Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Jeep SRT-8 or TB-SS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeep SRT-8 or TB-SS

Just trying to get some opinions here. I know the TB-SS has the ANCIENT 4 speed tranny which is quick to 80 and then kind of dies off, while the SRT-8 has a better tranny all-together. Then the TB-SS seems to be a little bit cheaper then the SRT-8 but then again the interior is s*** in the TB-SS from what I have been told. Just trying to get some feedback from current/previous owners here

Also FYI, I am comparing the AWD versions, and whichever I chose would be used.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

I owned a TBSS for about a year and i loved it. I kept it stock minus some tints and HIDs but it moved out for sure for a truck. It also towed my Evo like no other. I do like the SRT-8s but im more of a Chevy fan and i like the LS2. The interior in the SS is not bad, if you go with Navi and leather and suede its a fine interior to me. Either choice you wont be dissapointed. The TBSS is cheaper though, more cash to some modding
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I was told the LS2 in the TB-SS didn't respond to well to mods, and I am more of a Chevrolet person myself as well. The big issue for me is just that 4-speed tranny. What kind of mpg's were you getting. I was told to expect 14 city and 19 hwy
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking into the same exact trucks. So far from what I have seen the Jeep has a far nicer interior than the TBSS BUT the Jeep is always about 10k more expensive. My wife has a 05 Base Grand Cherokee and I always said I would never own one because the seats feel like 2 pieces of plywood but the SRT8 interior is a whole different deal the seats are 100x better along with everything else. As for the exterior its obviously opinion but nothing beats the looks of a lowered blacked out SRT8 with tints and the center exhaust.

If money wasn't an option I would go with the Jeep but im still waiting for something to pop up.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mshilto89
I was told the LS2 in the TB-SS didn't respond to well to mods, and I am more of a Chevrolet person myself as well. The big issue for me is just that 4-speed tranny. What kind of mpg's were you getting. I was told to expect 14 city and 19 hwy
The LS2 I heard responded well to Mods. A guy at our local track has a white SS with just bolt ons, weight reduction and a tune running consistent 11.50s. In the SS i was getting around 14-15 city and 17-18 on the highway. Ill tell you though the TBSS got better gas mileage then my Escalade. Im getting 10-11 right now in the Caddy
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Tbss :d
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
srt8 hands down! the tbss can't handle and even read all the reviews out there the srt8 is the one to get not to mention the interior of the ss looks typical low grade gm. I've driven the srt8 and know a decent amount of them check out supercharged srt8's on youtube.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a TBSS 3SS AWD. I did the usual "me too" bolton mods that 99% of the owners do, and I went 14.2 at 98 with it with a 2.0 60ft One week later I sold it and got my Evo. I definitely would agree that the TBSS does NOT respond well to mods. You really need to break the 450whp mark in it to make it start to feel somewhat quick. Even then, it just falls on its face at like 90mph.

Aside from the fact that it's a fat POS which really has no purpose being made quick and which blows the 4L70E up faster than an IX MR blows the 6spd up, I kind of wish I still had it as a DD despite the 12.8mpg average. It sounded nice obviously, it was very comfortable, didn't look terrible for an SUV, and it tows with ease. And you could romp on Honda Pilots and Xterras all day long.

AND one more issue I had with it, if you ever look at one, youll notice the passenger side sits way higher than the driver side due to the air bags. Its possible to adjust them, but its a pain. EVERY single one has this issue.

Also, browse around the TBSS forums and youll see its loaded with uneducated morons who honestly believe theyre driving around in one of the godliest vehicles ever to touch the ground. The forums can seriously give you an aneurism.

I dont get why everyone thinks the SRT8 has a nicer interior, its cheap and plasticy looking. I always liked the SS's interior more, it was simple and welcoming.