Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

OMG! Callaway's New Corvette C7 GT3-R Is A Track Beast

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up OMG! Callaway's New Corvette C7 GT3-R Is A Track Beast

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/10/cal...-gt3-r-is.html

I just came...

Callaway’s carbon-fiber suit is the ultimate body-kit for the new Corvette, especially as it transforms the already cool car into a full-on racing machine.

Come to think of it, this is the only way you can make the Corvette C7 cooler than it already is. Beefy aprons, widen fender flares and an ultra-aggressive stance makes it a feast for the eyes; but what else can did you expect from Callaway?

Based in Leingarten Germany, Callaway's Competition arm is known for building extreme Corvettes for the track. In fact, the company constructs GT race cars since 1990 and possesses a great amount of expertise and experience when it comes to the American brutes.

The brand new, FIA GT3-approved, ready-to-race C7 GT3-R is the result of two years of comprehensive planning, intensive development and expert fabrication of vehicle components. Furthermore, it was sketched by Canadian designer Paul Deutschman (responsible for many great-looking rides).

Mind you, the Corvette might look like it’s boasting a million horsepower, but its 6.2-litre V8 settles for only “a modest” 600 hp figure, as it was developed to meet FIA rules and regulations. The engine is mated to an X-Trac 6 speed sequential transmission with paddle-shift technology, and according to Callaway, the car surpassed its predicted performance.

This beast will make its first official premier on the racing track beginning with 2016, competing with the world’s fastest GT cars in a variety of racing series worldwide.

Old Oct 6, 2015, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
that thing is stunning. would love to see vids.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Is it street legal?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Is it street legal?
FIA GT3-approved, ready-to-race C7 GT3-R

translation: not street legal

although if you really wanted, I imagine you can get that body put on a street legal vette if you came to Callaway with enough $$$

though the carbon roof structure with no cage might get in the way of some street legal issues as far as safety standards and all if you wanna go by true street legal government standards
Old Oct 6, 2015, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This car will race only on the ADAC GT Masters in Germany. It's a independent project by Callaway, without GM

Old Oct 7, 2015, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sploosh
Old Oct 7, 2015, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was about to comment how too excessive on the aero it was....kind like SL65 V12 merc. But more I look its spectacular, they got rid of the horrible 4 tailpipes and made way for the aero, even the rear that people complain about is barely noticeable. The T-top whatever that is caught me by surprise.....anybody know why that's there? extracting injured driver maybe?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 04:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
I was about to comment how too excessive on the aero it was....kind like SL65 V12 merc. But more I look its spectacular, they got rid of the horrible 4 tailpipes and made way for the aero, even the rear that people complain about is barely noticeable. The T-top whatever that is caught me by surprise.....anybody know why that's there? extracting injured driver maybe?
how can a race car even be too excessive on aero?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 04:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
It's a widebody with a wing, diffuser, and splitter. And vents behind the tires to get air out of the wheel well areas. The wing is level with roof line. It doesn't even have canards on the front bumper.

If anything the aero is milder than the stupid show "race" car builds you see at SEMA with huge canards, diffusers that stick past the rear bumper 12", a 3D aero foil wing that is 6" wider than the back of the car and 6" above the roof line.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
how can a race car even be too excessive on aero?
honestly I thought this was a SEMA special...a pretentious wanna be racecar.

"how can a race car even be too excessive on aero" - well you see this quite often here on evom, giant wings, poorly executed aero a cage, canards all over the place. and some stickers here and there. Just because somebody has these and tell you this doesn't mean its a racecar. This callaway vette' certainty is something awesome.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

honestly I thought this was a SEMA special...a pretentious wanna be racecar.

"how can a race car even be too excessive on aero" - well you see this quite often here on evom, giant wings, poorly executed aero a cage, canards all over the place. and some stickers here and there. Just because somebody has these and tell you this doesn't mean its a racecar. This callaway vette' certainty is something awesome.
ah I see.. wanna be race car explains it. but I meant real proper race car. When I saw Callaway and FIA GT3, that kinda says proper racecar to me.. not some joe shmoe in his garage randomly throwing on everything he can find on the internet with the word aero in it
Old Nov 24, 2015, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Is it street legal?
Anything is possible with enough money.