Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Best performance car for under $45k?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
The LS7 engine seems to fail quite easily also. Something to think about.

LOTS of people on second third, even saw a fouth motor, 2 times rebuilt with forged internals and still failing, the car having less than 70K miles.

Is the 2009+ dry sump setup a lot better?
Dry sump=No oil starvation while turing, that will blow an engine before you finish a turn.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used viper.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nsomniac
So your proof that you could have had a GTR for $40k is posting a completed ebay auction for $60k, and another where the price is set at $65k with two failed offers? If it was as easy as going to an auction and dumping $45k into a car to put it on ebay and pull $60k, we'd all be car dealers. Although markup can differ between dealers, rarely is there a $20k markup. In fact, there's not often $10k in markup, and don't forget that they usually pay transport, prep, and sales staff to sell them.

Fact: The GTR is not in the OP's price range, and is therefore irrelevant. Based on OP comments, I would recommend the Z06 hands down. If I could fit in them, I would already own one.
Fact: I never suggested it to the OP, Fact: Never said you could go on ebay and purchase one today, Fact: the only examples in the past 15 days are MUCH lower mileage then the ones i found, And appears to follow 10K miles costs $5k retail so unless your daft those examples make perfect sense...

Ive worked for 20+ of the same auto dealers for the past 14 years I know exactly how much they mark up cars because i see their books, the average sedan sees a 8-17% markup dependant on year and miles, The average sports car or rare car can often be double that because of the higher risk involved in selling one.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:23 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DawnoffateX
at a certain price point, the z06 is absolutely unmatched.
Originally Posted by getsideways
^ I wouldnt say 'unmatched' the GTR will hang with it and is priced respectively if your speaking about C6 and newer vettes.
He's talking about <45k. You can get '05-08 Z06 for around $40k. You can't touch a GTR for $45k.
I disagree i found several GTRs this summer in the $40-50k range besides my statement was aimed at another poster that said the ZO6 is untouchable the OP didnt bring up interest in one so i wouldnt suggest it for him, Maintainence is a given even with the Vette, I assume that since you are spending that kinda money.

If your worried about cost of ownership wait for the STI BRZ to come out next year it can be had in the LOW 30s and will be the cheapest to maintain by far.
Fact: I never suggested it to the OP, Fact: Never said you could go on ebay and purchase one today, Fact: the only examples in the past 15 days are MUCH lower mileage then the ones i found, And appears to follow 10K miles costs $5k retail so unless your daft those examples make perfect sense...

Ive worked for 20+ of the same auto dealers for the past 14 years I know exactly how much they mark up cars because i see their books, the average sedan sees a 8-17% markup dependant on year and miles, The average sports car or rare car can often be double that because of the higher risk involved in selling one.
You need to either stop contradicting yourself, or stop posting in this thread. Either you are saying he can get it at the price point specified, which he can't, or you are saying you are derailing the conversation into a discussion about Z06's vs. GTR's, which no one here is interested in talking about.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Nsomniac - why does it bother you so much about used GTRs being cheap? Seems like every time someone posts something about it you jump on them.

You have to remember they retailed for 75k brand new in 2008/2009. I've seen several listed around the past few months for under 50 with higher mileage - in the 60-80k range anyway. If you keep your eyes open you can definitely land a clean title GTR for under 50k easily. Higher mileage GTRs are generally rare so just because none are available now doesn't really mean anything.

That's besides the point though, because the running costs on those are insane and I'd never use one as a daily driver, so it's not really relevant to the original post.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

You need to either stop contradicting yourself, or stop posting in this thread. Either you are saying he can get it at the price point specified, which he can't, or you are saying you are derailing the conversation into a discussion about Z06's vs. GTR's, which no one here is interested in talking about.
I simply stated the Z06 has a competitor at a similar price that performs equally, Your the one who came in here waving your 'BS' flag.

If you know how to read you can clearly see i never contradicted myself or suggested to the OP to buy a GTR, i steered him in a different direction.

Your now making yourself look foolish.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Nobody commented on the Z06 engine reliability. Anyones as one that can comment?

The GTR needs at least 5-10K savings for the tranny too be sent to Shep. It's part of the game with this car. If you don't know what I,m talking about go on Nagtroc.

The GTR is too similar driving wise IMO.
Like already stated by someone else it's all about the experience of driving and not about the best lap time.

A 2007 C2 would be great also.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:51 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by highlyevolved
Nsomniac - why does it bother you so much about used GTRs being cheap? Seems like every time someone posts something about it you jump on them.

You have to remember they retailed for 75k brand new in 2008/2009. I've seen several listed around the past few months for under 50 with higher mileage - in the 60-80k range anyway. If you keep your eyes open you can definitely land a clean title GTR for under 50k easily. Higher mileage GTRs are generally rare so just because none are available now doesn't really mean anything.

That's besides the point though, because the running costs on those are insane and I'd never use one as a daily driver, so it's not really relevant to the original post.
I highlighted the problem I have with GTR posts in this thread. The OP is asking for advice for cars under $45k. The GTR does not belong in that price range, and the suggestion of it is derailing the thread. I'm trying to steer individuals back on topic rather than let this veer off into a GTR vs Z06 vs transmission problem vs launch warranty thread like they all do.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why don't you purchase like 15 early 90's Miata's and race all your buddies?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

lol you can NOT get a GTR for under $50k lmao..where do you guys pull this BS from?

now maybe under $60k for a high mileage 09 but even that is a hard one to find. mid $60s is where they are at.

z06 or 302 go drive both they are not the same feeling at all...you may love one and hate the other.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Just Buy the BRZ and be done with it thats my vote!

I just got warned by the moderator in here for flaming so i will stop bringing up anything about the GTR from here on.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Why not a used lower mileage NSX? You can get a nice clean NSX for that type of price range. Its the true drivers car:

1. low to the ground
2. mid engine rwd
3. good power stock and easily played with
4. its SEXY and Unique - not your run of the mill sports car
5. Amazing handling and Good Sounding

To the poster above - is it really that strange to think a dealership might be cheaper than private party? When you think of the amount of people that are flipped in their cars value, do you really think that a dealership cares or reflects on what you owe to what the car is worth and they can retail it for? Simple, NOPE

It doesn't shock me at all to think I could get a used car cheaper than SOME private party listings... These people that are selling the cars that owe more are TRYING to sell it privately so they can get some ( most ) of the payoff!!

I work in an RV dealership - I work deals every day and I can tell you that 50% of the time, we will be cheaper than private party sellers and that is because they are flipped on the loan... Whether or not the dealership will work with you is another thing and that just depends on them and you.

The other BEAST that is sexy and comfort is the Lexus IS-F!!!
You can find these all day for high $30's to $40's and if memory serves me correctly its around 415 horse with a quad stacked exhaust!!

anyways,

to rank your cars:
1. Caymen
2. Z06
3. Boss 302
4. BRZ Subaru

Good luck with picking - keep us updated
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

id ether wait for the new subaru BRZ STi or try to find a cheap gtr