Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Genesis coupe and Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012 | 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Genesis coupe and Evo X

First - let me say, I'm not trying to start a flame war. I just need some honest to goodness opinions.

So I love the Evo...it's been my dream car since I was 11 (or so). Long story short, I can finally "afford" it with my new job I went ahead and ordered one. Well reality is starting to set in that I may not get approved for a loan that expensive, so I started looking into a car that was a little cheaper, gave "comparable" performance, and was a manual. That really only left me with the Genesis 3.8L V6.

Luckily I got to test drive the car myself, and I must say it is something else. Little bit smaller than I would like, but definitely not bad at all. BUUUUT I told the dealer I was also looking into the Evo, so we popped around to the Mitsu shop, and he drove the crap out of that. Needless to say I still want the Evo, but if I can't get the loan, I'm certainly getting the Genesis.

My question is: has anyone owned one? Actually driven both? Gone from one to the other? Just trying to play my cards here to see if it's even worth the time, or should I just look at a different car if the Evo doesn't play out.
Old Feb 10, 2012 | 04:03 PM
EvoM Guru

i was sorta in your position in 06. it was between the evo and the 350z. I ended up getting the z cause i wanted rwd... and now i'm driving an evo... and i lost 14k on my z in depreciation (I bought it new)... if i started the otherway around i would have lost maybe 5k in depreciation...

if nothing else get the evo for resale value. and honestly if you want really want rwd like i did or if price is an issue, get a used z. it'll preform better than the genesis and most of the depreciation will be done already...
Old Feb 11, 2012 | 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

The only thing with the Z is that it's only 2 seats. I like to have the ability to put people in the back (car will be a DD)
Old Feb 11, 2012 | 08:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

I'll tell you right now - you're not going to put anyone in the back seat of a Genesis Coupe

If you're considering a Genesis but are patient, IMO it's worth it to wait a few months and take a look at the FR-S/BRZ. It may not have as much power but it should make up for it in the weight and handling departments.

If you need a functional back seat, then the Evo X would be your choice.
Old Feb 11, 2012 | 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
I'll tell you right now - you're not going to put anyone in the back seat of a Genesis Coupe

If you're considering a Genesis but are patient, IMO it's worth it to wait a few months and take a look at the FR-S/BRZ. It may not have as much power but it should make up for it in the weight and handling departments.

They say that about the new 'Stangs but I can fit in those and I'm 6'2 (granted I would never want to STAY back there for more than 15 minutes though, haha). I agree, the back seats of the Genesis look mighty small.

I thought about the BRZ after going to a car show up here a few weeks ago. Wish it had some more ponies, or a V6 at least, but that may be the 3rd car I look in to. Decent interior and felt pretty good from the 2 minutes I sat in it
Old Feb 12, 2012 | 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with otter. If loan issues is a concern, the FR-S is supposedly going to be mid 20s, which isn't bad, and a lot cheaper than a new evo.
Old Feb 13, 2012 | 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

I looked at a Genesis 2.0T R-Spec. I drove it. I mulled around the idea and then bought an Evolution X. I couldn't be happier with that decision. If you are having trouble financing a new one, why not look at your used options?
Old Feb 14, 2012 | 09:52 AM
EvoM Administrator

This. I'd love a BRZ/FR-S, but would not consider a Genesis coupe at all. If you can't afford new, get a used Evo. Still heaps more fun than a Genesis.
Old Feb 14, 2012 | 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

If I were you, I'd look for a used Evo or wait for the BRZ/FR-S.
Old Feb 14, 2012 | 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

It's really this simple lol....

1. Evo
2. Mustang GT
2 BRZ/ FRS
4. WRX

the Genesis lands somewhere below these contenders imo.
Old Feb 15, 2012 | 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, I totally forgot about this thread. Don't get me wrong, I can afford the car, this would just be my first auto loan (I've had a credit card for awhile though).

BRZ is looking interesting though...I didn't know it was so light. I'd almost wait to see if an STI version came out, but reviews are saying there isn't much room for a turbo in that bay