faster than my evo, and have to stop every two hours for a 1 hour charge.. Technology baby, gotta upgrade and advance
I'd rather have a solar powered car. Have fun charging up while I enjoy some sun.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Anonymouse
I'd rather have a solar powered car. Have fun charging up while I enjoy some sun.
Hell ya! its coming soon
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jim,

It was done more than 15 years ago by Lotus. Everyone else is 16 years late to the party. Lotus sprit turbo S4 ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Esprit

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 17, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Jim,

Just or the record, the Sky/solstice are in that range 280HP ish. Some tuners are squeezing 130hp on tune and E-85 out of that Ecotec.

Porsche/VW will release a mini Boxster with similar hp of what you are mentioning.

Carlos

Carlos
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:36 AM

I think GM and Ford will both have 4 cyl turbo's shortly in the camaro and mustang. Ford may be further along with their's....the Camaro won't get it till 2014 at the earliest.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:16 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Genesis - Speculation already calls for the higher output 274hp engine from the Sonata 2.0T, so upping it to 300hp could be a distinct possibility.

[...]

What do YOU think?
I vote for the Koreans. The parts are there. Spy photos of the new coupe have already surfaced with a reputed ~330hp V6. The 274hp turbo is the logical 4cyl alternative for the range, with perhaps the NA 4cyl occupying the entry slot. Too, consider that 274hp today is ~300hp in '06, as the rating changed since then dropping the numbers by ~10%.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 19, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it won't be 300hp and it won't exactly be inexpensive, but BMW will be changing the base engine in both 1 and 3 series to a 4 cyl turbo. That will certainly make those models more attractive to the tuner scene.

Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Jim,

Just or the record, the Sky/solstice are in that range 280HP ish. Some tuners are squeezing 130hp on tune and E-85 out of that Ecotec.

Carlos
Indeed. This engine would have been a great candidate for flex-fuel with some actual E85 tuning include. I'd still like to see a main stream car taking advantage of E85 and not just simply burning it.

At one time GM was considering a small RWD sedan based off of the same Sky/Sol platform. I think that could have been very popular.

Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I vote for the Koreans. The parts are there. Spy photos of the new coupe have already surfaced with a reputed ~330hp V6. The 274hp turbo is the logical 4cyl alternative for the range, with perhaps the NA 4cyl occupying the entry slot. Too, consider that 274hp today is ~300hp in '06, as the rating changed since then dropping the numbers by ~10%.
The Korean have never achieved anything in the car industry, they are only good for copying Japanese, Americans and European designs.
Korean car industry takes credit for other car makers, look at the Kias sports which are a clone of best seller Honda cars, there is another car which resembles the new VW Jetta.

To me they are a total underachievers. They just "picked" the pace with modern car makers by makings this 274 hp 2 liter turbo with food gas mileage or other "decent" designs like the Huyndai genesis.

Make no mistake, Korean cars were absolutely embarrasing to see on the roads. No one remembers the Hyundai excels hatchbacks? how about the Kia Sephias from the 90's, or the ugly Elantras using Mitsubishi engines
My post should not be taken personal as far is the Korean society or people, I am talking strictly about car industry. I could talk about bad a$$ cars made in Europe in the 60, 70, 80, 90s, Porsche 911 Turbos, Audi Quattros, erraris, VW gtis, Lotus sprits,Ford Sierra Cosworths,Fiat coupe turbo..etc. Korea mas making Hyundai Excels, I am sorry but no.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 21, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
why wasnt 335is mentioned

Quick Reply: RWD 2-door 300hp 4-cyl turbo