Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
yet you addressed exactly what I said. and I was the only one to say that in this thread. lets add the "i'm gonna pretend I wasn't talking to you" to those annoying things you mentioned.
I also will say that this is the internet after all. You're entitled to express you're opinion as am I. But i would like to read on how its going with his car not some endless talk about what if this what if that. Hey, im just sharing my opinion.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by slocho
Ok.. Warmmilk, sheesh.. it would be nice to stop reading about this versus that. Let the man love his car!
screw it, can't win against stupid
Old May 4, 2021, 10:23 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by slocho
Ahh man, ive been reading all your post to see how its going with your new car. But its soo annoying to read other people trying tell you what to buy instead and this car is better than that... theres nothing wrong with a good debate but sheesh. Get over it people it doesnt matter who designed what fraction of this and that, the guy loves his new car! Thats all that matters.
it's like politics or religion. One person excitedly shares what they're into. Someone else finds the uncontrollable urge to tell them something different they're into And why the first person should be into that instead. Then that first person has to defend their decision Because, hey, let's face it. It's just what they like. Other people find the need to continue to convince person number one that they are wrong Or, at least why their point of view is better. And it continues on forever LOL

Even I chipped in at first, but I wasn't gonna argue the man's point. it seems like a really good car. I would definitely be interested. I don't give two ****s who builds it nor who's name is on it. I race around in a MITSUBISHI for f**ks sake.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
it's like politics or religion. One person excitedly shares what they're into. Someone else finds the uncontrollable urge to tell them something different they're into And why the first person should be into that instead. Then that first person has to defend their decision Because, hey, let's face it. It's just what they like. Other people find the need to continue to convince person number one that they are wrong Or, at least why their point of view is better. And it continues on forever LOL

Even I chipped in at first, but I wasn't gonna argue the man's point. it seems like a really good car. I would definitely be interested. I don't give two ****s who builds it nor who's name is on it. I race around in a MITSUBISHI for f**ks sake.
Hmmm.. I was starting to believe i was stupid. Warmmilk, you almost had convinced.
Anyway, yes i am actually interested in how it goes with your supra lumpysticks.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj

can't believe you'd betray me like this kaj... haha

but on a serious note, show me one post I made bashing his decision to get the Supra. if anything I was defending it...
Old May 5, 2021, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Haha, so I have the kid tonight, fell asleep early and come back to all this. Look everyone, I really don't care what your opinion is. Everyone has an opinion, good or bad. Express it, I dont care! It is your opinion. All I am doing is sharing my true experience with the car. Believe what I say, or dont, thats up to you. This tread was created to compare my supra with other cars I am familiar with or I have driven, in the same price range or not. This is like reading an online article you just can't agree with, with the exception that you can actually say something here.

Most of what has gone through this thread has been mostly questions. No one has really been bashing, except for noize haha. There have been a lot of I dont believe you post but guess what? I'm the only one here with a supra so I know, not you. I'm not here to spread lies about the car. Everything I have said is 100% my opinion, take it or leave it.

I am a decent driver so I expect my stories against other cars to not make sense. On the streets, if you can't launch the car, no matter what power you have, you are going to lose. This is no prepped track 1/4 mile stuff. This is real life, light to light stuff. In my evo, I never lost. Why? Cause I knew how to launch the thing, thats it. I was too far gone before the "faster" car could catch up. I can safely say, my evo would rip the supra off the line and in a short race, on the streets, would beat it. Take it to a prepped 1/4 track and its a different story.

As a current evo owner, I have every right to say this. In my personal opinion, the supra blows the evo away and I do not regret my decision.
The following users liked this post:
slocho (May 5, 2021)
Old May 5, 2021, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Lumpysticks, was there another car you were considering as the evo replacement? If so, what made you choose the supra?
Old May 5, 2021, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Not in any particular order but....

6th gen ZL1
C7 Grandsport
Exige S
GTR
Ariel Atom

What made me choose the Supra was that it was the only car I could afford new. All the other cars I was looking at were used and probably beat with an unknown history. At least with a new car, I know the entire history. I am still going to end up with an Atom or Exige in the next couple years.
Old May 5, 2021, 04:05 PM
kaj

can't believe you'd betray me like this kaj... haha

but on a serious note, show me one post I made bashing his decision to get the Supra. if anything I was defending it...
I wasn't calling anyone out specifically. I was just talking about car forums, in general. They are all the same. The whole internet, actually

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I'm the only one here with a supra so I know, not you. .
Oh, reeeeaaaally???

Not in any particular order but....

6th gen ZL1
C7 Grandsport
Exige S
GTR
Ariel Atom

What made me choose the Supra was that it was the only car I could afford new. All the other cars I was looking at were used and probably beat with an unknown history. At least with a new car, I know the entire history. I am still going to end up with an Atom or Exige in the next couple years.
I have a friend with an Atom. He was super stoked at first but now I kinda feel like he's trying to convince himself it was a good idea. I believe he had certain expectations that weren't fullfilled ....and those were some expensive expectations, knowwhati'msayin?
I do love all the other cars on your list. I almost bought the same gen Camaro. Couldn't bring myself because ... well... Camaro. I just can't. C7GS is dope, but I don't own jean shorts nor white New Balances. Exige = drool, but I couldn't afford one. 911: same.. I also really wish I could swing a GT4. I almost, ALMOST bought a GTR. Actually was committed to one. It fell through. I then found a GT350 I couldn't resist.. then, at the last minute... decided on something different.
Just commenting because it's interesting we have pretty much the EXACT same list.
Old May 5, 2021, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Kaj - sounds like you got good taste like me haha. Gt4 would be awesome but like you said, out of budget, like most porsches. Porsche's will quickly make you poor. I'm not a Ford fan so couldn't do the gt350, but I do love that car.

Having said all that, the car you got, I always loved them and wanted one. But I dont think I ever will get one. Still love the way they look but I dont know, something is telling me not to. My boss just picked up a pretty beat one with 100k miles. Think its a 07. Paid 25k. Dont know if that was a good deal or not. Looks really cool but don't think it really fits anything. Not really a sports car. Not a full on luxury car. Kinda a mix of both. Grand touring maybe?
Old May 5, 2021, 10:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I have a friend with an Atom. He was super stoked at first but now I kinda feel like he's trying to convince himself it was a good idea. I believe he had certain expectations that weren't fullfilled ....and those were some expensive expectations, knowwhati'msayin
I have a friend with an Atom too, and his brother has a Atom 4 coming. the thing with those is they need suuuper sticky tires to work, Hoosier A7 is the absolute minimum. otherwise its like driving on a knife edge all the time when you're pushing it. it definitely takes a certain kinda owner tho, not really for the sunday cruise kinda person

Originally Posted by kaj
I do love all the other cars on your list. I almost bought the same gen Camaro. Couldn't bring myself because ... well... Camaro. I just can't. C7GS is dope, but I don't own jean shorts nor white New Balances. Exige = drool, but I couldn't afford one. 911: same.. I also really wish I could swing a GT4. I almost, ALMOST bought a GTR. Actually was committed to one. It fell through. I then found a GT350 I couldn't resist.. then, at the last minute... decided on something different.
Just commenting because it's interesting we have pretty much the EXACT same list.
see, you'd take a GT4 over an M2C too...lol
Old May 6, 2021, 12:59 PM
kaj

Having said all that, the car you got, I always loved them and wanted one. But I dont think I ever will get one. Still love the way they look but I dont know, something is telling me not to. My boss just picked up a pretty beat one with 100k miles. Think its a 07. Paid 25k. Dont know if that was a good deal or not. Looks really cool but don't think it really fits anything. Not really a sports car. Not a full on luxury car. Kinda a mix of both. Grand touring maybe?
GT car yep. It's weird. It has all this race car stuff (dry sump, crazy chassis bracing, 50/50 weight balance, etc) but then is just a really pretty, comfy car to drive. I drove it around a go kart track once. It's super responsive, feels GREAT. I love the weight of the steering wheel. If it had more power and the pedal placement was tweaked a bit, I could DEFINITELY see it being really good on track. I plan to get to Laguna Seca on RE71s, so we shall see! It also cruises at 130mph like it's on glass.
$25k is a STEAL. Even if it still needed the usual fixes/upgrades that are typical for these cars, he will come out WAY ahead. Assuming the car is fine and just has a lot of miles. I've never actually seen one with 100k miles on it, so that is very cool. The best part of these car is NOBODY wants to pay for the maintenance. If you are a DIY guy, like most of us, it's totally not a big deal. Parts a lil' pricey, but the labor is what kills.
As for looks, I get goose bumps every time I see. I really love the looks of it. That being said, I'm selling at the end of the year so I can chase another toy
The sound is half the reason I bought it: Skip to 1:31 to hear from inside 1:50 for the tail-pipe cam, and 2:30 for exterior/drive by of my friend driving. He granny shifted it, which is a bummer because I've never heard the car from the outside...

Here are pictures of the front sub frame, the bracing up near the radiator support, bracing that pokes out into the interior, and the shiny dry sump reservoir. The car is so sexy to me, inside and out.

I have a friend with an Atom too, and his brother has a Atom 4 coming. the thing with those is they need suuuper sticky tires to work, Hoosier A7 is the absolute minimum. otherwise its like driving on a knife edge all the time when you're pushing it. it definitely takes a certain kinda owner tho, not really for the sunday cruise kinda person

see, you'd take a GT4 over an M2C too...lol
My buddy's needs some development. With the current setup, the car is super twichy and it's an on and off switch. He likes it that way, so fun > fast. He's okay with that. He's only run DOT tires, so you know how that goes. It's a hand full to drive. Definitely fun, but it really should be faster than my car. I'm sure if he REALLY cared about lap times, he'd make some changes. I think the issues he's dealing with are:
1. It's not as fast as cars half it's price. Not the end of the world, though. But he was super stoked when he bought it. He was convinced he would "push people's **** in". It's not there yet and I think it bums him out a bit. Easy fix.
2. You can't park it anywhere without kids thinking it's a jungle gym. They really want to stand on that CF front wing.
3. Be careful where you park. Most people can't see it very well when parking next to it.
4. You are not taking it on drives out of town. Even local Cars N Coffee can be tough in the middle of summer or winter.
5. It's basically like owning a motorcycle, in terms of convenience.

All that being said, I don't think he'd trade it for anything short of a BAC Mono.

I'm not 100% sure what an M2C is, so I know it's not on my radar LOL. I assume a BMW. But yes.. I'd definitely take a GT4 over most cars.

Sorry for the rant. I can't remember the last time I got to "talk cars" with people. F**k covid.

Last edited by kaj; May 12, 2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old May 6, 2021, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

I didnt know it was dry sump. That is pretty cool. Lots of bracing too! I am going to have to take a better look at it next time I see it at work. The sound it makes out the exhaust is amazing for sure. When I say he got it beat, I mean it. Every panel is dented, paint is faded and peeling, interior looks like its falling apart, needed a lot of bushing, rotors were just gone. Pretty much looks like it was a DD that sat outside its whole life and never got waxed.

Go to know about the Atoms handling too. I always thought they were good to go out of the box but sounds like that isnt the case. I would probably never race it though. It would just be a nice day cruiser for me. Maybe I will just stick to the Exige then. At least that has AC (although they dont work well) for the hot days out here. I was also kind of thinking a 400Z might get added to the list too. I have a feeling their prices should drop pretty fast and wouldnt mind getting one as a fun DD that I could rack up the miles on and not care.

M2C is a BMW. Its the M2 with competition package. Very nice car but IMO, way over priced. The new M4, WTF did they do to the front of it!? Sooooooo ugly.
Old May 6, 2021, 05:43 PM
kaj

I didnt know it was dry sump. That is pretty cool. Lots of bracing too! I am going to have to take a better look at it next time I see it at work. The sound it makes out the exhaust is amazing for sure. When I say he got it beat, I mean it. Every panel is dented, paint is faded and peeling, interior looks like its falling apart, needed a lot of bushing, rotors were just gone. Pretty much looks like it was a DD that sat outside its whole life and never got waxed.

Go to know about the Atoms handling too. I always thought they were good to go out of the box but sounds like that isnt the case. I would probably never race it though. It would just be a nice day cruiser for me. Maybe I will just stick to the Exige then. At least that has AC (although they dont work well) for the hot days out here. I was also kind of thinking a 400Z might get added to the list too. I have a feeling their prices should drop pretty fast and wouldnt mind getting one as a fun DD that I could rack up the miles on and not care.

M2C is a BMW. Its the M2 with competition package. Very nice car but IMO, way over priced. The new M4, WTF did they do to the front of it!? Sooooooo ugly.
those sounds are all STOCK exhaust.
I hear they scream like fighter planes with a 500 RPM bump in redline. that would put it up to damn near 8000 RPM. It wouldn't make any more power but it sure would sound great! Unfortunately a tune is $1200 so screw that LOL

is the guy you're talking about named Mark McElwain?
Keep in mind my friends Atom is set up to his specifications. he's done some things with that that I think affects the performance, but she swears by them. for example, he's messed with the calibration on the throttle position sensor, taking camber out of the rear, selecting a "interesting "choice of tire, and some other stuff that has me scratching my head.
Honestly, I think it could be adjusted a bit and be quite a bit faster. Faster than my Evo? I'm not sure. I would have to assume so looking at statistics of both cars on paper. With an equal driver in both cars I would imagine his has to be quicker.
As for an Exige or a 400 Z, etc. ...I gotta say I feel bad for my friend when we're in situations and he has no roof. he got caught out in the rain once.
​​​​​​
Old May 7, 2021, 01:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
GT car yep. It's weird. It has all this race car stuff (dry sump, crazy chassis bracing, 50/50 weight balance, etc) but then is just a really pretty, comfy car to drive. I drove it around a go kart track once. It's super responsive, feels GREAT. I love the weight of the steering wheel. If it had more power and the pedal placement was tweaked a bit, I could DEFINITELY see it being really good on track. I plan to get to Laguna Seca on RE71s, so we shall see! It also cruises at 130mph like it's on glass.
$25k is a STEAL. Even if it still needed the usual fixes/upgrades that are typical for these cars, he will come out WAY ahead. Assuming the car is fine and just has a lot of miles. I've never actually seen one with 100k miles on it, so that is very cool. The best part of these car is NOBODY wants to pay for the maintenance. If you are a DIY guy, like most of us, it's totally not a big deal. Parts a lil' pricey, but the labor is what kills.
As for looks, I get goose bumps every time I see. I really love the looks of it. That being said, I'm selling at the end of the year so I can chase another toy
The sound is half the reason I bought it: Skip to 1:31 to hear from inside 1:50 for the tail-pipe cam, and 2:30 for exterior/drive by of my friend driving. He granny shifted it, which is a bummer because I've never heard the car from the outside...

Here are pictures of the front sub frame, the bracing up near the radiator support, bracing that pokes out into the interior, and the shiny dry sump reservoir. The car is so sexy to me, inside and out.
the car is definitely super sexy, but idk, I'd still be scared to own one as a track car cause of all the reliability horror stories you hear on the internet. by your account the internet is wrong, but still... but it is awesome to see on track.

Originally Posted by kaj
My buddy's needs some development. With the current setup, the car is super twichy and it's an on and off switch. He likes it that way, so fun > fast. He's okay with that. He's only run DOT tires, so you know how that goes. It's a hand full to drive. Definitely fun, but it really should be faster than my car. I'm sure if he REALLY cared about lap times, he'd make some changes. I think the issues he's dealing with are:
1. It's not as fast as cars half it's price. Not the end of the world, though. But he was super stoked when he bought it. He was convinced he would "push people's **** in". It's not there yet and I think it bums him out a bit. Easy fix.
2. You can't park it anywhere without kids thinking it's a jungle gym. They really want to stand on that CF front wing.
3. Be careful where you park. Most people can't see it very well when parking next to it.
4. You are not taking it on drives out of town. Even local Cars N Coffee can be tough in the middle of summer or winter.
5. It's basically like owning a motorcycle, in terms of convenience.

All that being said, I don't think he'd trade it for anything short of a BAC Mono.

I'm not 100% sure what an M2C is, so I know it's not on my radar LOL. I assume a BMW. But yes.. I'd definitely take a GT4 over most cars.

Sorry for the rant. I can't remember the last time I got to "talk cars" with people. F**k covid.
yeah, sticky tires do a lot for calming down the twitchiness. check out the 2 vids below, first on on A052's (skip to the middle or so when he start picking up speed and pushing it a bit) and second on A7's. look how much less corrections there are with the A7's. And I mean technically Hoosiers are DOT tires... my buddy uses Hoosier wets as street tires in case it rains. and yes, he doesn't mind driving it on the street when it rains. That being said its not really made to hold up to A7 grip levels. His last track day he broke and transmission mount and one of the rear uprights and the wheel bearing kinda fell apart as a result. He got Polotov billet uprights all around, they use Cayman wheel bearings, so massive overkill for the weight of the car. Also, the track alignment recommended by TMI is crap. It needs a real track aligment with the same amount of negative camber as any other car. But much more mild toe, cause you know, car is already twitchy...

1. about it being not as fast as cars half its price, its like a bike, the driver becomes a much more important factor with the Atom. This guy has been able to get his laptimes down to match his Viper (non ACR but with ACR bits) of 1:44 (with a broken trans mount and upright). If you look at the Global Time Attack results at The Ridge, you'll see thats a fast time. Although worth noting he also ditched the fancy carbon wings and got aluminum wings from 9Lives that are a lot bigger and seam to provide quite a bit more downforce.
2. much less of an issue with aluminum wings
3. true, but generally a problem with any small car. I almost got my miata run over by a tacoma backing out while I was in the car, if I didn't honk my horn at him he would have definitely drove up on my car. And it was a stock toyota, no bro lift or tires. And my miata is the "giant" NC maita...
4. I mean that kinda depends on how hardcore your are, haha... doesn't your Evo have a full cage in it?
5. yup, I'd say in more than just convenience. Bikers like to say "you bought an atom cause you're scared of a bike"... in a lot of ways the atom is more sketchy than a bike...

here's a pic of his car, notice rear wing is mounted higher than stock to be in clean air
https://www.instagram.com/p/CH3uursHsqc/

The Atom4 that his brother has coming is supposed to handle much better. it also has better aero, designed by Cosworth (looks awesome btw), so hopefully that works better than the Atom2/3 aero

Like Lumpy Sticks said, M2C is the latest, well second latest M car, all the media thats driven the car were praising it for being one of the greatest M cars, the "real next" M3 since the late 90's early 00's. but its base price is in the 80's... like Lumpy said I think thats too much for it, I couldn't buy one of those knowing I could have gotten a GT4 instead, even comparing used to new...

big thing I'm waiting on to find out about the 400Z is will it have a real steering column or will it be steer by wire like the current Infiniti's? if its steer by wire it might as well be a prius as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by WarmMilk; May 7, 2021 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?