Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Thoughts on trading/selling my Evo for an 04-07 CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thoughts on trading/selling my Evo for an 04-07 CTS-V?

Alright, yet again have I come to a crossroad with wanting to sell/trade the Evo, lol. First I wanted a 98-02 SS LS1 Camaro, and decided against it because of not being able to find one that wasn't ragged out. I am feeling the urge to get back into a strong, solid, rwd V8.

First off let me say this, I've had the car for going on 6 years now, and have loved every minute of it. I really love the Evo, and everything about it. I do not autocross my car, or beat the living crap out of it. Since I bought the car, I have put maybe 12k miles on it in 6 years, and lots of money in mods/visual mods. I'm a firm believer in taking care of all of my belongings. I feel like I want to change it up a bit, and get into something that has luxury.... but still has power/speed, great handling, aggressive looks, and 4 doors.

That being said let me move on to this. I have come to see a handful of wicked 04-07 CTS-V's around my area. The more I see these cars the more I start to want one. I haven't driven one yet, nor rode in one, and am just starting to research them. I do know that I would love to find one that is stock and unmolested or has just an exhaust. Like any car, I know that modding them is going to be a PITA, and the LS motor is a great power plant. I have grown up around GM's, and our family has always had good luck with their reliability.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do any of you guys have any first hand experience with these model of CTS-V's, or know anyone that has one? What are the major flaws or anything such as that? Am I completely crazy for wanting to possibly get rid of the Evo to start with something new?

I am not really even for sure that I want to do this, just kind of a wondering really

Please no BS negative comments like when I posted when I was thinking about getting an SS Camaro.

Here is my Evo of 6 Years for your viewing pleasure, lol.

Thanks guys,
Scott

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Oct 25, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:06 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I was actually seriously looking for a first gen CTS-V for awhile but I ended up giving up. The rear diff is the achilles heel of the car, particularly on the 04-05 (casing cracks and falls apart very easily). I personally wouldn't consider an 04-05 unless the differential has already been upgraded to an 06-07 diff or better. The diffs are even weak on the 06-07 but the risk can be minimized by replacing the rear end bushings to eliminate wheel hop. I ended up giving up my search because 06-07s are becoming very hard to find and it's even harder to find a taken care of one without a sunroof (I'm too tall and don't fit if there's a sunroof).

I did some long test drives on a couple and loved the car, though. It's a large car but the interior is very comfortable, the trunk is huge, and it's a huge pleasure to drive.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Otter, thanks for your post man and sorry if I posted in the wrong section, been a while since I've been on here. I have a couple I'm eyeballing on craigslist, and they are both 05s. One is said to have rear diff replaced by gm, and the other has the 07 diff with stainless bushings.

One has around 60k on it and the others 87k. They are both silver and are right around the same price ballpark, one being $17, 500 one being $18, 000. One is stock and the other has an exhaust and intake.

I really need to drive one of these to see if I even like it or not. But having always loved rwd v8s I am afraid I would fall in love, lol.

Would you happen to know how pricey the maintenance is on these? I do all of my work myself until it comes time for a tune, so I just need to know basic costs or parts one would come face to face with if need be.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive one first. I recently test drove an 09 V2 with a manual 6spd, muffler delete, k&n, and cut eibachs and although I was definitely impressed with the car, I wasn't impressed to the point of trading in my evo for one. I know it's not a V1 but you get the idea. I had every intention of making a trade that day, but at the end of the day i knew I would regret selling my evo. FYI, I also visited the caddy forums and studied a ton on them b4 I went to test drive that V2. The forums should answer your questions about maintenance, tunes, reliablilty, and what have you. Good luck.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theEVOdream
Drive one first. I recently test drove an 09 V2 with a manual 6spd, muffler delete, k&n, and cut eibachs and although I was definitely impressed with the car, I wasn't impressed to the point of trading in my evo for one. I know it's not a V1 but you get the idea. I had every intention of making a trade that day, but at the end of the day i knew I would regret selling my evo. FYI, I also visited the caddy forums and studied a ton on them b4 I went to test drive that V2. The forums should answer your questions about maintenance, tunes, reliablilty, and what have you. Good luck.
What caddy forum did you go to? So far I have only been searching around on ls1tech

Yea the V2 is crazy compared to the V1, supercharged, only if I could afford one
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by lghtngyello03
Otter, thanks for your post man and sorry if I posted in the wrong section, been a while since I've been on here. I have a couple I'm eyeballing on craigslist, and they are both 05s. One is said to have rear diff replaced by gm, and the other has the 07 diff with stainless bushings.

One has around 60k on it and the others 87k. They are both silver and are right around the same price ballpark, one being $17, 500 one being $18, 000. One is stock and the other has an exhaust and intake.

I really need to drive one of these to see if I even like it or not. But having always loved rwd v8s I am afraid I would fall in love, lol.

Would you happen to know how pricey the maintenance is on these? I do all of my work myself until it comes time for a tune, so I just need to know basic costs or parts one would come face to face with if need be.
I don't know first-hand but it's a GM vehicle built from the GM parts bin. It can't cost that much to keep up.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lghtngyello03
What caddy forum did you go to? So far I have only been searching around on ls1tech

Yea the V2 is crazy compared to the V1, supercharged, only if I could afford one

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forum.php

yeah, they wanted 37k for the caddy I looked at. They were going to throw in a pulley and intercooler they had to sweeten the deal. After I slept on it, I just couldn't justify another round of car payments. My IX is just about paid off and I just said the hell with it, I'm keeping her.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:24 AM
EvoM Administrator

It's my hope that in a few more years the current gen CTS-V will have depreciated enough to be an affordable and awesome daily driver (I have a short commute so MPG doesn't matter). If I could find a CTS-V wagon for <$30k I don't think I'd be able to resist.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

^^ Yea the new ones are outrageously high at the moment. That's why I am looking to a 1st gen car. My problem now is deciding if I want to sell the evo, and how much to ask for it, cause the car is immaculate.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Well I went and looked at an 05 CTS-V tonight....all stock except for a Katech short shifter and a K&N cold air intake......

Turns out the whole entire car has been repainted, and as picky as I am, that will never work for me. As well as it being repainted, it was from up North. All of the bolt heads were slightly rusty and all of the aluminum was oxidized unlike cars that stay down South.

I did however drive the car. Needed motor mounts, and rear end bushings/mounts, whichever they are called. When I shifted into second gear you could hear the rearend give a slight clunk, and when starting off from a redlight in first gear you could hear near the firewall area a slight bump/rattle. Common problem, I know they need to be replaced.

I have to say, I was impressed by the car. It being stock with only a Katech shifter and a K&N cold air intake, it was pretty decent. A good 1st gear to 2nd gear rip felt awesome even with the traction control on, and getting onto the interstate, rolling into the throttle in 3rd gear, the power felt really smooth and strong at the same time. It has potential. I mean, stock form its no slouch, but it's not crazy fast either. A set of headers, an exhaust, cam, intake manifold, and a tune, the car would be putting out more than my Evo is now, lol.

One thing I didn't like was how long the throw was on the shifter, even with a short shifter it was horrible. The guy commented and said, "You should have driven it before the Katech Shifter, it was even worse." It will have to be something I would get used to I guess, because my Evo's shifter throw, stock, is short as crap.

The ride is awesome. Very, very comfortable car which I do like. The seats are nice and soft, but still have lots of support, I can even drive this thing concealed carrying and it not dig into my back, which is good as well (can't do that in the Evo.) Handling seemed to be right on par with the Evo, point it wherever and that's where it's going, also nice and tight and responsive. The ride was awesome, not stiff, or too soft.

So I guess I am kind of sold on one of these things. I'm only affraid of getting away from what I have known for 6 years, and know how it responds to everything as well as how to work on the freaking thing, lol. Right now I think that is what I have to fight the battle of now.............do I like it enough to part ways with the Evo?

If I do choose to, I will definitely not be in a hurry to buy one, I'll take my time and the car has to be immaculate, just as my Evo is.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

I LOVE the first gen V's. I wish I would have waited and picked one up instead of the Evo but I am upside down so I decided on building the Evo and keeping it for another year or so. CTS-V would be my car of choice.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

I love my Evo, don't get me wrong.....but I think it's time for a change and a want something with a V8 and more luxury as well as still have some power too.

If I could keep the Evo and get the V, I'd do it, lol. Not possible though....I'm only a little affraid of getting out of my comfort zone with Mitsubishi's and into the LS powered Chevy's.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Aside from the issues mentioned, they seem to be really nice cars. It's a great mix of luxury and power. Once you do a header back exhaust on one they sound really good and make good power gains. They are one of the few cars I'd consider moving on from the Evo for.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoMeIX
Aside from the issues mentioned, they seem to be really nice cars. It's a great mix of luxury and power. Once you do a header back exhaust on one they sound really good and make good power gains. They are one of the few cars I'd consider moving on from the Evo for.
They ride freaking awesome, and has great power. The car with headers back exhaust, cam, intake, and an intake manifold will be well at 425-435hp to the tires. And still be hella reliable and ride and drive awesome still.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

You know, I recently had the same thought. I looked around at the Cadillac and decided that if I am going to spend that kind of money, the car is going to be more solid than that. I will agree that it is about as good as an American car can get. I can tell you, though, that there are some European and Japanese cars out there that I would gladly pick before the CTS-V. The IS-F is one of them. The M3 is another. Both of those two feel...more refined than the CTS-V.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on trading/selling my Evo for an 04-07 CTS-V?