Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: Your pick:
Turbo
58.33%
GT3
41.67%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche 911 Turbo or GT3?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by WINSTON
I remember watching a Best Motoring DVD once where there was a EVO and GT3 battle. The GT3 was an older model and the EVO where all VII's. They ran three battles. The first was both cars where stock, it was a close match but the GT3 was a bit quicker. The second was with a stock GT3 and a slightly modified EVO (better suspension and more power), the EVO just destroyed the Porsche with about $5,000 in mods. The last was with a GT3 cup race car and the Puma EVO Group N car (very limited in power mods). Again the EVO was more than a match for the Porsche.

Condsidering that the GT3 cost about $99,900 msrp, you could easily make a EVO simply destroy a stock GT3, isn't that the reason why we all bought and love the EVO anyways? I would still have one in my garage if money was not an issue!

Winston

Great stuff!
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by revhappy
With a few common power mods (to get us into the mid 12s) I think we may be very competitive with the GT3 on a road course!
That would depend on the course. An Evo with some relatively basic engine and suspension mods would probably do very well against any RWD 911 variant on low or moderate speed tracks like Lime Rock and Mont Tremblant. A well set-up Evo would have an advantage putting power down out of the corners and up the hills.

However, the 911 is more aerodynamic and would pull ahead at high speeds. I don't think any Evo, no matter how highly modified, could keep up with a GT3 around high-speed tracks like Watkins Glen or Mosport.

Anyone know the laptimes for the Evo 8 on the Nordschlieffe? I know Mitsu tested the Evo 8 at the 'Ring, but I've never seen official lap times.

Emre
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A GT3 can run all day long where a modded Evo might be stumbled with drivablility issue in the long run.

BTW, what is the turbo pressure for Evo from the factory?
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:01 PM

19 PSI, then at I think 6400 rpms backs down to 16.5 PSI to fuel cut which is 7400 rpms.

Winston
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Well ive got my *** kicked by both. I'd have to go with the 911
GT2. In black, then I would add on the Techart stage 2 turbo Kit. Hey wait Im not rich Guess I'll just have to stick with my evo

Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:29 PM

Depends on what you want. The Turbo is the better daily driver. Faster than just about everyone else on the road, relaxed handling, decent stereo, very noisy tires, traction control. Contrast this with the GT3. Better seats, no traction control (PSM) and nervous handling over 5/10's.

I went the turbo route first and based on the positive experience (no quality issues, no gripes or complaints, the best all around car I have ever owned)I am adding a GT3 this spring for track duties only.

I did not and will not consider the GT2. As has been stated previously in this thread, the cost premium does not justify the performance increase.

The my car could be faster than your car for less money argument is a fun one, and I am the first to say that the EVO has a whole lot of potential, but let's watch out or the mustang guys will drop 5 grand and beat us all in their worked over 84 5.0's and have the last laugh.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 04:16 PM

Unfortunately, this Evo is stictly for daily driving duty. Although dropping $5k could make a major jaw dropping to any unfortunate soul, I vow to keep myself chasited and keeping this car stock. I have couple other modified cars. From my lesson learned, I must now have at least one completely stock car for the civic duty .

Do you have an Evo at all or are you a Porsche headbanger?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 05:21 PM

Do you have an Evo at all or are you a Porsche headbanger?
I plan on buying a used one to play with in the near future. Let some other guy take the first hit.

Aside from the way out 5th gear, they are fantastic toys. They remind me of the ITR I owned and tracked a couple years back -- on steriods.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 05:43 PM
e8
Evolving Member

Here's a dyno comparison between a GT3 and a Turbo.

BEEFY(turbo) comes to mind when i see that dyno comparison.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:24 PM

Damn, that's what a torque curve should look like The only thing that I wonder about is why did they let off well before redline in the GT3 and a few hundred rpms before redline in the Turbo? It'd be nice to see how the torque and power curves drop off after power peak...
Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

me and my dad test drove both and we he bought the turbo
a much better choice
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by PoorCollegeKid
Damn, that's what a torque curve should look like The only thing that I wonder about is why did they let off well before redline in the GT3 and a few hundred rpms before redline in the Turbo? It'd be nice to see how the torque and power curves drop off after power peak...
Probably because they had already hit peak hp in the 996TT while peak hp in the
GT3 came on much later.

BTW, the car with more power is the 996TT. You have them mixed up. The 996TT dyno was cut short. IIRC, the GT3 is NA, and hence the flat torque curve and high-rpm power peak.

Last edited by Max Rebo; Mar 19, 2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:52 PM

Oh, I know that red/purple is the 996TT and the blue/green is the GT3. The TT red lines at 6500 (IIRC) and the GT3 redlines at 8200 rpm and the drivers of these cars on the dyno lets off at ~6300 and ~7500, respectively. My question was why did they let off before they hit redline in these cars? I would like to see how the power drops off after power peak rather than only seeing the peak hp numbers in the cars.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by PoorCollegeKid
Oh, I know that red/purple is the 996TT and the blue/green is the GT3. The TT red lines at 6500 (IIRC) and the GT3 redlines at 8200 rpm and the drivers of these cars on the dyno lets off at ~6300 and ~7500, respectively. My question was why did they let off before they hit redline in these cars? I would like to see how the power drops off after power peak rather than only seeing the peak hp numbers in the cars.
Understood. It appeard as though you mixed them up in your last post. No problem.

I'd guess that the dyno operator was inexperienced and just decided to cut the run short. Most people would take it to redline, like you said.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo and AWD enough said...