Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Who has/had/driven s2000?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who has/had/driven s2000?

Who here has had one, have one, or driven one? Whats your impressions of them? Im kinda getting bored with the evo honestly. Going fast costs too much money haha.

I have considered an s2000. Now, I know its not gonna be fast. Im just looking for something I can mod a little, and be a blast to drive. Something thats comfortable, but fun to drive on roadtrips etc. I have heard the s2k is a blast.

Any input?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Who here has had one, have one, or driven one? Whats your impressions of them? Im kinda getting bored with the evo honestly. Going fast costs too much money haha.

I have considered an s2000. Now, I know its not gonna be fast. Im just looking for something I can mod a little, and be a blast to drive. Something thats comfortable, but fun to drive on roadtrips etc. I have heard the s2k is a blast.

Any input?
My buddy has a pretty nice AP1 that I drove twice and it is really fun to drive for sure. I almost got one before I bought my evo. I like the evo more but the s2k is fun.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

You've owned four Evo's and just now your concerned with money?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Im just to the point, I made the mistake of going overboard a little on the evo lol. Built motor, big turbo etc. I can change it back to a more mild setup, but there is more money lol.

Im just looking for something a bit more comfortable, less noisy etc, but still fun. I really like the look of the s2k on a nice aggressive fit set of wheels. (not the hellaflush garbage lol)

Ill hate to get rid of the evo, but then again, if I sell it, I can pay for an s2k with cash.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ak47po
You've owned four Evo's and just now your concerned with money?
Its not that I cant afford to mod the cars or anything. I mean, im not rich, but I have enough extra to support my hobby.

Im just getting bored with the car I guess. Its to the point, I feel I need a trailer and a truck to take it anywhere far.

Kinda looking for something totally different I guess. All my project cars have been dsms and evos lol
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
They are fun cars for sure. They rev to the moon but you will miss the tq from the evo I assure you. The suspension is very stiff and the seats will not be comfortable if you're a big guy. Also the shifting has the shortest throws of any car I've driven in.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted an S2K so bad so I went to the dealership in college and sat in one. Coukdnt even close the door because my legs were too long. So I bought my dream car instead - evo IX
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I owned an s2k.

You will not drive this thing on road trips. After about 2 hours.. youll want to stab your self in the temple with a spare key.

Last edited by xRoguex; Nov 23, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, really? I appreciate the input guys. I'm not a big guy. 5-10, 190lbs. The cars just look like they are real comfy. I wanna go to a dealer and test drive one, but I'm not ready to buy anything yet haha.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
im the exact same size as you -- youll fit in it just fine.. but its going to be "all around you" kinda feeling.

the seats do not recline, fyi.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently own ap2 s2k and 2011 x gsr, the x is faster, but s2k is a true sports car. The car handles excellent, along with the best gearbox and shifter that ive ever driven. Fun factor goes to s2k.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a ap2 s2k for a few years up until a month ago and i gotta say, ive never felt so happy with a vehicle in stock form before. It seemed like it was just right, from power, handling to braking, it was just so good, and did everything i needed it to. midcorner drift? no problem, hanging the rear out, no problem. I felt like i was always in control. My IX and my X were both much faster of course, but i just dont feel as engaged in my Evos unless i'm really driving it hard, The s2k was fun at any speed.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys for the info. Like I've said above. I know its not even gonna compare to the feel of my evo, when it comes to speed. In my evo, anything longer than an hr trip, and I get super uncomfortable lol. I've tried the binary lowering brackets, didn't really help.

I'm currently changing a few things on my car, switching back to 17s, replacing front motor mount with a softer one, going through the interior and fixing small rattles. All in hopes of making the car more enjoyable to drive.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
hey bud,

I've driven an AP2 sk2, it was amazing lol. completely different animal than an evo. go out and test drive one, I'm sure you'll love it. I've gotten several ride-alongs in s2ks at autox, downright amazing. you can see why these cars will out-AX evos once you ride in one. It's a miata on steroids.

I totally relate to what you're saying though. I went "overboard" on my old evo, before parting it out and selling it. For my current evo, I'm taking a totally different approach to the build. No engine mods except for safety/reliability (i.e., headstuds, kiggly HLA), staying stock turbo, stock FMIC, will probably upgrade the radiator and add a trans cooler maybe and that's about it. Then, went with Ohlins, bunch of bushings, rear diff, etc. and that's about it. all the fun without the headache
Old Nov 24, 2013, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, I am gonna try and test drive one somewhere. If the dealer will let me lol. One guy said they arent very comfortable on trips. I cant say they are or are not, I havnt driven one, but I see a lot of older guys with them, so I gotta imagine they can be comfortable lol.

Im just ready to have a fun car, that I can mod a little, and take it anywhere I want, whenever I want. Thats something I never do in my evo lol.

I have given it a lot of thought, to downgrade my car to like an fpred, but if I wanted to do it all the way, I would swap the clutch, turbo, injectors, exhaust etc. Just a lot of money to throw down to change setups haha

Quick Reply: Who has/had/driven s2000?