Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2015 Corvette Z06 Brake, Tire Replacement Can Cost More Than A New Chevy Cruze

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 Corvette Z06 Brake, Tire Replacement Can Cost More Than A New Chevy Cruze

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/03/...w-chevy-cruze/

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be the proud owner of a new 2015 Corvette Z06? Of course you have, we’ve all fantasized about throttling its LT4 supercharged V8 both at the track and between the lights, and admiring the exotic looks as we step out of the cockpit. And while its MSRP remains a performance bargain, chances are the Z06 is more expensive to own than you may think. So expensive, in fact, that a set of new Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup tires, carbon ceramic Z06 rotors, and brake pads cost more than a brand new Chevrolet Cruze.

It’s almost jaw dropping, that a 2015 Chevy Cruze starting at $16,170 is more affordable than the previously listed maintenance parts for a 2015 Corvette Z06. The parts come to a total of $16,730, which is $17,859.96 after taxes, according to a quote posted online from a Chevrolet dealer customer. But hey, pay to play. World-class Brembo hardware isn’t cheap.

Of course, there are a cheaper alternatives to dealership prices, as one commenter suggested ordering the parts online instead of the dealership – the total price being $9,900 shipped.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
the only reason I'm not a fan of ceramic rotors...
Old Mar 24, 2015, 06:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
$10k is not unreasonable for a supercar.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
except anyone who can afford a super car wouldn't even consider a vette......

And those that can't afford super cars look towards vettes for performance...... So $10k is absolutely unreasonable.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I see where you're coming from, but I usually look at these things from a percentage of the cost of the car... according to chevy's website, they start at 79k. so 10k puts it at 12.7% cost of the car, which in my book is unreasonable. but then again, they're ceramics... if you don't race they'll prolly last forever. and if you do race, take a page from the Porsche handbook and get steel/iron rotors for racing
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,555 Likes on 1,333 Posts
Rpleace brakes with iron/steel parts, problem solved. I'm sure more than a few companies will quickly bring 2-piece (iron friction, aluminum hat) rotors to market. It should be bring the brake job closer in line with cars like the GTR, which can run from $3k-$4k for front and rear pads/rotors depending on what you buy..

Tires are $2130 + shipping/tax/install on Tire Rack for the OE Michelins. Completely reasonable for the car...

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Mar 24, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Rpleace brakes with iron/steel parts, problem solved. I'm sure more than a few companies will quickly bring 2-piece (iron friction, aluminum hat) rotors to market. It should be bring the brake job closer in line with cars like the GTR, which can run from $3k-$4k for front and rear pads/rotors depending on what you buy..

Tires are $2130 + shipping/tax/install on Tire Rack for the OE Michelins. Completely reasonable for the car...
I agree, consider the 'CCM' or supercar tax the dealer wants to put in their pocket for brakes.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have sold 3 Z06's so far this year, only the 1st had the Z07 Package.

In my opinion driving all 3 (one being automatic, which I did not like) the Z07 pack is great for 2 things: Hardcore tracking and eventual resale. In any other situation it is completely not needed, and I would prefer to not have it if I was driving the car regularly. Even at factory height, the stage 3 aero pack that comes with the Z07 package is a nightmare when it comes to the nose and the skirts which is fine for a weekend or show car but not fun at all with a day to day car.

I'm going to be ordering a 2LZ Corvette Z06 without the Z07 package in either Shark Gray or White, black wheels, manual, stage 2 aero, and maybe red interior depending on the exterior color I pick.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.... $16k+ for rotors, tires and pads is a little much... Just wait a little while and the aftermarket will catch up
Old Apr 26, 2015, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes but no need to replace as often.

There are many differences between cast iron and carbon ceramic brakes. We like to categorize them into four primary advantages:

Carbon ceramic brakes have almost no brake fade.
More friction means better stopping power.
There is roughly 50% in unsprung weight reduction for quicker turns and better gas mileage.
Carbon ceramic brakes can last about four times longer than cast iron rotors.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ak47po
Yes but no need to replace as often.

There are many differences between cast iron and carbon ceramic brakes. We like to categorize them into four primary advantages:

Carbon ceramic brakes can last about four times longer than cast iron rotors.
I would like to clarify this note.

If you daily drive a spec with CCM or PCCB vs iron, this note is true.
The reason being you never get to temperatures on the street higher than 3-400C so the carbon does not burn out of the rotor which makes it last very long.
Carbon or Carbon Ceramic rotors are spec'd by weight, not thickness.
They do have thickness requirements, however they rarely wear more than 0.5mm.

If you circuit drive CCM at high temperatures 800C + you can easily dispose of a CCM disk over Iron. It is actually common in my experience for people who have high performance vehicles equipped with CCM to actually use Iron blank 2-pc disks for circuit driving (with appropriate pads).
Old May 1, 2015, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's depressing. Even cutting costs down to 4k for just brakes is still way more than I would even think of having to spend. The maintenance costs for the GTR and Z06 alone keep the cars out of my league. At least this gives me a better idea for what it would cost to own and track one.