Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Major Starting Issue: 02 Saturn Vue: Please Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Major Starting Issue: 02 Saturn Vue: Please Help

So... where to start.. My girlfriends 02 Saturn Vue awd 6cyl (to be specific).

Started having issues starting up on occasion, i traced this to be lack of fuel due to the fuel pump not turning on...(no Hum on occasion and kicking the tank seemed to jog it into working)
So... i replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter.

All said and done... It still had the same issues, so my next thought was a bad connection somewhere.

Today however she was driving and her car died at a stoplight.
She put it into park and tried to restart the car.... Nothing
wouldnt even try to turn over(before you go Dead Battery).. someone was kind enough to help her get the car off to the side of the road and upon trying to start it again it started right up.

I personally am not sure what to start with.. There have been no tell tale signs of the starter going bad(though i might go test it anyway)
and she has NO engine codes.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

its a 9 year old saturn... theres your culprit

but seriously, that sucks =/ i dont know much about that so i cant be much help lol good luck!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

i would say crank or cam sensor but either of those should throw a code. Fuel pump relay maybe?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
May want to try posting it in the "Other Car" section.. try the pump relay, like the evo x, that might be the prob.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:01 PM

May want to try posting it in the "Other Car" section
sorry must have overlooked it.

And to all the above suggestions: the fuel relay might help with the pump not always turning on but still wouldnt explain why her car would just die and not even turn over till a few min later.

Had a thought that maybe it had just overheated and had a safety kill, checked it, fluid was good and i tried both a neutral high rpm hold and romping around to get the temps to spike high.... No Dice... didnt go past half.... back to square one
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

when it has trouble starting does it just keep turning over and not fire or does it not turn over at all? one of the cam sensors just went in my maxima and it would crank and crank but not start. once it did finally start it would randomly die afterward. is it possible that the bulb is out for the CEL and there actually is a code? try turning the key one click and see if the light comes on to check.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:14 PM

when it has trouble starting does it just keep turning over and not fire or does it not turn over at all? one of the cam sensors just went in my maxima and it would crank and crank but not start. once it did finally start it would randomly die afterward. is it possible that the bulb is out for the CEL and there actually is a code? try turning the key one click and see if the light comes on to check.
Today when it died on her at a light, IT did not even crank over.... just nothing, all dash lights lit up.
And her engine lights do work, it all comes on and a scanner doesnt pick up anything.