Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 07:52 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by SsZERO
The new supra is just a BMW with a badge and body kit. It's such a far cry from its most recent predecessor. Maybe technically as a car it's good, perhaps even better than the Evo in some ways, but Toyota choosing to let the one of the most unreliable manufacturers out there supply the engine instead of making its own engine was a total cop-out. The Evo up to the IX is a pureblood for the most part. It has an awesome lineage and now being out-of-production it gains a mystique that you don't get with these new bloated pigs they're calling "sports cars". Before someone says that doesn't matter - it matters...or else we'd all be riding around in generic ****boxes that check off a window sticker feature list. Post-2010 cars all seem to have that soulless corporate clone feel...and now they have that "wet concrete" paint color to match.
Most of us would say you are missing out, but maybe not if only classics are your thing. But man....stock for stock, mod for mod, there are a lot of newer cars that are quite a bit better and faster than an Evo. That being said, I love, LOVE quirky old cars that make me suffer a bit when I drive them
Old Jul 26, 2022, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Worse than an Evo? Impossible!
The impossibe has been made possible!

The new supra is just a BMW with a badge and body kit. It's such a far cry from its most recent predecessor. Maybe technically as a car it's good, perhaps even better than the Evo in some ways, but Toyota choosing to let the one of the most unreliable manufacturers out there supply the engine instead of making its own engine was a total cop-out. The Evo up to the IX is a pureblood for the most part. It has an awesome lineage and now being out-of-production it gains a mystique that you don't get with these new bloated pigs they're calling "sports cars". Before someone says that doesn't matter - it matters...or else we'd all be riding around in generic ****boxes that check off a window sticker feature list. Post-2010 cars all seem to have that soulless corporate clone feel...and now they have that "wet concrete" paint color to match.
I dont care about the heritage of the car or who makes it. It's a good car, that's all I care about. I owned an Evo for a couple years, loved it and moved on to something better. The Supra is unique in its own way and if it's not the way you like, good for you. Honestly, I care 0% that it's a bmw with a Toyota badge.

I'm sitting in 2nd place for overall points right now in the series I race in and I can say I could never do that in the evo (same class/same people/same lack of rules). Been a good upgrade for me if I may say so.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
but you're gonna hate on it anyway because it doesn't pass your purity test. I'm sure you know this, but cars changed because of safety regulations, not because automakers hate fun.
Well, it's a BMW Supra. It's an abomination. If it was the GT-R at least there'd be some credibility in the decision since Nissan didn't need Ford to build its skyline rebrand. Safety regulations have nothing to do with what's going on now...

Originally Posted by kaj
Most of us would say you are missing out, but maybe not if only classics are your thing. But man....stock for stock, mod for mod, there are a lot of newer cars that are quite a bit better and faster than an Evo. That being said, I love, LOVE quirky old cars that make me suffer a bit when I drive them
How are you "suffering" driving an Evo? Sounds to me like you're just another jellyfish-spine who got 5 shots and wears 5 masks.

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I dont care about the heritage of the car or who makes it. It's a good car, that's all I care about. I owned an Evo for a couple years, loved it and moved on to something better. The Supra is unique in its own way and if it's not the way you like, good for you. Honestly, I care 0% that it's a bmw with a Toyota badge.

I'm sitting in 2nd place for overall points right now in the series I race in and I can say I could never do that in the evo (same class/same people/same lack of rules). Been a good upgrade for me if I may say so.
Well you can't care about heritage when your "upgrade" is a BMW Supra because there is none...and calling it supra is deceptive. It's like getting a fiero and putting a lamborghini body kit on it, then calling it a lambo. You got a BMW Z4 that is gender-identifying as a Supra... and if you don't care, why respond? The Evo has no such identity crisis and isn't going to chimp out if you don't get its pronoun right.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Well, it's a BMW Supra. It's an abomination. If it was the GT-R at least there'd be some credibility in the decision since Nissan didn't need Ford to build its skyline rebrand. Safety regulations have nothing to do with what's going on now...

How are you "suffering" driving an Evo? Sounds to me like you're just another jellyfish-spine who got 5 shots and wears 5 masks.

Well you can't care about heritage when your "upgrade" is a BMW Supra because there is none...and calling it supra is deceptive. It's like getting a fiero and putting a lamborghini body kit on it, then calling it a lambo. You got a BMW Z4 that is gender-identifying as a Supra... and if you don't care, why respond? The Evo has no such identity crisis and isn't going to chimp out if you don't get its pronoun right.
I get it now. You are "that person" aka not a true car enthusiast. Getting all bent over a cars name is something else....
Old Jul 27, 2022, 05:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
The new supra is just a BMW with a badge and body kit.
Before someone says that doesn't matter - it matters...or else we'd all be riding around in generic ****boxes that check off a window sticker feature list.
This is one of the most hilarious arguments I've read on a forum dedicated to a decades-old Econobox car that happened to check the right boxes for us because Mitsubishi put a cool engine and drivetrain into it.

If a car performs well, bring it on. I don't care which factory it came out of. Cars are something I use for enjoyment, not the cornerstone of a paper-thin personal identity.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 07:26 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Diamond Star Motors ring any bells? Not gonna lie, Toyota/BMW love child sounds a lot better to me than a Mitsubishi/Chrysler.

Toyota/BMW makes so much sense to me, their strengths very nicely overlap each others weaknesses. There is a term in biology called heterosis, or hybrid vigor. I think this is a very good analogue to the Zupra.

You were lamenting how modern sports cars are "bloated pigs" compared to your 9. That's safety regulations. Take an athlete, put a helmet, chest plate, wrist guards, shin guards, knee pads, Hovding, etc.. on them and suddenly they aren't so sexy anymore.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 07:48 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
. You are "that person"
Agreed.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
I can't get over both evo8 and supra's pointy noses. evo9's look perfect
Old Jul 27, 2022, 08:36 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
I can't get over both evo8 and supra's pointy noses. evo9's look perfect
That and the 8s smile. Nose chops look really good though still smiling like a Miata. LolThe 9 had them snorkels, though
Old Jul 27, 2022, 09:14 AM

not gonna lie, the 90's econobox design language never appealed to me. Even the super saiyan anime versions.

Old Jul 27, 2022, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
"Anything past the Evo 9 isn't a real Evo!"
"The new Supra is a BMW, not a Supra!"
"I didn't vax because I don't want the government and Bill Gates to control me!"

Such boring old arguments. Might as well just say you are set in your ways and have no friends. I'm sure you are the same kinda guy that froths at the mouth something crazy when people start talking about EVs and starts chanting GASOLINE GASOLINE GASOLINE.

The rest of the world moved on from 1992. Keep your head in the sand if it feels warm to you.

I also find it HILARIOUS that you came in here to tell us our Supras are really BMW's after not posting on this forum since 2015. First post in seven years to tell us all this. Get a life man child.

Last edited by razorlab; Jul 27, 2022 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RobbieOh (Jul 27, 2022)
Old Jul 27, 2022, 09:28 AM
kaj

not gonna lie, the 90's econobox design language never appealed to me. Even the super saiyan anime versions.
I don't mind that much. Almost sleeper status. It's the flaired fenders that really got my attention, though.
Speaking of econobox..... One of my other cars has the taillights at the exact same height as the Evo, but the Evo is 8" taller.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts
Lmao...
Old Jul 27, 2022, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
I don't mind that much. Almost sleeper status. It's the flaired fenders that really got my attention, though.
Speaking of econobox..... One of my other cars has the taillights at the exact same height as the Evo, but the Evo is 8" taller.
Driving socal canyons is what did it for me. Don't get me wrong, the econobox practicality is a huge benefit IMO. To say it nicely, the cars appearance was something I had to overcome initially. I've grown to like it, and appreciate the styling.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Driving socal canyons is what did it for me. Don't get me wrong, the econobox practicality is a huge benefit IMO. To say it nicely, the cars appearance was something I had to overcome initially. I've grown to like it, and appreciate the styling.
I have a feeling that is going to happen with me and the new Type R. Last one (FK8) I never warmed up to even though it was an amazing drivers car.

Going to place my bet that SsZERO states "ThE lAsT rEaL tYpE r WaS tHe 1997 ITR!!!!!!!!!"

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?