Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but a friend of mine said he test drove the evo and said it was over hyped. He said it felt like it bogs before boost finally kicks in.Now i never have test driven it yet. So then he said he can buy a used civic and spend $15000 in parts and get it to beat an evo all around with a b18 swap . I think he is a little off in the head!!!! Can you expert and proud evo owners shut this guy up for me. I will show him this post.

Also, has anyone test drove a evo at san bernardino mitsu? Or where can i test one around so cal. Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2004, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

First AWD owns mostly everything from a stop,you can add 500 hp to anything but putting it down too the ground is a different story,FWD sucks especially on cars with alot of HP..

In the end a civic is a civic ,with enough money someone can make anything fast including a pinto... Just to go straight .. SRT-4 comes to mind,nice car but made to just go straight.

You have to start with an awesome platform like the evo and spend about 1000-2000 and you can beat mostly anything on the street.The evo is also all about handling and will demolish the civic in the twisties,its actually not a far comparison.

Evo is Car of the year in both Sport Compact Car and Automobile magazine..

Everyone has a civic,

Evo's are LEGENDS....

Get the ECU reflash or XEDE about 200-500,exhaust,downpipe.. cams,MBC and your in the 11's all for under $2000

The EVO uses twin scroll turbo there is hardly any lag,boost starts at 3000 rpm....What it does have is a Boost taper at 6000 rpm it falls to about 16psi... thats why you do a reflash or get a MBC to keep the boost at 19-20 psi throughout the rpm band...

all for under $2000

ENGINE IS BUILT LIKE A ROCK.forged pistons iron block famous 4G63

Others will make better points then me with better grammer

Last edited by DocMortal; Jan 13, 2004 at 03:05 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 03:55 AM

its possible but he needs more than a b18 on his civic
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

overrated? Trust me, I was and still am a honda enthusiast, and I love hybrids. But you're comparing a stock car to a totally modified car....

Its just plain ignorant to compare a stock car to something totally modified. I give respect where its due to fast cars, modified OR stock.

Sure you could spend 15K, put a b20vtec motor in a hatch, put a decent suspension on, slicks and easily run faster than a stock evo no problem, but what happens when you modify an evo? Where's the limit? You can spend 50k in a civic, and run even faster.... so what? you can spend 50K on any car and make it really, really, fast! hell i can go to the junkyard, but any old chassis that can still go straight and mount a 10K built motor on it, spend 1k on nitrous.... thats fast too right?

you don't hear anyone here saying how porsches are pieces of **** just cause you can get a evo and spend 15k to make it beat them...

you think evo owners are thinking "oh ****!!! that hatch is FAST, I should have just bought a civic!" People buy these cars for a reason. SCC, automobile, top gear, etc etc etc and the rest of the automotive world seem to think so too. show me any other car for under 30k that performs like an evo out of the box with a warranty( eh hem, "warranty").

tell your friend to get a civic, and make it fast! Clean hybrid hondas are great cars (i still want one for a project car). I'll be happy with the evo.....

btw..... ask your friend what happens when he puts 15K in his civic and it gets stolen. Ask him how much money he gets for it..... then ask him what happens when a stock car gets stolen and how much money you get for it.....
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:52 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?

Originally posted by vbquad
I think he is a little off in the head!!!!
I wholeheartedly agree.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Buckkaaaa!!
overrated? Trust me, I was and still am a honda enthusiast, and I love hybrids. But you're comparing a stock car to a totally modified car....

Its just plain ignorant to compare a stock car to something totally modified. I give respect where its due to fast cars, modified OR stock.

Sure you could spend 15K, put a b20vtec motor in a hatch, put a decent suspension on, slicks and easily run faster than a stock evo no problem, but what happens when you modify an evo? Where's the limit? You can spend 50k in a civic, and run even faster.... so what? you can spend 50K on any car and make it really, really, fast! hell i can go to the junkyard, but any old chassis that can still go straight and mount a 10K built motor on it, spend 1k on nitrous.... thats fast too right?

you don't hear anyone here saying how porsches are pieces of **** just cause you can get a evo and spend 15k to make it beat them...

you think evo owners are thinking "oh ****!!! that hatch is FAST, I should have just bought a civic!" People buy these cars for a reason. SCC, automobile, top gear, etc etc etc and the rest of the automotive world seem to think so too. show me any other car for under 30k that performs like an evo out of the box with a warranty( eh hem, "warranty").

tell your friend to get a civic, and make it fast! Clean hybrid hondas are great cars (i still want one for a project car). I'll be happy with the evo.....

btw..... ask your friend what happens when he puts 15K in his civic and it gets stolen. Ask him how much money he gets for it..... then ask him what happens when a stock car gets stolen and how much money you get for it.....

as a old honda head... (notice the name) yea dropping a b-series in a hatch and putting x amount of dollars and whoppin a$$ all over is kool but no matter what you will always have that traction problem.... my integra is not a street racer but it does hold its own... too many people get wrapped up in this swap thing and its really getting outta hand... all in all i love my evo and my integra but if your friend wants to buy a civic and put 50k in it let him do it...just ask to borrow 2 k for your evo...hell ask for 4k and gimme 2
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

well I raced a turbo civic and he took me for a walk. The entire time he had a problem keeping the car straight. Straight line performance a Turbo civic will have the upper hand (if your evo is not modded) but thats about it. If you want all out performance get the EVO.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Buckkaaaa!!
Keep this in mind too.

But

If you are going to go for the civic and still spend 15K in mods, just go get ya the SRT-4 and spend about 6-7K in mods for it and probably beat a stock EVO (IN A STRAIGHT LINE). But "we" dont buy the evo just to realy quick in friggin line. This car is all about the driving experience itself. You want to enjoy your whole trip to work, from your driveway to the parking lot? OR You just want to have the chance to run an unsuspecting mustang at a stoplight on the way there? Hell you can go get an EVO RS for the same price you just paid to make the damn Civic or Neon go quick in your straight line to work. How fun. Where I live you have to make a few turns every now and then and thats when I get my kicks.

Just personal preference. My .02.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

i think ppl are scared of the EVO and thats why their raggin on it all day every day
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DocMortal
Get the ECU reflash or XEDE about 200-500,exhaust,downpipe.. cams,MBC and your in the 11's all for under $2000
If you want to run in the 11's more than a half dozen times, you'll need a new clutch as well.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

s-afc ,nos , gutted cat , cone filter = 11's but not that safe someone here has these mods and hit 11.8 I believe, but you cant quote me on that. Easy to make these cars go faster.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to go for the civic and still spend 15K in mods, just go get ya the SRT-4 and spend about 6-7K in mods for it and probably beat a stock EVO (IN A STRAIGHT LINE).

I don't think you need to spend about 6-7k on a SRT-4 in order to beat a stock EVO ! More like 1-2K ! those 2004 SRT-4 will suprise you on a straight line if you ever race one !!

Yes, you need more than a B-18 in a Civic to kill a EVO ! Race with my friend the B-18 Civic with bolt on like exhaust,intake,cam,ECU upgrade,header,TB upgrade. Rolling from 30 MPH, I let him start one car first, after third gear , he is like 5 car slower than me !!
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, but your Civic loving friend needs to get run over by one
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i'd rather have an evo over a honda ANY day
even if the honda had 100,000 in parts.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, but your Civic loving friend needs to get run over by one

Quick Reply: evo vs a civic plus $15000 in parts?