Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

4G63 Swap

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4G63 Swap

I posted in newbie area that I was getting back to it and since my project has only been done a few times some suggested I add to a different area.

So here it is

I have a 96 Eclipse GS(420a) 2G(a)

I had the 4G63 swap done, it runs but the project is a failed in my eyes because the shop was told I want a daily driver with all the comforts.

LONG story short here we are
Attached Thumbnails 4G63 Swap-rvfrankie-2-.jpg   4G63 Swap-rvfrankie-3-.jpg   4G63 Swap-rvfrankie-4-.jpg   4G63 Swap-rvfrankie-5-.jpg  
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:45 AM

More Pics

Originally Posted by DaEvoBull
I posted in newbie area that I was getting back to it and since my project has only been done a few times some suggested I add to a different area.

So here it is

I have a 96 Eclipse GS(420a) 2G(a)

I had the 4G63 swap done, it runs but the project is a failed in my eyes because the shop was told I want a daily driver with all the comforts.

LONG story short here we are
More Pics

So the Idea was to use a 2G(b) rear bumper cause I like the back up lights, and the lower half of a 08 350Z rear bumper and fuse them together.

This is the rough stage so be gentle with your comments, it will be fully filled and smooth before the project is over

The reason for the 350Z lower bumper is cause I had an idea that the exhaust of the 350Z w/ Evo Engine as the heart would sound great so I cut the rear floor out to fit the Z's muffler and I need my 3" downpipe and I will connect them and find out if my theory was right.
Attached Thumbnails 4G63 Swap-rvfrankie.jpg   4G63 Swap-fefrankie.jpg   4G63 Swap-fefrankie-2-.jpg   4G63 Swap-fefrankie-3-.jpg   4G63 Swap-fefrankie-4-.jpg  

Last edited by DaEvoBull; Jan 22, 2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

This wins the Internetz

Originally Posted by DaEvoBull
The reason for the 350Z lower bumper is cause I had an idea that the exhaust of the 350Z w/ Evo Engine as the heart would sound great so I cut the rear floor out to fit the Z's muffler and I need my 3" downpipe and I will connect them and find out if my theory was right.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:42 AM

Thanks, .. funny
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

90% of the time projects like this go very wrong. Most people don't have the imagination to pull off a project. You want the car to look natural, like it was designed to be that way.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
90% of the time projects like this go very wrong. Most people don't have the imagination to pull off a project. You want the car to look natural, like it was designed to be that way.

Yeah tell me about it, ... I will have to apply the eating an elephant approach when it comes to this build, you know
**One Bite at a time **

lol
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very ambitious. But how is the 4g63 engine and the 350 exhaust? You know I dont even know how to ask this question. The Z sounds badass thanks to the VQ engine. IMHO you should have just left a regular exhaust. Plus a dual tip is pretty tacky for anything under 6 cyl.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by NODAKevo
Plus a dual tip is pretty tacky for anything under 6 cyl.
That's one thing that I've never liked about the X.

OP, kudos to you for doing something different
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:55 AM

As far as the exhaust question yeah there is a diff, from the VQ to 4G63 but here is whats in my mind. My CAI + Magnus intake will allow more intake flow and sound and since I plan on using 3" from the dump housing to the Z's muffler it will increase the flow of air ( which according to some of the Z's forums the open flow exhaust is the core for the sound ) I think it would sound ok.

Dual exhaust look tacky? - I dont't think so, and Sir Mix-a-lot said it best I LIKE BIG BUTTS / and strong sound paid with dual exhaust is the big butt of the car world LOL

I have a little leak in the Power Steering which I have to fix and then I will focus on the exhaust. I will keep ya'll posted , ... I'll try to post some vids too
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi
This wins the Internetz
Be nice.

To the OP, I feel for you man, I know you like your car and all - but to do all this when Mitsu made perfectly good GS-Ts from the factory seems pointless IMO. But now that you've gone this far I gotta tell you a Z sounds like a Z because of the VQ engine - not because of the exhaust.

If you pull this off, try something different, like an Avenger or Sebring perhaps?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Be nice.

To the OP, I feel for you man, I know you like your car and all - but to do all this when Mitsu made perfectly good GS-Ts from the factory seems pointless IMO. But now that you've gone this far I gotta tell you a Z sounds like a Z because of the VQ engine - not because of the exhaust.

If you pull this off, try something different, like an Avenger or Sebring perhaps?

Thanks, I hear you but I always wanted an Eclispe I had never given it much thought about performance I just like the look. It would have stayed a 420A had I not needed to replace the thermostat housing which sent me to the ALL powerfull Internet and my wonderfull wifes chance encounter with a turbo'd vehicle and her asking what makes a car PSSST.

Those 2 events lead me to want to build the engine for boost, long story short

Here we are.

My next build will be my Tundra not too sure yet.

Thanks for everyones comments.