Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Smike's FRS Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
It's very common... manufacturers pay journalists off to make sure their cars are rated appropriately. Happens in every industry. Game development, automobiles, motorcycles, goods. I never trust a journalist for this reason alone. I will always take a proven enthusiast's word over a journalist. Not to mention, half the journalists can't drive worth a damn.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
It's very common... manufacturers pay journalists off to make sure their cars are rated appropriately. Happens in every industry. Game development, automobiles, motorcycles, goods. I never trust a journalist for this reason alone. I will always take a proven enthusiast's word over a journalist. Not to mention, half the journalists can't drive worth a damn.
I'm curious to know what kick backs Top Gear and GRM receive. I tend to find their mags pretty biased towards enthusiasts/gear heads than most.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
I know some do, and those fall into the 90% I don't pay attention to, but to say that they paid off every single journalist is ridiculous...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by golgo13
I gave you what you asked for:

here's what you quoted when you responded with your ITR:
Originally Posted by DragonEye
As far as the lack of kick back in the seat comment, find me a production car with a high revving low displacement naturally aspirated motor that does that and I’ll eat my shoes.

Limited production? Yes.
Modified chassis? Sure.
It's still all around more fun out of the box than what I've been reading about the Toybaru joint venture.
thats up for debate... I'd prolly have more fun in the frs/brz just cause its rwd...

Show me any N/A car of equal power to the BRZ that gives you a kick in the pants. I guess one could argue a Lotus Elise R.

I've never driven or rode in an NA Lotus that pinned be back in my seat
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DragonEye
Sorry to rain on the parade and all, but the BRZ/FRS was never meant to be powerful, as with the original AE86, it was meant to be a fun RWD car in an entry level segment. They did however make it “sporty” by giving it an above average HP, keeping it light weight, and giving it a sporty suspension. In all reality it is basically a practical S2000/Miata with a back seat and hard top which in the price range it’s in it is still fairly competitive. As far as the lack of kick back in the seat comment, find me a production car with a high revving low displacement naturally aspirated motor that does that and I’ll eat my shoes. All in all if you’re looking for a fun car that’s stock that is light weight, good gas milage, sporty, RWD, and can be a comphy DD/ weekend racer. I’d say they hit the nail on the head.

I’m not saying that the car isn’t priced a bit high, which if it were brought down $2,000 from what it is, I would pick one up in a heart-beat, then fix those tail lights that are hideous. Personally I’d pick up the BRZ for a DD as the difference in the interior is quite large and it is really comfortable. (mmm heated seats in the winter)
A fanboy enters.

I'd hardly call 200/150 above average hp for a "sport car". And I don't get the light weight bit that everyone's on about. This car gets worst mileage than my current daily driver, by-the-way.

Back seat? Are you serious? You can't be serious. Go look at this car. Front seat was 1in from touching the rear. Ah, useless in my book.

I think you found them for me...

S2000, Miata, Mustang v6, Elise, Exige, 350z, 370z...all of these have a soul and are a blast to drive. They want you to go fast, beat up old ladies, take candy from kids.

And migs is 100% correct. They usually set you up with the best setting and best environment to love their product. Yeah, part of that machine too. Be doing it in a few weeks as a driver/expert.

I need to quote that - "In Smike we trust."
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeatschWerks
If he didn't like the FRS, I see the BRZ being slightly less. It is rumored the BRZ's suspension is softer.

The BRZ is about $1000 more, but you get navigation and HID's for the higher price.
I saw the brz run faster with the same driver vs the frs around the track in a review.

and to warm milk you can't believe any media cause journalism is dead everything in the media is just entertainment. So go with people like smike who tracks different cars all the time for a good legit review.

also to smike what do you think of the v8 wutstang?

also gingers don't have souls, i once befriended a female ginger, many many drinks later she took advantage of me i mean no i do mean
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Elise wide open would wipe the floor with this car. Seriously. I've had the chance to drive both versions of the Elise (none US version too), Exige, and Evora.

Damn good car.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Skylineracer
I saw the brz run faster with the same driver vs the frs around the track in a review.

and to warm milk you can't believe any media cause journalism is dead everything in the media is just entertainment. So go with people like smike who tracks different cars all the time for a good legit review.

also to smike what do you think of the v8 wutstang?

also gingers don't have souls, i once befriended a female ginger, many many drinks later she took advantage of me i mean no i do mean

I've been in 4.6 S197s and 5.0 S197s (and I race a SN95 4.6). Sticking with the modern Wutstang -- that Coyote is serious business. Torque that keeps going all the way up to redline. I mulled over pretty hard before getting mine. Just was not worth it for what I wanted my car for. Do enjoy borrowing the GT Track Pack from time to time.

Hahaha. Attempted to steal your soul, eh? I know what you mean.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Originally Posted by Smike
A fanboy enters.

I'd hardly call 200/150 above average hp for a "sport car". And I don't get the light weight bit that everyone's on about. This car gets worst mileage than my current daily driver, by-the-way.

Back seat? Are you serious? You can't be serious. Go look at this car. Front seat was 1in from touching the rear. Ah, useless in my book.

I think you found them for me...

S2000, Miata, Mustang v6, Elise, Exige, 350z, 370z...all of these have a soul and are a blast to drive. They want you to go fast, beat up old ladies, take candy from kids.

And migs is 100% correct. They usually set you up with the best setting and best environment to love their product. Yeah, part of that machine too. Be doing it in a few weeks as a driver/expert.

I need to quote that - "In Smike we trust."
i think of "In Smike we trust" like "because race car" it should be the end of arguments
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Skylineracer

smike isn't the only non media person that's driven this car... there are plenty of people that track and autox who have driven this car who's opinion i'm taking into account. and not all journalists are dead ends, some out there know what their doing...

now I'm not saying smike is "wrong", what he posted is mostly a matter of opinion, he didn't like the car... many other find it awesome, its just funny how many people take his word like gospel
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

its just funny how many people take his word like gospel

Non media, kinda.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

smike isn't the only non media person that's driven this car... there are plenty of people that track and autox who have driven this car who's opinion i'm taking into account. and not all journalists are dead ends, some out there know what their doing...

now I'm not saying smike is "wrong", what he posted is mostly a matter of opinion, he didn't like the car... many other find it awesome, its just funny how many people take his word like gospel
good that you are taking other non media types opinions to make yours, but i still stand by with journalism is dead (thats my opinion)

and smike's word is up there with raptor jesus so yea it's almost like gospel
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:30 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I am itching like crazy to drive one. Local dealer sells the manuals way too fast.
On paper, I love it. But I'm sad it doesn't have a usable back seat.

I'll definitely report back if it ever happens.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the look of these cars and that's where it ends for me.

Quick Reply: Smike's FRS Test Drive