Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2004 La Auto Show review and comments (long)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2004, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 La Auto Show review and comments (long)

For those of you who aren't aware of the 2004 La Auto show (in Los Angeles, California) It is basically the showing of all the new production cars for 2004, along with some concept cars. Here in glorious (or not so glorious ) detail is an account for those unable or unwilling to attend.

Note: if the car isn't listed here it probably wasn't worth mentioning.

Disclamer: All these reviews are based on a 5' 11 1/2" 170lb person (me ), so headroom/legroom issues are based on that. please keep it in mind while reading.

Acura:
TSX - A really nicely built car, however a bit snug on the leg/headroom department (w/sunroof). Comfortable seats, but a bit too lux for my tastes.

TL - Nice, but a bit overpriced in my book (over 30k+). Not as much performance as I would like for the cost though. Maybe when I get old and want a "soft" car.

Audi:
S4 - They ditched the twin turbo v6 in favor of a 340hp v8. It's nice, and really comfortable... however could use headroom (with sunroof that is), the blue alcantra seats need to go, and the base price is now 46k (starting ) instead of being just under 40k. In simple terms, it's a more luxurious version of the evo. Not a bad car.. except for the price... <insert heart attack here>

BMW:

Z4 - Comfortable, bmw outdid themselves on this one. But again, cost is a bit much (33k for the 2.6L, and 40k for 3.0L), and i'm not really big on convertables.... sorry

Chevrolet/GMC:

Trailblazer/Envoy - If your into someting a bit larger, but not suburban large, this is the vehicle for you. Price is resonable, and comfort is good. A bit of warning though, if your are over 6' (like my friend was) and you have it with a sunroof, you might be hitting the sunroof. Not my thing, but still a nice vehicle.

Corvette - Interiour wise it's the same corvette they've had for the past 5 years. Exteriour though, it has the front end of a nsx and the rear end of the new ferrarii's. Also a new version of the ls1 engine dubbed the ls2. Now as much as I don't like most american cars, the new corvettes (and last gen corvettes as well) are some of the nicest vehicles out there. The most comfortable seats i've ever been in, including luxary cars too. (i've heard the Bentley has some of the best, but they weren't letting people even breathe on the ones they had at the show.... )
If i didnt' need the extra 3 seats, the corvette would have been a consideration before I bought my evo.

SSR - Two words: overhyped, Expensive. I dont' like it. Somebody might, but for me.. i have to pass.

Chrysler:

Crossfire - Interiour is cheap plastic that has been painted over with chrome paint. Big on the outside, not so much room on the insde, infact it's a bit cramped in there (hearoom wise). Definatly not worth the price. A true dissappointment.

Dodge
Viper - 500hp. Pretty. Nuff said

Ram SRT-10 - bascially the above viper in a truck form (and more affordable) but for 45k. The only truck I would ever consider buying. (for the record, I hate trucks)

Magnum - If you are in the market for a station wagon. Forget the S4 avant. Forget the Subaru wrx wagon. Heck forget that SUV. This is what you want. Lots of room. Styling is not too offensive, but it is a pretty big vehicle though.

Ford
F150 - Smaller then it looks. Extremely plasticky and cheap. Get at Dodge or Chevy/GMC truck instead.

Mustang (concept) - Honestly now, it's a really really nice vehicle. I like it. But i would have to drive it once around the block before I would consider it.

GT40 - Best way i can describe it is a poor mans Saleen S7. (if you consider 130k to be poor ) nice though in a retro way.

Honda

Civic Si - The best bargin out there. It acutally has a usable back seat, with FOOT SPACE. At least somebody got that one right.

Hummer

H3 (concept) - The new hummer truck. Hmmm.. what could i say... All the power and size of an H2, but seats only 2 , and has a door on the side of the so called trunk bed . We have a real winner here folks . <insert sarcasm here>

Jeep
Liberty - The real surprise of the show. 24k fully loaded, V6, seats 5 comfortably, 4WD, and Tons of headroom. Build quality is pretty good. It's just a bit longer then a jeep wrangler, but more pratical. Probably the only suv (if you can call it that.. it's really not that big) I would remotely consider, if i lived in the mountans or an area which required a decent amount of off roading. (well something with more clearance then my evo can provide )

Lexus:
IS430 (concept) - basically an IS300 with a v8 slapped in there. That's all there is to it. But they said they probably will not produce it, even though it's probably the most realistic of the concept cars.

Lotus

Elise - No backseat. No sound deadening. Stereo and Air condition are options. Paltry 180hp engine. So why is this one awsome car. 1950lbs total weight, 1G on the skidpad stock. A true track/weekend car. As minimalist as you can get

Mini:
Cooper/CooperS - The most crowded booth at the show. It truly is a nice car, tons of headroom. Bigger on the inside then it looks. (opposite of the Crossfire). The back seat has alot of room... If you have NO LEGS . the only way you can get room for rear passengers is if you are a really short driver.. and i mean.. 5' 2" or shorter... They finally get the hint and make a usable backseat and then they screw it up by not giving any legroom. Oh and on the manual transmission, the giant cue-ball-sized shifter knob has to go. Othen then those issues, build quilaty is really good, it was probalby had the most durable interiour out of most of the cars there.. espcially all the so called luxary cars (with the expection of the ferrari, lamborgihni, porshe.. etc... the really REALLLY expensive ones)

Mazda

3 - I had acutally high hopes for this car. Yeah, outside it's pretty. Inside, it's crap. dash is cheap. seats are just Okay. headroom isn't all that.. a true dissappointment

rx8 - Another major dissappointment. again the back has plenty of room, if you lost your legs in a horrible accident (or were born without them). The front seat however my head was rubbing up against the sunroof. That was with the seat all the way down. Cheap (i mean really cheap) interiour).

[Ed. note: I am soo glad i didn't get the rx8 now ]

Nissan
Titan - The new big nissan truck... not really that big. Too much plasctic. Cheap looking. My wife can break the doorhandles.

350z - Resonable comfortable. A bit cheap looking on the inside but still nicely done. My wife can break the doorhandles easily.

Anyting Nissan -what is up with your cheap door handles?!?!

Pontiac

GTO - HUUUUUUUGE doors ... other then that, nothing to see here.. move along..

Porsche
GT - Much nicer (and bigger) in person. Truly an amazing car.

Chyanne - Too lux for my taste, overpriced. Would rather get a 911.

Scion
tC - WOW, this is one nice car. Looks like an acura/honda, but it's really a toyota under the hood. And being under the Scion brand, expect a resonably low price (not as low as the xA and xB ).. not out yet though... )

volkswagon

Toureg - A touch less flashy and bit ( ) more affordable then the Porsche Chyanne.

Pheaton - Big, w12. Pretty. Pretty Expensive. That about sums it up.

And what have I learned: I'm not sad I got the Evo, in fact i have no buyers remorese now regarding it . I still wish I could afford a Viper, Porsche GT, Porsche 996TT, corvette, or Lotus Elise, but those would be weekend cars. For daily driving, the Evo fits the bill nicely.

Remember it's not about the fastest, the prettiest or even the most comfortable. It's about what you can afford, and what your car means to you.

Last edited by LordHighBinary; Jan 8, 2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:10 PM

good writeup
Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:17 PM

i am suprised that mitsu didnt showcase the ralliart or any other concepts
Old Jan 8, 2004, 01:01 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I had to double check that you weren't evaluating the 2003 show...

Also surprised to see that the driver of a $28k Evo has issues with the $33k TL which has oodles more features and amenities.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 01:43 PM

Question

Well basicalyl most of what was last years "concept" was now on the showroom floor where you can acutally sit/play/pretend your driving it .

WestSideBilly - Umm I didn't have any issues with the TL are you referring to the TSX? oops.. I see the error.. arrrgghh <kicks self in head>. changes will be made.... Basically the TSX just was too lux for what i wanted, and a bit lacking in the headroom department. (and footroom). I am more of a minimalist.

I was also referring to the 2004 TL, Base price is 32k, fully loaded is a hair under 35k.

I don't care for navigation systems and fancy climate controls. To me i get more on the Evo, performance wise then on the TSX. I would have to spend more money on the tsx to get it to the same level of performance/handling as the Evo.

Last edited by LordHighBinary; Jan 8, 2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 05:04 AM
El Jefe

It's hard to find the Evo's performance without spending $50k (or buying an STI). Most cars are more for pampering their owners.

I reread my post and didn't explain myself well - I was surprised to see you refer to the TL (at $33k give or take) as being overpriced. It's probably one of the best values on the road (in terms of features) and only a few thousand more than the Evo. Just thought it was odd...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 09:05 AM

Well, I guess it's a matter of perspective. The TL is a good deal if you want a sporty luxary car.
I am coming from the perspective of more performance then luxary.
To me it seems like a lot of money for the performance you do get (I guess that was what I was trying to say). Luxary wise it's really really nice. And much cheaper then a 5 series BMW or Lexus, for what you get included. When my knees go out, and my joints start ageing I might look into getting one. (I surprisingly have a soft spot for the TL's)

I guess i needed to clarify my resoning behind that.
Luxary wise it's a good deal. Performance wise, it's more money then i'm willing to spend on it.

Hope that clarifies it.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:43 AM
El Jefe

Yeah, it does. I just noticed you're working on a 356 - very nice.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 02:32 PM

Talking

Thanks, I'm hoping to have it restored within the next 3-5 years.

After that time, I kinda want to make it my daily driver, and then proceed to make the evo a barely street legal weekend car