Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 01:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
F8X M3/M4's are quickly becoming the new corvettes....

The following users liked this post:
Biggiesacks (Aug 1, 2022)
Old Aug 1, 2022, 07:53 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Bought it on Sat. Raced it on Sunday.

The following 3 users liked this post by kaj:
Biggiesacks (Aug 1, 2022), SoSoEVO (Aug 2, 2022), ViciousLSD (Aug 1, 2022)
Old Aug 1, 2022, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Bought it on Sat. Raced it on Sunday.
So, what are your thoughts after having it on track? Is it modified already? Looks lowered but that just might be that turn. :P
Old Aug 1, 2022, 09:25 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by razorlab
So, what are your thoughts after having it on track? Is it modified already? Looks lowered but that just might be that turn. :P
Yeah, I was pretty aggressive through that section. It squishes all cars.
I It's Completely stock and had 2006 miles on it (2240 now). With nannies on, it drives a LOT like *my* Evo. I felt comfortable right away and started pushing it after two laps. I can't wait to try it sans ASC. I look forward to some slip angle.
Nannies are definitely lap time killers. The Pilot Super Sports really surprised me.
This car is about 10 times more fun to drive than the 350r was. I am finding myself very happy that I got it.
So it was a lot slower than the evo (duh), but I think I had just as much fun, even while not riding gears. I hate to say it, but I will probably be selling them mitsubishi.
Also, I've been having some issues with my left hip, so having some flappy paddles may be in my best interest.

Last edited by kaj; Aug 1, 2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Yeah, I was pretty aggressive through that section. It squishes all cars.
I It's Completely stock and had 2006 miles on it (2240 now). With nannies on, it drives a LOT like *my* Evo. I felt comfortable right away and started pushing it after two laps. I can't wait to try it sans ASC. I look forward to some slip angle.
Nannies are definitely lap time killers. The Pilot Super Sports really surprised me.
This car is about 10 times more fun to drive than the 350r was. I am finding myself very happy that I got it.
So it was a lot slower than the evo (duh), but I think I had just as much fun, even while not riding gears. I hate to say it, but I will probably be selling them mitsubishi.
Also, I've been having some issues with my left hip, so having some flappy paddles maybe in my best interest.
Hahha, nice, I kinda knew you would love it. The trans is really good, right?

If you can believe it, I still drive the car with just one click off on traction control on track. Not full VSC off. It still allows the car to be driven really fast, gives you slip angle but will still save your *** if you get super out of shape. Full traction control on for sure stops the fun.

It's funny you mention it drives like your Evo. Now that I am fully comfortable with the car, I agree. With good suspension, good tires and a proper alignment, putting down power on corner exit feels almost exactly like my Evo 10. The Supra rear diff is pretty magical.

Wait until you put real tires on it!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Man where was my invite to Laguna!? I would have made the drive with a days notice!
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:24 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Man where was my invite to Laguna!? I would have made the drive with a days notice!
Briefly mentioned in another thread. 😂
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:29 AM
kaj

Hahha, nice, I kinda knew you would love it. The trans is really good, right?

If you can believe it, I still drive the car with just one click off on traction control on track. Not full VSC off. It still allows the car to be driven really fast, gives you slip angle but will still save your *** if you get super out of shape. Full traction control on for sure stops the fun.

It's funny you mention it drives like your Evo. Now that I am fully comfortable with the car, I agree. With good suspension, good tires and a proper alignment, putting down power on corner exit feels almost exactly like my Evo 10. The Supra rear diff is pretty magical.

Wait until you put real tires on it!
I look forward to testing all the settings. And I really do like the car. Absolutely. After my Mustang fiasco, I was worried.
But yeah .. If I closed my eyes, it would be hard to tell which car I was driving that day.
Bonus: I've never owned a new car before. This is cool.
This thing must be a monster with larger/better tires.
Also ..I could swear the car was going into auto mode during my session. Does that happen with all nannies on?
Also.... Does it make me a ricer that I'm looking at the Tomei Ti single exhaust? I haven't looked further into it because I don't know if I'll get a CEL from the valve.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I look forward to testing all the settings. And I really do like the car. Absolutely. After my Mustang fiasco, I was worried.
But yeah .. If I closed my eyes, it would be hard to tell which car I was driving that day.
Bonus: I've never owned a new car before. This is cool.
This thing must be a monster with larger/better tires.
Also ..I could swear the car was going into auto mode during my session. Does that happen with all nannies on?
Also.... Does it make me a ricer that I'm looking at the Tomei Ti single exhaust? I haven't looked further into it because I don't know if I'll get a CEL from the valve.
On hard high G left turns the shifter can bounce back to the right into full Auto, maybe that is what was happening? Some people use hair ties to stop it from doing that. I haven't experienced that yet but Lime Rock is all right turns except for one lower speed left turn.

You are moving the stalk to the left to go into manual mode right? Not just pulling a paddle for temporary manual mode?

You can pull a fuse for the valve and you won't get a cel. Just know that catbacks don't really make any gains on these cars. You would be doing it just for sound/looks.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:18 PM
kaj

On hard high G left turns the shifter can bounce back to the right into full Auto, maybe that is what was happening? Some people use hair ties to stop it from doing that. I haven't experienced that yet but Lime Rock is all right turns except for one lower speed left turn.

You are moving the stalk to the left to go into manual mode right? Not just pulling a paddle for temporary manual mode?

You can pull a fuse for the valve and you won't get a cel. Just know that catbacks don't really make any gains on these cars. You would be doing it just for sound/looks.
I didn't really think about g-forces moving the stick, but yes it was absolutely, definitely moving back over into center. I couldn't figure out why the car was being so unresponsive to my shifts LOL
So I can get rid of the exhaust valves and no check engine light. Awesome. Yes, only doing the exhaust for sound. I had one drive by me on the freeway one time and it sounded amazing.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Speaking of exhausts, @kaj what was the DB limit for the weekend? I have heard Supras and a high flow cat are over 100 DB. If you add one in, might have to keep that exhaust valve closed for Laguna.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 01:09 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Speaking of exhausts, @kaj what was the DB limit for the weekend? I have heard Supras and a high flow cat are over 100 DB. If you add one in, might have to keep that exhaust valve closed for Laguna.
It was a 103dB day, so I was about to run the Evo. The downside to an exhaust on the supra, is that I think it might be over the limit, judging by the videos I've seen. However, I'm thinking the cars in those videos also may have other exhaust/cat work done. I won't be touching anything emissions related, on this car. The Tomei does come with a baffle I can put in it, but no valve.
If I want to do one of their basic 90 decibel days, I can take a different car. I don't really foresee myself needing to go back, anytime soon, with either these cars.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
It was a 103dB day, so I was about to run the Evo. The downside to an exhaust on the supra, is that I think it might be over the limit, judging by the videos I've seen. However, I'm thinking the cars in those videos also may have other exhaust/cat work done. I won't be touching anything emissions related, on this car. The Tomei does come with a baffle I can put in it, but no valve.
If I want to do one of their basic 90 decibel days, I can take a different car. I don't really foresee myself needing to go back, anytime soon, with either these cars.
Most of the real loud supras are catless. A catback with the stock downpipe isn't that loud.

btw, you should def do some Bimmercode changes. The first one is the ambient light sensor has some bug where the dash and the media screen goes super dim in the middle of the day because the cabin is so dark. I could barely even read the dash, was almost dangerous. You can switch it to not use the ambient sensor.

You can also do other things like turn off the faux engine noise through the speakers, Turn off permanently the engine stop/start BS, etc
Old Aug 1, 2022, 01:32 PM
kaj

Most of the real loud supras are catless. A catback with the stock downpipe isn't that loud.

btw, you should def do some Bimmercode changes. The first one is the ambient light sensor has some bug where the dash and the media screen goes super dim in the middle of the day because the cabin is so dark. I could barely even read the dash, was almost dangerous. You can switch it to not use the ambient sensor.

You can also do other things like turn off the faux engine noise through the speakers, Turn off permanently the engine stop/start BS, etc
I remember making adjustments like that to an old vr6. I assume I need some type of specific scanner?
Because, I don't like any of that stuff you just listed LOL
Old Aug 1, 2022, 02:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I remember making adjustments like that to an old vr6. I assume I need some type of specific scanner?
Because, I don't like any of that stuff you just listed LOL
https://bimmercode.app/

That app + obd dongle like OBDLINK MX+

The have a list of supported dongles here: https://bimmercode.app/adapters/

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?