Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO vs ITR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like SC and Hooptie157....I also owned ITR before my current Evo. I say they are 2 different car.

I've been taking my ITR to track and autox for countless times.....ITR is more driver friendly to drive fast as someone already point out. But you also need a little bit skill to go fast since the car has less HP than Evo.

For handling, ITR is great....it can match many high dollars sport car for only 25K. That's why it made the ITR so special and famous.

I won't compare these two cars......they are both great car for the money and I'm happy I had the chance to drive/own both of them.

the more reasonable comparision should be Evo vs STI vs S4
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

the biggest downfall of the ITR is its value to thieves. I had two... both got stolen out of my driveway....
BUDLoNG
Old Apr 5, 2004, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by umiami80
...If you add bolton mods and a Honda Data to a ITR its traps get up to 106, and will yank a Stock Evo from a roll, there has been a Video of this posted before ...
yeah, i remember that video. but that itr had some funky gearing... still pulled on the evo though.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

the itr in that video had a different final gear ratio.... i think that helped it somewhat and remember, it was a stock evo that it was racing
Old Apr 5, 2004, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

http://cs.widener.edu/%7Eepanek/Expo3teaser.mpg , its not with the evo and ITR, its just an ITR meet. Has some good shots of its well handeling
Old Apr 5, 2004, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Without a doubt the EVO outperforms the ITR in every category, but people defiantly underestimate what the ITR is capable of.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

You cant compare the 2, i swear i would have probably kept my type R over a new evo(i spent 7grand into it), i just liked that car soooo ******* much #00-0430 out of the 1500 made in 00'
budlong...i cant believe you got jacked twice, i got jacked 2 times both from my driveway, both times i had lo-jack(second time was the last time i ever saw it, never recovered)
i had a lot of JDM crap...theres a whole lot of guys who buy the "Hytech" 2.5 exhaust system, they have slips of 13.8(stock tires) which isnt TOO far off from the evo, u gotta know the handling of that car is so crazy its still the worlds best FF car ever made
when i got my insurance money i was considering an evo cuz it had all the same JDM stuff my car had/that i wanted like the momo steering wheel recaros blah blah

but i HATE to say, my beloved type R still loses to the evo
doesnt lose by much on the track though...seriously it can hang especially when it has the JDM tranny with the super close ratios

it was introduced in 97, from 97-01 the realtime ITR(using mostly Mugen parts, made by HONDA) won the SCCA FF class every year...what year was it introduced? and what year did they stop making them? EXACTLY! 97-01
Peter Cunningham is one of the best drivers
Old Apr 5, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

The ITR will be screaming at 8500rpm trying to keep up, while the EVO doesn't even know it's racing.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 07:40 PM

hey SC why dont you have some pic of your EVO and mini?
Old Apr 5, 2004, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Dr. Fob
The ITR will be screaming at 8500rpm trying to keep up, while the EVO doesn't even know it's racing.
Actually i miss the 8400 redline.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kept the R for a little while after I got the EVO... I let it go to keep from having over $1100 a month in just my car payments.

Damn I miss that car! The Evo is faster, but I think I loved that car more. The Evo completes business better, but the R just seemed a part of you... and that glorious sound!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

this isn't even a race.evo all the way. what's up with the people tonight about crappy cars VS.evo's
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

crappy cars eh? like zeus said, you get attached to that car because of how freaking rare it is and the engineering that was put into it..the first ones only came in championship white, to comemorate Honda's F1 heritage(same paint used on their cars) the same way that evos have been winning the WRC constantly
i drive a car that can compete with the evo..but i STILL miss my type R

i bet if u raced a "crappy car" vs my old "crappy car" i would show you who's a crappy driver
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:20 PM
e8
Evolving Member

It's hard to say, emotoinally, but the Evo out performs the ITR in every aspect.

Just like a few others on this board, I had an ITR before the Evo. The ITR is an awesome car. Those who have never driven it don't know how much respect it deserves, especially on a road course. I am almost positive I lapped faster times in my modded ITR on Thunderhill than my Evo, but this is also because I had driven 500+ laps on Thunderhill in my ITR and the Evo was very new to me around the track.

My ITR had Zeal S6's on it so it handles beautifully. The car was easy to drive and felt very comfortable. It was a pure driver's car. You felt very connected with the car and it was very predicatble. The Evo, did the same, but was more edgy and could produce oversteer when ON the gas around turns.

Straight line, no question. The nod goes to the Evo.

However, HP/lb the ITR beats the Evo.

I miss my ITR, but the Evo is still a better car in every category. I miss the symphony the ITR produced.

Last edited by e8; Apr 5, 2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I agree with a lot of the above posts. I owned 2 ITR's an '00 black, like some stolen right out of my gated underground garage (no broken glass, nothing). So I replaced it with an '01 yellow. Funny, when I wanted a yellow one in '00 all I could find were blacks, but in '01 all that were available were yellows, go figure. I track the EVO twice a month, tracked the ITR at least once sometimes twice a month. The EVO was built for the racetrack, and those who don't or will never track their EVO's will NEVER fully understand how truly awesome the car is. That being said, I still like the ITR better. Has nothing to do with performance. The EVO flat out is better in every aspect at the racetrack...period. But there was just something about the ITR, I really can't put my finger on it. To this day I think that B18C is truly one of the best sounding motors on the planet (I've owned a modded '67 camaro 327, '66 coronet 426 Hemi, '97 SS camaro). The ITR just assaulted the senses when above 8k and there's still gear left hehehe. Oh, but I have to disagree with the statement that the ITR is easier to drive...it was actually much more challenging to drive on the edge. True...it's one of the more well balanced cars I've ever driven, but I've seen novices completely screw the pooch at the track, and were able to save it only because they were driving the EVO. The EVO doesn't punish mistakes as harshly as the ITR did.