Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2013 wrangler? Or you had a wrangler before?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question 2013 wrangler? Or you had a wrangler before?

I now decided to sell my evo and go for little bigger/family car. I need to get an auto so my wife can also drive sometimes.

Im looking at wrangler and my wife wants rav4. Toyota is boring imo, wrangler sounds much fun to drive and looks good. But my wife doesnt want wrangler because she heard jeep has so many problems.

Do any of you had wrangler? Will you please share your experince?

Our budget is around 28k and must be brand new.

Thank you!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't owned one but I have a couple friends who are really into Jeeps. The nugget of advice I've walked away with is if you're going to buy a Wrangler then the only way to go is one with the inline 6. They don't have much nice to say about the newer V6 (2007 and newer). Downside is that I don't think the older ones are available in the larger and more family-friendly 4 door version.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. Its little different from what i have read on jeepforum. They saying that new 3.6 (2012+) is great engine compared to 07+2011 that has 3.8.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rented one (4 door)while on vacation for 2 weeks.I wouldn't recommend them for a family.They are very uncomfortable.The back of the back seat i feel is too erect and makes it very hard on your back.The front seats are just slightly more comfortable.The ride isnt the best but thats what is to be expected from a jeep.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Dude, I know you are going to hate hearing this, but get the RAV4. There is totally no comparission...... We had to get a larger vehicle for my wife and I litterally cringed at the thought, or sight, of a RAV4. However, after owning it I wouldnt trade it for anything in its class. If you actually need some serious 4X4 action of the the Jeep then go for it, but I had to be stuck with a 4 door model for 3 weeks and unless you live in 4X4 country for daily driving the thing drives like an utter peice of S***!!! Plus, horribly cheap *** interior and basically no space in the back for anything! After driving every small "CUV" the RAV4 handles the best and the 4 banger outdrives most other V6's in the class. I know the thought sucks, but you would want to kill yourself if you bought the Jeep............. We have gone on some pretty crazy camping trips with 4 adults and a fully loaded RAV4 on mountanous back roads and the AWD RAV4 did perfect, actually stunned me how well it did. Plus, when I head to the mountains on the weekends during the winter, I steal the RAV4 before I ever think about taking the X.

Good luck!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd get an Outlander before I'd get a RAV-4. You'll get a comparable vehicle for less money because your local Mitsubishi dealer is starving compared to your local Toyota dealer.

As far as Jeeps go, at least the 4-door ones are smoother on road because of their longer wheelbase but it is basically an off road vehicle playing at being an on road vehicle. A soft roader crossover type like a Rav4 or Outlander is far more usable and practical for everyday family life. Only way I'd own a Jeep is if I could afford another real vehicle to drive everyday and keep the Jeep for weekend trips to the cabin or muddin'. 2012+ Pentastar engine is fine.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:35 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Chef-j
Thanks. Its little different from what i have read on jeepforum. They saying that new 3.6 (2012+) is great engine compared to 07+2011 that has 3.8.
I probably haven't talked Jeeps since 2011 so my info is likely out of date.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks to all opinion guys.

I can get v6 rav4 fwd for my price range. Another reason i want to stay out of toyota is all my family drives toyota... ( wife and my sister drives camry, dad has 4runner & taco and bro in law has highlander) wtf huh lol.

I will also check out forester and outlander as well.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Buy a new 4 door Jeep. The interiors are hundreds of times nicer in the current models after the recent update. The new V6 is raved about everywhere. They hold value as well if not better than Evo IX's. The new Jeeps are also extremely reliable. Get a hardtop. Call it a day. Forget the Rav.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

The Jeep is no doubt better off the pavement, but that's where it's advantages stop. Get the Rav4.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Have one..

Absolutely FUN ride. Fun for Kids... they LOVE IT..

That said.. they are no EVO in road manors. The drink fuel, but try to pull the doors and top off and it's a BLAST.

sand, mud, snow, whatever... they just GO!

Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

I still have to wait untill i sell my evo tranny and moving, so we still got some time. From i see both cars are great and we are gonna check out both dealer and go with who gives much better deal.

Thank you
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steed77
Have one..

That said.. they are no EVO in road manors. The drink fuel, but try to pull the doors and top off and it's a BLAST.

Sexy!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:10 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Steed77
Have one..

I'm not into off-road vehicles but I would love to have the JK-8 conversion of one of these.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler...-warranty.html

Insideline is testing one long term. Some good information in their posts. This stuck out to me though....

Quick Reply: 2013 wrangler? Or you had a wrangler before?