Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 07:08 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I have a feeling that is going to happen with me and the new Type R. Last one (FK8) I never warmed up to even though it was an amazing drivers car.

Going to place my bet that SsZERO states "ThE lAsT rEaL tYpE r WaS tHe 1997 ITR!!!!!!!!!"
I thought my 83' 5.0 fox mustang was Ugly AF when I first saw it. It's basically the mustang from the goonies but with an added factory hood cowl. That, plus the evo, have been my favorite vehicles. So I just try and ignore my taste, because it's not at all an indicator of what I will really enjoy .

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Maybe I'm alone on this but I've always preferred the look of the 8 front end over the 9, though the 9 doesn't look bad by any means. The lines just seem to flow together better on the 8 and I'm a fan of the center nose lol. It's always bugged me that the Mitsu logo was just plopped in the middle of the grille on the 9.
Probably bias, but I prefer the 8 as well. I think it gives it a more predatory street shark kind of appearance.

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
I always thought the evo identified as a honda civic with a big oem wing. I despise the sedan with a wing thing so much i had to get the wagon version and do a LHD.
Many times has my evo been mistaken for a civic. Back in the day I use to get these parking tickets from my then girlfriend now wife's College. For what ever reason they always put honda civic as the make/model. Probably didn't help that I debadged it very early on.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
everyone here in SoCal thinks I drive a WRX, even "car people". sometimes makes me want to put the badges back on....but i like the anonymous, clean rear end too much
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Jul 28, 2022)
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:36 PM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by asayamalaka
everyone here in SoCal thinks I drive a WRX, even "car people". sometimes makes me want to put the badges back on....but i like the anonymous, clean rear end too much
Mine has all the baging and people STILL call it a Subaru. All my city's previous Civic owners all jumped to WRXs when they could, so they are FAR more common.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
You'd be surprised how funny non car people are, Ive seen some mistake older gtr's with Subaru. Everything Japanese seems to be a Civic or a Subaru to them. I mean if you are mistaking an evo with a Subaru in 2022 you're either a pretty clueless person in general or a kid. Its like mistaking a dodge caravan for a Toyota sienna. They're both vans but camon, they look different enough that you should know the difference even debadged.

Also side note: Subaru's seem to have been left behind in the car world. You can pick up super clean 2007 hawk eye (like under 30k miles) here in Canada for under 20k cad, rob eye and bug eye for for as low as 10-15k and there seem to be so many for sale they're just everywhere you look. Not a shot at Subaru's just an observation and im not the only one, I discussed this with some others in the car community and some friends seem to notice the same thing. I think Subaru messed up in that they didn't make the wrx sti any different or special enough from a regular Impreza. The chassis are identical leading to it just being a standard economy car with sti badges. It would be like if Mitsubishi made the lancer ralliart the same chassis for evos and just slapped a wing and evolution badge on it this is essentially what Subaru did for the sti:

ViciousLSD (Jul 28, 2022)
Old Jul 28, 2022, 03:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Mine has all the baging and people STILL call it a Subaru. All my city's previous Civic owners all jumped to WRXs when they could, so they are FAR more common.
here in LA, WRXs are parked on top of each other, and I'll spot an Sti or two on a weekly basis. evo X is 2-3 times a month, 8/9s are ultra rare.

Originally Posted by RallySport9
I think Subaru messed up in that they didn't make the wrx sti any different or special enough from a regular Impreza. The chassis are identical leading to it just being a standard economy car with sti badges.
i've been mulling over this concept for years. i think it has something to do with marketing and consumer appeal. on one hand you take away some of the exclusivity from an STi owner. but on the other, you give non-STi drivers that kind of "junior membership" into the STi club, if that makes sense. and of course the guys that will throw STi badges on their regular WRX love it. also i'm sure manufacturing is more efficient if the chassis codes are the same (not sure?) and you can share parts.

either way, they're infinitely more common, and therefore less impressive to spot one vs a CT9A simply because of the over abundance of them.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 04:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
here in LA, WRXs are parked on top of each other, and I'll spot an Sti or two on a weekly basis. evo X is 2-3 times a month, 8/9s are ultra rare.

i've been mulling over this concept for years. i think it has something to do with marketing and consumer appeal. on one hand you take away some of the exclusivity from an STi owner. but on the other, you give non-STi drivers that kind of "junior membership" into the STi club, if that makes sense. and of course the guys that will throw STi badges on their regular WRX love it. also i'm sure manufacturing is more efficient if the chassis codes are the same (not sure?) and you can share parts.

either way, they're infinitely more common, and therefore less impressive to spot one vs a CT9A simply because of the over abundance of them.
Im East of LA, but in the mix here for sure. Spotting a CT9A is rare treat for me. Not very often
Old Jul 28, 2022, 04:15 PM
kaj

I see an Evo 8/9 one or twice PER YEAR. Most of the owners in my area were also previous Honda owners but had enough cash to choose Evos, when they were cheaper, vs WRXs.
Unfortunately, they all decided they wanted 1000hp and had the local tuner get them there.
I have not seen any of those cars since.
I see WRXs all day, every day. Some are probably Stis, but it's impossible to tell. ​​​​​​​
Old Jul 28, 2022, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
@RallySport9 Thats what i meant about 'enough non-basemodel styling' of the CTR and the Evo9. it seems better if you have simpler siblings for contrast
Old Jul 29, 2022, 06:21 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
We are all passionate about cars, or we wouldn't be here. Let's try and keep it a friendly discussion about cars. Please knock off the personal attacks, and save the politics/conspiracies for the back room.
The following 3 users liked this post by Biggiesacks:
kaj (Jul 29, 2022), SoSoEVO (Jul 29, 2022), zeRep85RA (Jul 29, 2022)
Old Jul 30, 2022, 07:21 PM
kaj

Fiiiiinalllyyyy.
NOW. Who wants to buy an Evo?

The following 2 users liked this post by kaj:
Biggiesacks (Aug 1, 2022), ViciousLSD (Jul 31, 2022)
Old Jul 30, 2022, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
What!?????????? Congrats. Welcome to the fam
kaj (Jul 30, 2022)
Old Jul 30, 2022, 08:54 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
What!?????????? Congrats. Welcome to the fam
All I have to say is "382hp" =
Old Jul 30, 2022, 08:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
@kaj Congrats! Welcome to the super supra gang!

Had my fifth day at Lime Rock Park today. This time I had a supra friend. We had been chatting online and finally met in person. This was a BMWCCA group and they mixed "experienced/advanced" in one group and let me tell you, the speed difference where a bit crazy. So much traffic. I think everyone hated us in that group today as we would just fly up on them.

We decided in the final session that we would play a fun cat and mouse game where we would exchange position every three laps. Which was a good choice as it got hot out and our tires where slidy boys after three or so laps. Had so much fun.

I also got a PB today of 1:00.54 on the second lap in that session. 1.5 secs faster than last event. SOOOO close to sub one minute I can taste it!

Here is the video:

The following 2 users liked this post by RazorLab:
Biggiesacks (Aug 1, 2022), Lumpy Sticks (Jul 31, 2022)
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
All I have to say is "382hp" =
Now go get a jb4 and tune it on e20-30. Really wakes the car up.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Catalyst footage of my new PB.

Biggiesacks (Aug 1, 2022)

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?