Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Traded one of my two Evos for a Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traded one of my two Evos for a Cayman GTS

Got rid of my '11 Evo X MR, in favor of a '15 Cayman GTS. Still have my '03 Evo 8.

Still breaking it in, so I don't have the full scoop on the Porsche yet. Probably going to autocross the Porsche on January 3 -- that should be enough time to complete my idea of a decent break-in, then really exercise it properly in a safe closed environment.

On the creature comforts side, the Cayman GTS is more comfortable than either Evo, although I never really had any complaints with the Evos. The seat in the Cayman is probably the best seat I've ever had the pleasure to sit in. I got the sport suspension package on the Cayman, so it's a little bumpy on rough roads, but not nearly as bad as my Evo 8 was on JIC coilovers.

Comparing the PDK in the Cayman with the TC-SST in my Evo X MR, I think I prefer the PDK when I leave the shifting up to the car. When I go manual with the paddles, the TC-SST was better, for two reasons. The TC-SST seemed to shift faster than the PDK does, and it had the paddles on the column instead of the wheel. With column mounted paddles, you always know which paddle is which and never hit the wrong one. It's going to take a while to retrain my brain to track upshift/downshift paddle locations as the wheel gets turned.

And for power -- I can't really make a fair comparison yet. I've only really laid into the Cayman's throttle for a few brief seconds here and there. I expect it to pull very similar to my Evo 8 -- my Evo 8 is modified and should be putting roughly the same horsepower to the ground that the Cayman does, and the weight of the two cars should be within about 100-200 pound difference. The Evo is definitely capable of a harder launch with AWD, but once rolling, probably similar -- although with a 7-speed PDK instead of a 5-speed manual, the Cayman should be able to do a much better job of keeping the engine in the sweet spot as it goes up through the gears.
Attached Thumbnails Traded one of my two Evos for a Cayman GTS-newest_cars_lo.jpg  
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice upgrade. Thumbs up for keeping the CT9A.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CT9A stays on as the inclement weather car, which in San Diego basically just means rain.

It's not that I don't trust the Cayman on wet roads, it's that I don't trust anybody else on wet roads... And as my avatar picture shows, I don't mind driving the Evo in wet conditions.