Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Best performance car for under $45k?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing that sucks about waiting for the 2013 Boss... is waiting for the 2013 Boss. I'm trying to convince myself that the better paint schemes and the track apps/sync will be worth the wait. Plus, if I wait until the 2013's are available, I can customize one. The dealership I went to yesterday said they've gotten all the 2012's they're going to get.

I want a car for a daily driver, that I can take to the track for HPDE events with relatively little modification. I definitely appreciate light and nimble cars, but the Lotus's seem a little impractical for me. I don't necessarily need a back seat, but I have a 20 mile highway commute to work everyday, and a lotus might get a little tiring.

You're right about the driving part though. I definitely need to drive these before I make a decision.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Have you ever owned a RWD sports or muscle car? Maybe take an overnight test drive on an used mustang or something and see if its really for you.
How many track days a year do you attend?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have 45k to spend and you are having problems deciding on what to buy???

Hmm, lets see, if I had 45k

10k on used evo
10k to make it a badass evo
1k on a dsm shell
10k to make a badass dsm

Put the rest on a Toyota tacoma.

Im a simple man, no need for beemers, porsche etc. haha
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That bos has the BEST engine note and even though the rear axel is live it is extremely forgving and gives obviously superior drag racing tactaion.

The Z06, a use done, is SO fast and has extreme topend and areodynamics. Forgiving? Maybe but not in the same zone as a Evo, that *** end will come around. Mustang is cool though and will have a million go fast bits and cheaper to mod. Your call. I'd say used Z06, save THOUSANDS, make sure it is black.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
You have 45k to spend and you are having problems deciding on what to buy???

Hmm, lets see, if I had 45k

10k on used evo
10k to make it a badass evo
1k on a dsm shell
10k to make a badass dsm

Put the rest on a Toyota tacoma.

Im a simple man, no need for beemers, porsche etc. haha
HAHA agreed!!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

z06 hands down
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Ford's quality control has improved greatly since '09 imo, but still not that great. The mustang will not be unique. You may think it will be, until you are driving to work and see a couple on the same day. That's how I felt when I bought my '10 GT500...thought it was unique, then my neighbor bought one, and then in felt like they started popping up everywhere. Anyway, get the porsche imo. I thought the vette was getting ready to change body styles...going to the stingray type of rear window? I wouldn't buy anything that's getting ready to make a major change.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by getsideways
^ Have you ever owned a RWD sports or muscle car? Maybe take an overnight test drive on an used mustang or something and see if its really for you.
How many track days a year do you attend?
I've owned a 1G AWD DSM, S2000, 400whp+ civic eg hatch, E46 M3, and most recently, my Evo X. My girlfriend has an E92 M3 which I drive quite often and quite hard. I've also gotten to drive a C5 Z06 (which I found to be very predictable at its limits.) Every one of these cars has been awesome in its own way.

I've never been to a track, other than a drag strip, but I'm fairly confident in my abilities to drive high HP RWD cars to within 8/10's of their limits. Obviously I'd be able to learn a huge amount with some track time, but for now I know how to drive a fast car hard enough to enjoy it.

I want something that is fast, reasonably nice, and preferably has a warranty, so no super-modded cars for me. I learned my lesson with the civic.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
I want something that is fast, reasonably nice, and preferably has a warranty, so no super-modded cars for me. I learned my lesson with the civic.
Ultimately, it comes down to what it is that you want. I'm not talking about a numerical checklist, but about the experience. Sure, a C6 Z06 has great numbers all around. If one's goal is to compare lap times and discuss HP figures in an academic setting, it's the car to get. I'm not saying this to diminish the car's prowess in any way, shape, or form. OTOH, if you value the driving experience, the sensation the driver feels behind the wheel, the control quotient relating to the same, and every other non-numerical attribute, things become a lot more complicated. You have to be honest with yourself and decide why you're attracted to cars to begin with, and the right choice will fall into place. If it's for the bragging rights, the answer is easy.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

I was close to buying a 2012 Boss, but then I read where the transmission was made and then some problems the Mustangs were having. I don't know if Boss owners were having similar issues. But I wanted an American muscle car not a car with a Chinese transmission.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
Ultimately, it comes down to what it is that you want. I'm not talking about a numerical checklist, but about the experience. Sure, a C6 Z06 has great numbers all around. If one's goal is to compare lap times and discuss HP figures in an academic setting, it's the car to get. I'm not saying this to diminish the car's prowess in any way, shape, or form. OTOH, if you value the driving experience, the sensation the driver feels behind the wheel, the control quotient relating to the same, and every other non-numerical attribute, things become a lot more complicated. You have to be honest with yourself and decide why you're attracted to cars to begin with, and the right choice will fall into place. If it's for the bragging rights, the answer is easy.
You hit the nail on the head. I guess I shouldn't say I want a "fast" car as much as I want a "fun" car. HP is definitely part of the equation, but there are other intangibles like "feel" that aren't easy to quantify with numbers. If I only cared about numbers, the Cayman definitely wouldn't be on the list.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:52 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
You hit the nail on the head. I guess I shouldn't say I want a "fast" car as much as I want a "fun" car. HP is definitely part of the equation, but there are other intangibles like "feel" that aren't easy to quantify with numbers. If I only cared about numbers, the Cayman definitely wouldn't be on the list.
Fair enough.

I'm also thinking about the next car, not that I'm selling my IX. I've been driving for 30 years, have competed a little, attended driving schools, I constantly work on my technique and I still suck compared to someone who is actually good. Yes, I'm much better than the man on the street, but if I said that I could take a corner in my Evo at WOT, I'd be lying. Better, if I tried doing the things I do with my Evo in another car, I'd be dead. We all have our limitations. My main priority is fun. I want to be connected to the machine, so the numbers really aren't very important and I'm not a good enough pilot where fractions matter. Like you, I've been looking at the available options, aware of my personal limits. The more I look at what's out, the more I lean toward something older. The newer the car, the more isolated the driving experience. I don't want that, regardless of performance. On your list, the Cayman would be the only car I'd personally choose. It's the most organic option, if you will. For myself, I'll likely buy a used Miata.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:55 AM

My vote would be for the Caymen. The vette is fast and has the long term resale value to back it up. Unlike for Ford though some of Chevy's quality has not made as well of a come back yet. Have read many articles on how great the vette is motor and driving wise, but also how on brand new ones on test drives interior parts rattling and some even falling off!! As far as the mustang goes ( guess I'm prejudice) wouldn't have one if someone gave me one. Can't stand them or more than half the people who drive them. Now for the Porsche. Porsche themselves have not and will probably not make ever make a Caymen GT. This is because it would kill their flag ship model the 911. The mid engine set-up and power to weight ratio is more than great.The car handles fantastic and makes great power. Sure the cost to upgrade may cost a little more, but you'll probably get more bang for the buck. To me this is the best of both worlds your looking for.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

I made my choice for now for the ultra vintage classic with the 911SC.

I'd be lying if I didn't say it's such a thrilling experience everytime I drive it.
The sound, the lightness, the absence of assistance, the raw connected feel and the sound the sound haha.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/...che-2009-08-11

It's far from a daily though...

How do you like the E92 M3? Alway's wanted to try one and make that v8 scream.

Last edited by PoloTurbo; Dec 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:51 PM

The M3 is a great car. It's definitely surreal to hear a V8 rev out past 8,000 rpms. It's a heavy car, but it's very sure-footed. You can tell it's got some fat in its ***, but it does what you want it to do in a predictable manner. The engine doesn't make a ton of torque, but the torque it does make is available everywhere. Even though he hp peak is high up in the rev range, it's got plenty of power available in the lower rpms for driving around town. The brakes are a little touchy though, so it's difficult to heel-toe smoothly without accidentally jabbing the brakes too hard. Other than the touchiness, the brakes are excellent. The car is a lot of fun with the traction control off. I never really felt like it was dangerous.

Quick Reply: Best performance car for under $45k?