Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

My new Subbie eater

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the car came from naperville
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

yea i talked to this guy before, real nice guy, i asked him about his car and he just answered them so nicely wish i had that car! dave must feel guilty selling that car.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 01:28 AM

Nice.

If I could only get "creative" enough to get a s15 in my driveway...
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Celm,

So what was the legalization process? How "creative" does one have to be if at all?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:20 AM
Account Disabled

the process for NY
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#import

How to Register a Vehicle Imported From Another Country
How do I get a NYS registration and title certificate for a vehicle imported from another country?

To register an imported vehicle in NYS:

The vehicle must first clear the US Customs Service.
The vehicle must comply with NYS safety and emissions standards.
You must provide US Customs Service documents and proof of ownership documents to the NYSDMV.
Contact the US Customs Service: http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-e...formal/car.htm

Safety and Emissions Standards

The NYSDMV can require your vehicle to comply with the minimum NYS safety and emissions standards even if your vehicle meets or is exempt from federal safety and emissions standards.

Your vehicle must comply with the "California" emissions standards if the vehicle:

is a model year of 1996 or newer, and
has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 6,000 pounds or less, and
has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer.
Get more information about the "California" emissions standards.

US Customs Service Documents

The DMV can issue a registration and title certificate for an imported vehicle if you provide a US Customs Service entry form with your application. The DMV accepts the following US Customs Service documents:

CF368 Collection Receipt or Informal Entry CF7523 Entry and Manifest of Merchandise Free of Duty
CF3299 Declaration for free entry of unaccompanied articles CF3311 Declaration for free entry of returned American products
CF7501 Entry Summary CF6059B Customs Declaration

Proof of Ownership

Acceptable proof of ownership for an imported vehicle includes any one of the following:

A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) for a new vehicle manufactured for export to the US.
A New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) for a new vehicle manufactured in Canada and never registered.
A copy of a Manufacturer's Invoice for a new vehicle not manufactured for export to the US and never registered.
A Certificate of Title or equivalent document for a used vehicle or a new vehicle registered before in another country. The DMV can also require a statement from the motor vehicle authorities in that country that the document is equivalent to a title certificate.
Form DD-430 (Military Registration and Certificate of Title of Motor Vehicle) for a vehicle with a registration and title certificate issued by the US Armed Forces. Only form DD-430 is accepted to issue a NYS title certificate. Other US Armed Forces documents are accepted to issue a NYS registration only. You must provide the NYSDMV with acceptable proof of ownership to receive a NYS title certificate or transferable registration.
Bills of Sale for any pending transfers of ownership that are not shown as completed on the ownership document.
Note: You must provide a certified English translation of any document printed in any language except English.

Remember also that you must have the other documents described in the instructions about how to register your vehicle.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks