Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:10 AM
e8
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coming from the honda community...

with 15k and an EG6, I think you'll give the stock Evo a run for it's money. the EG6 might even beat the evo.

15k will buy you
4000 b18C5
1000 cams (Toda Spec C's)
250 cam gears (Toda)
600 valve train (Toda)
1200 Clutch/Flywheel (Exedy)
2000 suspension (Zeal or Buddy Club)
3000 I/H/E (good stuff, like SMSP or Hytech)
1000 Cheap light rims
1200 Brake calipers/pads
600 roll cage
400 Hondata
700 Seat and Harness
total: 15950 (all prices are rough guesstimates)

I think that'll make around 220 whp. The EG6 is a very lightweight chassis and if you gutted it, it'd be like a feathern (close to 2000lbs). If the suspension is properly tuned as well as the engine, I think the EG6 could very well beat an evo around the road course.

My 2c

Last edited by e8; Jan 13, 2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

I own a 91 honda crx si with a fully built b18c1 turbocharged gsr motor=) I love my honda to death but it can't compare to a my mitsubishi evo. Sures it fast but so is the evo. To get it where what a evo does stock is expesive!!! Then you got to deal with day by day reliablity and smogg issues that we have here in Cali=( Being pulled over by cops. With all the money you spent on a honda and just a few bucks on a evo. The evo will take you any day. Its all about traction!!! Sure my crx will make over 450hp at the wheel but it will just go up in smoke off the line unless you running slicks. Look at Dave buschurs daily driven evo and few others running mid to high 11sec on street tires and stock turbos with less than 5 thousand dollars in mods. 0-60mph is like 2.8-4.5 seconds that is crazy fast. Sorry fwd vs. awd they are in to different classes!!! But I still love honda and will not sell my crx!!!
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

If all you want is fast for cheap, just get a 1G AWD DSM. You can get those dirt cheap, and with $2-3k into one, you'll be haulin. We're talking about maybe $5-6K total, with the car. Might not be the nicest car, but hey, it will haul ***, right???? But, if you want a nice, NEW car, get an Evo, WRX, or A4 even. Like people said before me, anything can be made to go fast, its just a question of what kind of car you want to have when not going fast.

Hilg
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Tell your friend to sell his Honda, buy an old Camaro/FB/TA or Mustang and spend $5000 on a super charger and suspension mods. This would be as quick as the EVO and save him a bunch of money. My guess is that he won't do it because it is not just about being quicker in the 1/4 mile. As with the EVO, there is more to it than that.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Your friend is just jealous. I to had a 89 civic with a GSR Turbo. It was quick...when you have the traction...most of the time it just spun the tires. Also why spend all that money when it is not going to be smog legal and the reliability is out the window. I don't know about you guys, but haven't you noticed that there has been alot of modified hondas out there for sale? I bet you that it is time to smog the car and with all the crap they put on the car they can't get it smog.(like me LOL). I love my Evo and when a Honda pulls up next to me, they always have that look..."I should have save my money and got an Evo instead"
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Evo...
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DocMortal
First AWD owns mostly everything from a stop,you can add 500 hp to anything but putting it down too the ground is a different story,FWD sucks especially on cars with alot of HP..

In the end a civic is a civic ,with enough money someone can make anything fast including a pinto... Just to go straight .. SRT-4 comes to mind,nice car but made to just go straight.

You have to start with an awesome platform like the evo and spend about 1000-2000 and you can beat mostly anything on the street.The evo is also all about handling and will demolish the civic in the twisties,its actually not a far comparison.

Evo is Car of the year in both Sport Compact Car and Automobile magazine..

Everyone has a civic,

Evo's are LEGENDS....

Get the ECU reflash or XEDE about 200-500,exhaust,downpipe.. cams,MBC and your in the 11's all for under $2000

The EVO uses twin scroll turbo there is hardly any lag,boost starts at 3000 rpm....What it does have is a Boost taper at 6000 rpm it falls to about 16psi... thats why you do a reflash or get a MBC to keep the boost at 19-20 psi throughout the rpm band...

all for under $2000

ENGINE IS BUILT LIKE A ROCK.forged pistons iron block famous 4G63

Others will make better points then me with better grammer
Is comparing Apples and Oranges , and for what you have listed under 2k . Maybe a bit more since cams are around 500 , Xede is another 899.+the Xflash 100 more . an a decent Turbo back 900 . Either way you wont spend as much as modifing a honda .
But on a short corse , you wont out handle a hatch with the right suspension and tune correctly . There are many different routes on Honda's. There are some that will do low 12's and 11's all day long with All motor set up (drag racing ) You put a well tune car on a short corse and it will not be that easy to beat(+ driver skills ) + now they also have the K20 swap which has been proven to make some great #'s . Just the swap itself with hondata and a few bolt ons is low 13's in street tires.
Now with honda's you are more limited to how fast you want to be on the street compare to an Evo . The Evo is all around car , not just drag racing but auto cross as well. There 2 different machines to compare too . You have to understand that Hondas come a long way to get the respect that they deserve . So some people get all defensive , but over all the Evo is the best base plataform that you can have to start a project , no need to do a swap or to fully built the internals to have a fast car . Just with a few things this car is amazing (more power then you can use on the street) . An even upgrading the turbo is insane power , taking to next level would be touching the head and the bottom end. Which i have seen some dyno's that show the 4g63 being able to rev to 9500rpms . I didnt even think that was possible , its great to know that the Evo has all this potential and little by little you can achieve by the amount of mods that you do to it . An better yet you can have a 12's car with no issues compare to other modify vehicles out there .....
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking as a current Honda Hybrid owner I can give an honest opinion (hey I got to test drive an EVO a month ago).

Theft will always be a problem with Civis and Integra's. That's just a fact and the more i own my car the more It pisses me off that if I park my car beside a Bimmer or a Benz my car is million times more likely to get stolen because of all the Honda hoopla.

2nd) I have ITR motor in my civic and to be honest there are very few cars I can't keep up with. I've held off a 350Z on the hwy and an EVO started to go for it when were in 3rd gear but when he realized we were still neck and neck he backed 9off didn't want to take the possible 'L' I guess lol). i can drive my car everyday normally. No CEL's no smog issues and it handles quite nicely (Tein's and every bar possible will do this)....problem is now that I want to sell it even though I'm bargain pricing no one that is interested has the money....such is the market of Civic and Integra owners I found out the hard way.

3rd) Unwanted attention from Police (moreso in a Civic then any other car because of what the cars and their owners are known for like street racing, driving unsafely etc.)

4th) Insurance is cheaper but even getting the max possible extra ins on my car I still will lose about 3 g's (not as bad as some).

5th) I have a child with a 2nd one on the way. Civic's aren't that comfortable if you are carting around more then you and you friend/girlfriend/wife (in my case).

I have spent a lot of money getting my car to the point that in a lot of ways resembles were I'd be with an EVO. For instance I got Volks (Albeit 16's....I had 17's on my old Type R), its as fast as a stock EVO (maybe dare I'd say a little faster) I repainted it so the paint is fresh, a few carbon fiber pieces, HIDS (phillips) all the bolt on's I'd have with a EVO, etc etc.

Even with having no car note I'd still want an EVO because I don't subscribe to the whole "you can spend x dollars on y vehicle and it will be king", because you can apply that to any vehicle.

The EVO offers me (can't speak on anyone else) space for a family, fun for the weekends, current styling, potential to beat damn near anything on a stop to stop drag (I know I know) or occasional hwy pull, AWD for when I got to visit family up north during Christmas of whenever its bad weather in general. Piece of mind (moreso then my civic for who the ? is not a

the only negative I can see is having a car note again (working on making it as small as possible) and having another project to start over with....the latter is really not a problem because I wanted to start a new project anyway.

Besides I've done everything possible to my hatch and to be honest i'm ready for a turbo I just don't want to turbo a FWD car. They can be quick but traction is always an issue and I don't like running slicks (I like to say the time I run @ the track is the same time i can run on the street...which is why I keep the interior in the car and the spare).

Sorry for the essay guys.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

YO YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You want to dest drive an evo buddy

Call me Joe Hill @ Santa Monica Mitsubishi
310-319-1344

I work in sales, bring your freind too I'll take you on the PH1 and some of the cayons. And if your friend still wants a Civic I'll personally drop you off @ the Honda dealership.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you put $2million into a Civic what do you have??

A Civic
Old Jan 13, 2004, 01:07 PM

I owned an EG Civic hatch with B18C1 before selling it to get the Evo...fastest I ever ran was 14.4@97, and I can tell you it didnt handle half as good as my Evo does STOCK.. in the end you are still driving a FWD Civic..not an Evo
Old Jan 13, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Re: evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?

Originally posted by vbquad
.....So then he said he can buy a used civic and spend $15000 in parts and get it to beat an evo all around with a b18 swap......
Is this kid ****in serious???
Old Jan 13, 2004, 01:32 PM
e8
Evolving Member

i think you are all under-estimating the potential of a race-prepped EG6 (which is doable for 15k).

of course i did say race-prepped while you can still street the evo with ease.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by e8
i think you are all under-estimating the potential of a race-prepped EG6 (which is doable for 15k).

of course i did say race-prepped while you can still street the evo with ease.
VERY doable in an eg6 or any model crx
Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Re: evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?

Originally posted by vbquad
So then he said he can buy a used civic and spend $15000 in parts and get it to beat an evo all around with a b18 swap
I was on a road course with some East Coast Honda Challange Integra Type R's and Civics with B18c5 transplants. It would be a mistake to say they are no challenge to a stock Evo. But I found they really didn't have an advantage either. I could keep them, for the most part, in the rear view mirror if I pulled out ahead from the paddock.

So in the end, it's all in what you want for your $30k. Do you want a fast and 100% street legal car that you can live with and drive daily for years? Or would you rather have a car that is also fast but has a completely stripped interior, minimal exhaust muffling, needs constant upkeep maintenance and is loud/hot/hard environment to drive in on a daily basis?

SC~

Quick Reply: evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?