Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Smike's FRS Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
You still would
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to rain on the parade and all, but the BRZ/FRS was never meant to be powerful, as with the original AE86, it was meant to be a fun RWD car in an entry level segment. They did however make it “sporty” by giving it an above average HP, keeping it light weight, and giving it a sporty suspension. In all reality it is basically a practical S2000/Miata with a back seat and hard top which in the price range it’s in it is still fairly competitive. As far as the lack of kick back in the seat comment, find me a production car with a high revving low displacement naturally aspirated motor that does that and I’ll eat my shoes. All in all if you’re looking for a fun car that’s stock that is light weight, good gas milage, sporty, RWD, and can be a comphy DD/ weekend racer. I’d say they hit the nail on the head.

I’m not saying that the car isn’t priced a bit high, which if it were brought down $2,000 from what it is, I would pick one up in a heart-beat, then fix those tail lights that are hideous. Personally I’d pick up the BRZ for a DD as the difference in the interior is quite large and it is really comfortable. (mmm heated seats in the winter)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DragonEye
As far as the lack of kick back in the seat comment, find me a production car with a high revving low displacement naturally aspirated motor that does that and I’ll eat my shoes.
My last car:

I hope you like the taste of leather.

I think if you sell a car as, 'sporty' it needs to have some performance. Otherwise, you're basically selling an econobox that's made to look fast, which in my personal option is pretty much retarded.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice Hon-duh!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sliqdaddy91
isn't this offensive to red haired individuals? in before Mods get a hold of this...great review tho
It's okay, not even gingers like gingers.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
So I went into some curves. VSC off, didn't learn that TC needed a 5 second hold to fully turn off (thanks sales guy). Get to a curve, carrying speed, instantly neutered. Instant sad face. Even in "sport mode" it was in nanny mode. I may or may not have been on the edge of traction (payback for sales guy). Turn in was OK though the turns. You had to remember to keep the revs up at 4-7k the whole time or you'll be getting flashbacks to what its like to drive the RX8. Michelin OE tires were a bad choice. It wants to be a sports car. Don't put general touring tires on it. 215/45R17, moderate response, not much ultimate grip. I'd rip them off as soon as possible for some actual extreme summer or maximum summer tires.
don't blame the car for the fact that you didn't know how to turn off vsc completely, nothing would have been neutered if it was off...

tires suck but its a wear item, just get better tires

Originally Posted by Smike
Bottom line:
Just didn't pull me or push me. Or really move me. "I'll have another Starbucks espresso latte mocha frap and return to my beige house with white picture less walls." Trendy, I am sure the 18-22 crowd will love it, but deep down it has no soul. Just like gingers.
so the exact opposite of what literally every auto journalist says...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by golgo13
My last car:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nholmes/2000%20ITR%200933/12aeb755.jpg[IMG]

I hope you like the taste of leather.

I think if you sell a car as, 'sporty' it needs to have some performance. Otherwise, you're basically selling an econobox that's made to look fast, which in my personal option is pretty much retarded.
the ITR might pack a little (and I do mean little) more punch than the frs, but it sure as hell does not kick you back in your seat... and yes, I've driven plenty
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
so the exact opposite of what literally every auto journalist says...
I wouldn't believe what just about any auto journalist says. 90% of them are full of fanboi'sms and don't have a clue what a real race car does.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by migs647
I wouldn't believe what just about any auto journalist says. 90% of them are full of fanboi'sms and don't have a clue what a real race car does.
agreed, but 100% of them said the frs is awesome...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yah? And how many did Scion / Subaru pay off?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

the ITR might pack a little (and I do mean little) more punch than the frs, but it sure as hell does not kick you back in your seat... and yes, I've driven plenty
It's a 1.8L 195hp motor, I wouldn't expect it to. Let alone any car with that much power. Out of the box, the ITR is probably one of the most well balanced mass production cars out there.

In Smike We Trust

Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by migs647
Yah? And how many did Scion / Subaru pay off?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by golgo13
It's a 1.8L 195hp motor, I wouldn't expect it to. Let alone any car with that much power. Out of the box, the ITR is probably one of the most well balanced mass production cars out there.

In Smike We Trust

Yet the ITR was a response to his "kick back in the seat" comment, nothing about the chassis...

And the ITR isn't exactly what I'd call mass produced, the chassis itself is different from regular teggy's
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

Yet the ITR was a response to his "kick back in the seat" comment, nothing about the chassis...

And the ITR isn't exactly what I'd call mass produced, the chassis itself is different from regular teggy's
I gave you what you asked for:

production car with a high revving low displacement naturally aspirated motor

Limited production? Yes.
Modified chassis? Sure.
It's still all around more fun out of the box than what I've been reading about the Toybaru joint venture.

Show me any N/A car of equal power to the BRZ that gives you a kick in the pants. I guess one could argue a Lotus Elise R.

Last edited by golgo13; Aug 29, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

honda 2k was a production car that could be reved to high heavens (9K for first gen) and it would punch you back in the seat as soon as veeeetttttec kicked in past 5k rpm

Quick Reply: Smike's FRS Test Drive