Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Thoughts on trading/selling my Evo for an 04-07 CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:56 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E39 M5 if you can find a nice one.

I really like the IS-F, probably the only car with an automatic trans that I'd consider buying, but they're still far too expensive right now.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
You know, I recently had the same thought. I looked around at the Cadillac and decided that if I am going to spend that kind of money, the car is going to be more solid than that. I will agree that it is about as good as an American car can get. I can tell you, though, that there are some European and Japanese cars out there that I would gladly pick before the CTS-V. The IS-F is one of them. The M3 is another. Both of those two feel...more refined than the CTS-V.

I would love to have an IS-F, but don't have that kind of cash....and I work for BMW, wouldn't have one

Originally Posted by otter
E39 M5 if you can find a nice one.

I really like the IS-F, probably the only car with an automatic trans that I'd consider buying, but they're still far too expensive right now.
Again no on the BMW, and yes the IS-F is so sick, only wish I could afford one They are up there past the Gen2 CTS-V's in money.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy had an 05 cts-v. And I loved it! The biggest problem is upgrades and the diffs. All my buddy had done was intake, muffler deletes, lowered, and I think some brace on the rear. Honestly if I were looking for a v8 rear wheel drive that would probably be my first choice. As long as your not looking to mod it too crazy. I would say IMO the 04-05's are better since they have the LS6. I might have a pic of it in my albums on here not sure. As far as getting rid of your Evo for one I don't know haha.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

The 04-05s are a lot easier to find and there are some very strong aftermarket diff solutions. If you don't mind setting aside a wad of cash then you could just swap out the diff right out of the gate and not worry about it again.

Here's the swap option I like - https://creative-steel.com/store/ind...ct_detail&p=69
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by x03_EVO8x
My buddy had an 05 cts-v. And I loved it! The biggest problem is upgrades and the diffs. All my buddy had done was intake, muffler deletes, lowered, and I think some brace on the rear. Honestly if I were looking for a v8 rear wheel drive that would probably be my first choice. As long as your not looking to mod it too crazy. I would say IMO the 04-05's are better since they have the LS6. I might have a pic of it in my albums on here not sure. As far as getting rid of your Evo for one I don't know haha.
The LS6 and the LS2 are both rated at the same 400hp 395tq, but seems as if the LS2 produces its tq a little differently from what I read...being a 6.0l instead of a 5.7l.

I wouldn't go mod crazy on it.....Plans are cam, intake manifold, cold air intake, headers, highflow cats, magnaflow catback exhaust, short shifter and diff bushings.

And you're right....I don't know about getting rid of my Evo, lol. I am strongly thinking on selling my 01 Z71 extended cab stepside now, and my 05 TRX450R with under 50hrs on it, and trying to pick up the other 5-7k somehow else.

Originally Posted by otter
The 04-05s are a lot easier to find and there are some very strong aftermarket diff solutions. If you don't mind setting aside a wad of cash then you could just swap out the diff right out of the gate and not worry about it again.

Here's the swap option I like - https://creative-steel.com/store/ind...ct_detail&p=69
I have seen the creative steel stuff over on ls1tech... that would probably be the way to go...I'm trying to find one that has had the rear diff replaced under warranty, or upgraded to the 06-07 diff.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've considered the same trade, yet I have a hard time with the thought of parting with the evo after nearly 6 years. Although the draw of more comfort for dd duty when I only get a chance to put the car on a road course once or twice a year if I'm lucky is quite strong. Let us know what you decide.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cs82685
I've considered the same trade, yet I have a hard time with the thought of parting with the evo after nearly 6 years. Although the draw of more comfort for dd duty when I only get a chance to put the car on a road course once or twice a year if I'm lucky is quite strong. Let us know what you decide.
I am strongly thinking on selling my 01 Z71 extended cab stepside now, and my 05 TRX450R with under 50hrs on it, and trying to pick up the other 5-7k somehow else
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lghtngyello03
I would love to have an IS-F, but don't have that kind of cash....and I work for BMW, wouldn't have one

Again no on the BMW, and yes the IS-F is so sick, only wish I could afford one They are up there past the Gen2 CTS-V's in money.
You make it sound like it is logical to discount the BMW, because you work at the dealership. I find the opposite to be true. You can get a discount/good deal on one -AND- you know where to take the car to get work done at a good price? Yeah, I can totally see why you don't want one.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:37 AM
EvoM Administrator

There's only a few BMWs I would consider buying and the E39 M5 is one of them.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
You make it sound like it is logical to discount the BMW, because you work at the dealership. I find the opposite to be true. You can get a discount/good deal on one -AND- you know where to take the car to get work done at a good price? Yeah, I can totally see why you don't want one.
Just don't like them...none of that is the issue, just plain out do not like them.