Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

C7 Z51, who's considering jumping ship?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:01 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
C7 Z51, who's considering jumping ship?

Maybe its just me, but the new C7 is getting me all excited. I've gone back and forth thinking about selling the Evo (paid off) and picking up a new corvette. I don't think I could justify a Z06 right now while we're looking at building a new house but the C7 running stock class SCCA would actually be a wash with my Evo costs running SM.

So who else is thinking about it?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If everything goes as smooth and if I my current STI back to stock I will be one of the first guys to own a C7 with Z51. Remember, back in mach of 2008 I purchased a brand new C6 Z06 and 4 months after that I loaded it with cams, headers, cylinder head work, tune, ported intake and throtle body.

The initial acceleration test on the C7 are getting anywhere from 3.9 to 4.1 sec 0-60 and 12.0 to 12.2 and traps of 117. That is quick!!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 03:32 PM
EvoM Guru

I wouldnt say its blistering fast, but Im betting its pretty de-tuned from the factory. It is however faster than I currently run my evo with 380/350 hp and tq. Plenty for me!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:37 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I love my IX but as I get faster and faster I'm starting to feel like the car is going to need too many modifications to break into really faster times in exchange for reliability. However a newer vette would start me off already above my modified evo.

Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:36 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Join the dark side! Or the old side. One of those. The only problem with the C6 and soon to be C7 iterations of the Z51 is that they have to compete against the C5 Z06, C6 Z06, and probably the upcoming C7 Z06 in SS class. It depends on how competitive you are, but a C6 Z may be a better option for the same price if you are serious about auto-x.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
Join the dark side! Or the old side. One of those. The only problem with the C6 and soon to be C7 iterations of the Z51 is that they have to compete against the C5 Z06, C6 Z06, and probably the upcoming C7 Z06 in SS class. It depends on how competitive you are, but a C6 Z may be a better option for the same price if you are serious about auto-x.
Im guessing the C7 will follow the rest of the vette's into A-street for next year. And comparing the C5z, C6 GS, and C6z they all seem quite course dependent. The C6z has such a tall 2nd gear that you really need fast courses. The C7 though does 70ish in 2nd which is a perfect ratio and has almost as much torque but less revs than the C6z.

So Im theorizing the C7 will have as much acceleration as the C6 in 2nd gear which isn't something that necessarily shows up in magazine tests. Wheres my 30-70mph test

Then also I think the C7 will have advantages and disadvantages. The new electronics and next gen mag ride may add a ton to drivability and stability but the smaller wheels are really limiting tire size.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.08g on the skidpad in the BASE model is serious grip and the car is incredibly streetable plus the new LT1 and way more advanced aero get it 30MPG on the highway. Hell, it might be a pretty good daily driver. The potential of the platform is sky high, IMO. For the money, you cannot get more car. I'd jump ship without hesitation. Or just have both!

Btw, here's the best review so far:

Old Aug 5, 2013, 09:18 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Im guessing the C7 will follow the rest of the vette's into A-street for next year. And comparing the C5z, C6 GS, and C6z they all seem quite course dependent. The C6z has such a tall 2nd gear that you really need fast courses. The C7 though does 70ish in 2nd which is a perfect ratio and has almost as much torque but less revs than the C6z.

So Im theorizing the C7 will have as much acceleration as the C6 in 2nd gear which isn't something that necessarily shows up in magazine tests. Wheres my 30-70mph test

Then also I think the C7 will have advantages and disadvantages. The new electronics and next gen mag ride may add a ton to drivability and stability but the smaller wheels are really limiting tire size.
Can you post a link to the source that the vettes are headed to AS? That would really shake things up. I'm not sure what kind of courses the OP usually runs, but I know I rarely make it out of first gear in mine (C5Z), and hit 54 in 1st - 72 in 2nd. A C6Z can hit 62 in first gear. I would be willing to bet that most (not all) auto-x venues don't hit speeds much over 65, so it's pretty rare that we need to shift, and when we do the power band is usually much stronger than the tires can handle. Even with the electronic aides, I can't see the C7 keeping up with a competent driver in a C6Z. It has less power, 250 lbs more weight, smaller tires, and a softer ride.

That's why I asked about his level of seriousness though, because from everything I've seen so far, it's a fantastic all around sports car. It would be a blast in Solo, and in the hands of a decent driver should be fairly competitive at local events. If the competition is stiff, however, it's not going to compete well with C6Z's, and likely will be at a disadvantage to the C5Z's.

Originally Posted by olmoscd
1.08g on the skidpad in the BASE model is serious grip and the car is incredibly streetable plus the new LT1 and way more advanced aero get it 30MPG on the highway. Hell, it might be a pretty good daily driver. The potential of the platform is sky high, IMO. For the money, you cannot get more car. I'd jump ship without hesitation. Or just have both!
I agree. It's so great to see the base vette become a true bargain performance car again. I'm excited to see if I fit in this one, which is what prevented me from buying a C6Z.

Last edited by Nsomniac; Aug 5, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm considering a used C6 ZR1 for the time being, since I bet the mark-up on the Z51 is going to be pretty insane.

This reviewer is in love with it:

Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Can you post a link to the source that the vettes are headed to AS? That would really shake things up. I'm not sure what kind of courses the OP usually runs, but I know I rarely make it out of first gear in mine (C5Z), and hit 54 in 1st - 72 in 2nd. A C6Z can hit 62 in first gear. I would be willing to bet that most (not all) auto-x venues don't hit speeds much over 65, so it's pretty rare that we need to shift, and when we do the power band is usually much stronger than the tires can handle. Even with the electronic aides, I can't see the C7 keeping up with a competent driver in a C6Z. It has less power, 250 lbs more weight, smaller tires, and a softer ride.

That's why I asked about his level of seriousness though, because from everything I've seen so far, it's a fantastic all around sports car. It would be a blast in Solo, and in the hands of a decent driver should be fairly competitive at local events. If the competition is stiff, however, it's not going to compete well with C6Z's, and likely will be at a disadvantage to the C5Z's.

This month's FastTrack, page 17 - http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...k-aug-solo.pdf

C6 ZR1 stays in SS. All other C6s and C5 Z06 go to AS. Other C5 and C4 are BS.

I'm still annoyed that they're eliminating the HS class and rolling it into GS. I didn't run in it but getting rid of it is really going to discourage people with slower cars from participating.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Otter beat me to the link.. Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Smaller cars are going to like the street tires a little better but the big power car will still be damn fun. Ryan Otis (SS C5z) ran some rain street tires at a local event to try it out and had a blast on them.

I haven't seen any of our guys running only first in the corvettes, seems like almost too much torque for the tires and too much engine braking torque. Of course I've only ever driven a C4 zr1 and all it did was spin the tires (crappy tires).

The weight is definitely a concern on the C7, but the torque to the ground should be equal of a C6z but the C6z pulls further in each gear. I'm seeing the C7 as being much easier to drive for the average driver.

Markup may happen right at first, but read on the corvette forums. People are pre-ordering for under MSRP. And the vendors asking for over MSRP are getting seriously chastised.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The car is way too electronic for me. I hate that crap.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
The car is way too electronic for me. I hate that crap.

You can disable all the TC stuff fully, though the car is faster with it than without it. Just like ABS, you only have two feet but four tires.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:40 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Otter beat me to the link.. Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Smaller cars are going to like the street tires a little better but the big power car will still be damn fun. Ryan Otis (SS C5z) ran some rain street tires at a local event to try it out and had a blast on them.
I do like they're eliminating slicks in the "stock" (now street) classes, though it means the end of the Tire PAX at local clubs. Winning is more rewarding when I beat 20 people than when I beat 3 One rule they were considering that I was excited about (thus it was eliminated) was allowing upgrades to both front and rear sway bars in the street class. Oh well, looks like next year I'll be forced to cave in and move up to STX.

I feel bad for the people in cars like the Fiesta, Fit, Mazda2, etc who are now forced to run in GS and have no chance at being competitive.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can disable all the TC stuff fully, though the car is faster with it than without it. Just like ABS, you only have two feet but four tires.

I dont doubt that, Im sure it is. Too much torque for 2 (stock) tires to handle lol. Throw a set of ET Streets on there and grip away without the stupid electronics

Quick Reply: C7 Z51, who's considering jumping ship?