Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2014 Corvette Stingray official pictures

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation 2014 Corvette Stingray official pictures

It's official: the new for 2014 Chevrolet Corvette regains the Stingray badge and debuts at 2013 Detroit motor show

The new C7 Chevrolet Corvette has been revealed at the 2013 Detroit motor show. It follows months of speculation, with rumours that the new ‘Vette would become a mid-engined supercar. It stays true to its roots, though, with a front-engine/rear-drive layout and a 6.2-litre V8.

It also harks back to perhaps its most legendary ancestor by gaining the Stingray name, thanks, apparently, to its perfect balance of technology, design and performance.

It’s still recognisably a Corvette, but shares only two parts with the outgoing C6. It looks bold, though you may be able to spot references from elsewhere – the Lexus LFA-like rear, Nissan GT-R-like windowline and Audi R8-like dashboard design included. The frame is made of aluminium and some body parts, including the roof, are carbonfibre, helping reduce weight and also create a 50/50 front/rear weight distribution.

The V8 engine is said to be all-new, and gains direct injection, active fuel management and variable valve timing. It produces (an estimated, for now) 450bhp and 450lb ft, good for a 0-60mph time below 4.0sec and a top speed that’s likely to top 190mph. It’s mated to a seven-speed manual gearbox – like the 991-gen Porsche 911 – which boasts rev matching on downchanges to negate the need for heel-and-toeing – as seen on the Nissan 370Z.

As is the way with the current crop of sports cars, there’s also a five-tiered Drive Mode Selector (with Weather, Eco, Tour, Sport, and Track profiles) to tweak various parts of the Corvette’s character. A ‘Z51 Performance Package’ includes an electronic limited-slip differential, dry-sump oil system, a different aero package and optimised brake, differential and transmission cooling.

The 2014 Corvette Stingray will be built at the same site as its predecessors in Bowling Green, Kentucky, with a multi-million dollar upgrade seeing the aluminium frame built in-house.

Sales of the new Corvette start in the autumn in the USA, with official left-hand-drive imports to the UK expected shortly after. Expect to pay upwards of £50,000, though that does buy a car that betters the power and performance of an £87,000 Audi R8.

Last edited by ak47po; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Camaro, Vette & GTR had a baby....no me gusta...As of right now I am not a fan, maybe it will grow on me...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I agree it does look like the baby of the Camaro and GTR. The rear looks so much like a Camaro. I will say, the interior and front end they did a good job on. I want to see one in person lol.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:12 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
I love everything but the damn LED headlight trim. God I can't wait for that fad to die.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never thought I'd say this, but "I'd get one"
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Imagine the aftermarket potential.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Visually I don't like it but mechanically I'm sure I'd have no problem loving it.

- Roof needs to be body color.
- Vents should be body color unless they're carbon fiber
- I hate hate hate the rear end. I hate the tail lights and the trim around them. I hate the mess of black trim taking up half the rear end. I think the quad-tip exhaust takes up too much space and stands out too much. IMO, 2 center outlets would've looked better.
- Ditch the chrome strip in the grille
- Offer blacked out or body colored headlight housings.

I also hate red The tan leather interior does look quite nice, though, and I'm sure the car will be amazing mechanically and performance wise.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll show interest when it's all wheel drive....
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like they tried too hard. It not sleek, I feel like the car is rough around the edges and commands attention in a the wrong way. At first glance I didn't like the interior but that is growing on me the more I stare at it. Bottom line, I'd drive it but wouldn't buy it. I'd choose the style of the ZR1 over this anyday.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I for one think this is the best looking 'Vette to date, and the interior has been improved enough to make me consider one.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a Corvette I could get into, so far I haven't cared for them at all. Can't wait to see one in person!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:07 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NODAKevo
It looks like they tried too hard. It not sleek, I feel like the car is rough around the edges and commands attention in a the wrong way. At first glance I didn't like the interior but that is growing on me the more I stare at it. Bottom line, I'd drive it but wouldn't buy it. I'd choose the style of the ZR1 over this anyday.
I think the ZR1 looks a bit off in person, too, mainly because the OEM wheels make it look awkward.

Exterior wise I like the C6 a lot more but there's no denying that the C7 interior is a vast improvement. I wonder what the C7 price tag will be.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Damn that interior is sexayyyy!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
I wonder what the C7 price tag will be.
Rumor is $54k for a base Stingray.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member