Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Z06 numbers are out!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 07:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Z06 numbers are out!!

A few years ago, during the darkest hours of the GM bankruptcy, Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter found himself on a conference call with company execs and government overseers. A conversation on the bolts and screws of bailing out GM suddenly halted when one of the federales, a Corvette fan, wanted to know the plan for the C7. “At the time, there was no plan,” recalled Juechter as we stood trackside at Road Atlanta this past October. “We were at full stop.”

So much has happened since then. Flash-forward to 2014 and the scene of our own technical director, Don Sherman, banging on the door of Juechter’s home like some marauding zombie early one summer Saturday, intent on hand-delivering our October issue, which featured an exposé on the C8 Corvette. (Juechter neither confirms nor denies our story.) And to our later meeting at Road Atlanta, where the new Z06 sat freshly unwrapped and awaiting its ritual molestation by car writers. Whatever satisfaction an engineer derives from his or her ideas becoming realized, from seeing mere talk and drawings evolve into a finished product, must increase tenfold in the Corvette program, once an idle afterthought in the mayhem of a bankruptcy and now a full line of highly acclaimed vehicles.

A line that includes a 650-hp thunder wagon with the sophistication and poise of the world’s best sports cars. There, we said it. The Z06 must be ranked among the world’s best. You know that we here at Car and Driver are not idle flatterers, our job being to find the faults for you in haste, before you have to live with them at leisure over 72 months of payments. However, the Z06 completely fulfills its mission to be a super Corvette. It is an accessible American fantasy intended to inject joy and fascination and, let’s face it, a healthy dose of awe into the driving experience, such that there’s not much left to shout about except details.

Details such as a 60-mph nuking of three seconds flat, set by a Z06 equipped with the Z07 Performance package and an automatic. This car tore the quarter-mile a new one at 11.1 seconds at 127 mph, scorched the skidpad with 1.19 g’s of grip, and stopped from 70 in an astonishing 128 feet, the latter two figures setting C/D records for a production car. We also tested a slightly less potent manual-trans Z06 [see bottom of page 2].

Please pause here for an important message about tires. If you’ve followed our preview coverage, you already know that there are now a lot of Z06s to choose from. There are coupe and convertible body styles. There are two transmissions, a seven-speed manual with automatic rev matching and an eight-speed automatic. And there are three trim levels, dozens of options, and three separate aero packages. Then there’s the mega Z07 Performance package that further weaponizes the car with carbon-ceramic brakes, a carbon-fiber aero package, a slightly revised suspension tune, and different tires. The Z07’s run-flat Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer almost-slicks replace the base run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports and are, to borrow from Mark Twain, the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

Back to the test numbers: Um, holy crap. Riding a Z06 through the first four gears feels like putting a saddle on Superman, though the Z06 is 200 pounds heavier than the old ZR1. Obviously, there’s a squidge more power, but this is down to the race tires and the fact that today’s automatics are often faster than manuals in a straight line. We didn’t even use launch control, a simple flat-foot drop in full auto mode being all that was needed to produce these fireworks from the test equipment.

The Z06 we photographed was fully loaded with the Z07 package, Stage 3 carbon aero trim kit, and optional carbon-kablooey interior. As you can see, there’s a Z06 for, well, if not exactly everyone, then a wider swath of humanity’s more impatient *drivers, all of whom will be swamped by admirers at parties. Prepare for the eager smiles of your audience to droop slightly when you say you bought the automatic, as up to 70 percent of Z06 buyers are expected to do. This is a natural, instinctual disappointment, conditioned by the expectation that real sports cars have sticks, mounting evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

We drove both the manual and the automatic Z06 and feel that the stick, with its notably soft and seamless clutch takeup, is still the best choice. Rev matching sounds like a hateful automation of the heel-and-toe skill until you get used to it. Then you wonder why all manuals don’t have it. Or just turn it off. Or use it to learn proper rev matching and then turn it off. [Continued on Page 2]

Full article - CLICK HERE
Old Nov 24, 2014, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This Vette is nothing less than awesome! Now that I woke up from this dream, I better keep working cause I love not having a car payment, my evo will be in my garage for a long time, don't see a 2014 Z06 in my future...unless Jay Leno buys one for me!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pure Sexy And Beautiful
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:40 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If it had a backseat, I would own one. I had a CTS-v in between X's and it was impressive. I can only imagine what this beast is like. And it's reliable I'm sure!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
60-0: in 91ft. 91ft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is incredible.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the old zr1 was 3400lbs...meaning this weighs 3600lbs? definitely getting porky, c6 z06 weighs 3150lbs.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 06:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
must admit that i've been admiring the vette for years. love how well they have engineered it.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:17 AM

Holy 1.19 skidpad grip?! And those are on the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer tires which have a 180 treadwear, imagine what it would do on Hoosiers.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
must admit that i've been admiring the vette for years. love how well they have engineered it.
same here. very well engineered car for the market it attracts. disappointed to see the weight going up though. I was impressed when they managed to clip 25-50lbs each year. guess that can only last so long.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I sold the first one of the first in the SE, and drove it. It pulls like a brick ****house, and I've driven some fast as **** cars. I didn't get to go to town or track it, but that thing will take out cars 3-4X the price all day.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do yourself a favor and watch this video.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...201316475.html

Turn up the volume on this one.

Last edited by ak47po; Jan 10, 2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 92 Likes on 77 Posts
The recent engineering work you see in Z06 and ATS-V is really something extraordinary now. It beats quite some German and Japanese rivals. If GM can do this type of stuff, maybe they are in the position to come up with a model (4-seat FMR/RMR AWD) to rival the GT-R and 911 991 Turbo, on top of the Zora Corvette currently being developed.

Some may say why not come up with an Evo/WRX fighter? Well, it can cause some cannibalism with the similarly-priced Camaro, and also the market for such $40~50k hardcore sportscar is a bit too small.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
corvettes are damn fine cars
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I as hoping it would trap at a Higher Speed, That Auto is to die for however. A slush box that shifts faster than a Porsche PDK unit.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another good video on Nürburgring testing.

He hint's at a lap time.

Last edited by ak47po; Jan 14, 2015 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: New Z06 numbers are out!!