Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
besides all the tech talk, how could you EVER get real respect with a modded civic? driving an evo screams performance
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

civics are fun especially with 500hp. mines at 300whp soon to be 500 and pulls alot harder than the evo. only because of the weight and its a larger size turbo where its top end power. on the highway though civics rock up to 160mph.

but the evo is more fun on the street PERIOD!
---coming from a civic and evo owner

and FWD sucks...fastest fwd civic on street tires is 11.6@120-130 i dont' remember. thats with 450-480whp area
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

funny. for all those civic lovers... why not just save up all that cash that you've got and buy a better car??? its like keeping ure old shoes and upgrading ure socks. =P yeah ull run a bit more comfortable but hey... ure shoes are dying and ure toes are sticking out.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

you can only go so far on a daily beater like the civic.... in addition heavier you mod, the more you sacrifice in reliability
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

well it depends on the B18

if its a LS no vtec b18B u can make close to 400hp that is one strong block.

If u go up to the GSR B18C u can push close to 500 but it take extensive work on the block head etc.

But in a strait line I can belive it will tke a evo.

My buddy has a 95 civic hatch cx and its prob under 2000 lbs or right on the nose pushing close to 400whp and it runs high 10s all day long with right tire set up of caurse

but as a all around car the civic will never win cause u cant push that much HP and still be bad *** on a road coarse with out killing some internals from the extreme heat etc.

for what u would pay to make the civic u would be getting the short end os the stick cause reliablity would be total ****.

want to go fast in a line turbo a honda
go fast on road coars all motor with suspention

want al the above get a EVO ive been on both ends of the talbe here and can tell u first hand the evo is better than my 30K civic I built

chris
Old Jan 13, 2004, 07:06 PM

Forget the civic. Do what I did, get an Evo and build a hybrid hatch of a different color.

http://www.turbomirage.com

Old Jan 13, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

The steering rack alone (something you will have trouble changing in the civic) makes the Evo the better deal. Not to mention the neck-snapping AWD
Oh yeah, and it won't blow up on ya. That has to be worth something here
Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i loved my honda... it was so light and nimble! i really think a lightweight eg with a great suspension and 200-ish whp can keep up if not beat a stock evo on a road course.. of course it'll come down to driver... but whatever.. there should be more respect given to the serious honda tuners. there're some fast *** hondas out there and some great handling ones...

and i dont' know too many honda drivers that would even consider an srt4..

anyway, the evo is a better car overall without a doubt. but as it's been pointed out, stock car vs. civic with 15k is not a good comparison... i'd still rather have the evo.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

[i]and FWD sucks...fastest fwd civic on street tires is 11.6@120-130 i dont' remember. thats with 450-480whp area [/B]
I think we are thinking of the same person. He makes around 480whp on an Integra motor with stock Honda internals. Car ran 11.4 on drag radials, 10.8 @131mph on slicks.

Give credit where credit is due. A Civic will never be an Evo in all around performance, but for the money, they can haul ***.

.....and yes, I have owned both Civic and an Evo. Both ran 11's.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:30 AM
SVT
Evolving Member

Your friend is right. Almost any lightweight car with $15,000 in mods will leave an evolution.
Focus
Tiburon
Mirage
Sentra
Metro
Miata
Old Jan 17, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Again apples to oranges.
And...
As far as drag racing is concerned, a Civic with 15k in it will absolutely rape any stock or near stock Evo.

I can honestly say I have only lost once on the street( street racing is gay I know) in my civic..
And that was in a 400 whp car.
Even on street tires (bfg g-force drag radials, jimfab traction bars, skunk2 drag springs, lsd) As long as I didn't fubar the launch, I could easily catch up as soon as I hooked up.

400whp in a 2000lb car will absolutely rape 99% of the cars out there, and from a roll or freeway run; 99.9%.

Though it would handle like a boat...

But the best part about the Evo, is you can have a car that could pull 11's at the drag strip and with the same tires, even same day, rip up the local autoX or road coure. Then again with the same tires, same day take you to class and work.

Usually in the civic it's more of an either or. Drag or Road racer. And reliability decreases dramaticaly the more power you squeeze out.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

my evo doesn't give me as much headaches as my damn civic!!!
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by boostedwrx
If you put $2million into a Civic what do you have??

A Civic
You put $15thousand into a lancer and you have an Lancer...Evolution.

It's still a Lancer.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MYEVO8U
Keep this in mind too.

But

If you are going to go for the civic and still spend 15K in mods, just go get ya the SRT-4 and spend about 6-7K in mods for it and probably beat a stock EVO (IN A STRAIGHT LINE). But "we" dont buy the evo just to realy quick in friggin line. This car is all about the driving experience itself. You want to enjoy your whole trip to work, from your driveway to the parking lot? OR You just want to have the chance to run an unsuspecting mustang at a stoplight on the way there? Hell you can go get an EVO RS for the same price you just paid to make the damn Civic or Neon go quick in your straight line to work. How fun. Where I live you have to make a few turns every now and then and thats when I get my kicks.

Just personal preference. My .02.
actually, in more cases than none a stock srt4 will beat a stock evo from a roll. A stock neon with 6-7 could probably take a stock evo in a straight line.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone can buy a piece of junk honda and put 15k and beat and evo maybe but it still a honda..they suck..hah.........take a evo and put 15k in it once then were talking

Quick Reply: evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?