Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Best performance car for under $45k?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I considered this for a long time. M3s, 335i, exige, mustang etc

Really it just keeps coming back to a z06. I'm not a muscle car guy, nor a RWD guy, however it's pretty much indisputable that for a pick up and go package at a certain price point, the z06 is absolutely unmatched.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ I wouldnt say 'unmatched' the GTR will hang with it and is priced respectively if your speaking about C6 and newer vettes.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 03:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by getsideways
^ I wouldnt say 'unmatched' the GTR will hang with it and is priced respectively if your speaking about C6 and newer vettes.
He's talking about <45k. You can get '05-08 Z06 for around $40k. You can't touch a GTR for $45k.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

The LS7 engine seems to fail quite easily also. Something to think about.

LOTS of people on second third, even saw a fouth motor, 2 times rebuilt with forged internals and still failing, the car having less than 70K miles.

Is the 2009+ dry sump setup a lot better?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis
I was close to buying a 2012 Boss, but then I read where the transmission was made and then some problems the Mustangs were having. I don't know if Boss owners were having similar issues. But I wanted an American muscle car not a car with a Chinese transmission.
1-2 shift has been an issue on some mustangs recently... the rear end is covered in rust brand new... next time you're at a ford dealership look at the rear axle, you will see what I'm talking about
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
He's talking about <45k. You can get '05-08 Z06 for around $40k. You can't touch a GTR for $45k.
That's getting less and less true every day:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=304457534
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by highlyevolved

Yeah but that one is $60 vs. my $45k budget. There are a few $60k GTR's out there, but $60k is still 33% more than I want to spend. That's not taking into account the maintenance. I have a buddy with a GTR and he broke down the maintenance he's had to do so far on his, and it's not an amount I'm comfortable with at this time.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
Yeah but that one is $60 vs. my $45k budget. There are a few $60k GTR's out there, but $60k is still 33% more than I want to spend. That's not taking into account the maintenance. I have a buddy with a GTR and he broke down the maintenance he's had to do so far on his, and it's not an amount I'm comfortable with at this time.
Absolutely, I would never DD a GTR. Between fluids, brakes, rotors, and tires - wow, forget about it.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

I disagree i found several GTRs this summer in the $40-50k range besides my statement was aimed at another poster that said the ZO6 is untouchable the OP didnt bring up interest in one so i wouldnt suggest it for him, Maintainence is a given even with the Vette, I assume that since you are spending that kinda money.

If your worried about cost of ownership wait for the STI BRZ to come out next year it can be had in the LOW 30s and will be the cheapest to maintain by far.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Is Vette really that bad for costs? The only thing I could think of that would be expensive is the tires, everything else should be pretty common Chevy parts although I haven't really looked into it.

I agree BRZ will be by far the cheapest to maintain. Just with the light weight alone you will be saving lots of money on tires.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:27 PM

A GTR for $40-50k likely wouldn't have a warranty anymore and that's definitely not something I'm interested in. STi BRZ sounds like it would be cool, but I'm not going to wait around for that to come to market.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Less true? $60k is nothing like $45k. At least you could have come within $5k of his top end price.

I disagree i found several GTRs this summer in the $40-50k range besides my statement was aimed at another poster that said the ZO6 is untouchable the OP didnt bring up interest in one so i wouldnt suggest it for him, Maintainence is a given even with the Vette, I assume that since you are spending that kinda money.

If your worried about cost of ownership wait for the STI BRZ to come out next year it can be had in the LOW 30s and will be the cheapest to maintain by far.
You didn't find a clean title GTR with under 100,000 miles for 40k. Until you provide proof, I'm waving a giant BS flag.

OP, you should just get a Ferrari 599. I saw a bunch under $45k last summer.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nsomniac

You didn't find a clean title GTR with under 100,000 miles for 40k. Until you provide proof, I'm waving a giant BS flag.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GTR-P...item519c5b7728

If your a dumb poop and pay sticker price then no you cant find them for that cheap.
The examples i found were through manheim auto auctions one of the used car managers i work for looked them up,
The three examples i found all had between 23-47k miles on them and all sold in the $40k range.

The example i posted about gives you an idea, how much do you think that dealer REALLY paid for that car i bet they own it in the MID to LOW $50k range.
Thats for a low mileage one.
Now tack on 30K miles, and the even worse economy we had in spring and you can see where you can find these cars in the 40s

EDIT another example this sold in the last 15 days on ebay where these cars get bid up higher then value sold at 60 with only 19k miles and a clean title hmmmmm....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item2eb9b4af7c

Last edited by getsideways; Dec 15, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Is Vette really that bad for costs? The only thing I could think of that would be expensive is the tires, everything else should be pretty common Chevy parts although I haven't really looked into it.

I agree BRZ will be by far the cheapest to maintain. Just with the light weight alone you will be saving lots of money on tires.
The STI version that they leaked pics of might be the hot ticket for you anyway, Would be cool to own a car that most people are clueless as to what it is for that kinda money.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:19 AM
EvoM Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GTR-P...item519c5b7728

If your a dumb poop and pay sticker price then no you cant find them for that cheap.
The examples i found were through manheim auto auctions one of the used car managers i work for looked them up,
The three examples i found all had between 23-47k miles on them and all sold in the $40k range.

The example i posted about gives you an idea, how much do you think that dealer REALLY paid for that car i bet they own it in the MID to LOW $50k range.
Thats for a low mileage one.
Now tack on 30K miles, and the even worse economy we had in spring and you can see where you can find these cars in the 40s

EDIT another example this sold in the last 15 days on ebay where these cars get bid up higher then value sold at 60 with only 19k miles and a clean title hmmmmm....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item2eb9b4af7c
So your proof that you could have had a GTR for $40k is posting a completed ebay auction for $60k, and another where the price is set at $65k with two failed offers? If it was as easy as going to an auction and dumping $45k into a car to put it on ebay and pull $60k, we'd all be car dealers. Although markup can differ between dealers, rarely is there a $20k markup. In fact, there's not often $10k in markup, and don't forget that they usually pay transport, prep, and sales staff to sell them.

Fact: The GTR is not in the OP's price range, and is therefore irrelevant. Based on OP comments, I would recommend the Z06 hands down. If I could fit in them, I would already own one.

Last edited by Nsomniac; Dec 16, 2011 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Best performance car for under $45k?