Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2021, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
pics of broken stock hubs and upgraded Polotov stuff

I should also note, when the car went in to have a new trans mount welded in the guy noticed the control arms were forming some hairline cracks where multiple tubes come together, so they welded on more metal to reinforce them. it seams this car was really built to Colin Chapmans level of lightness/durability; the prefect race car would would fall apart as it crosses the finish line.

Old May 7, 2021, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
I will have to watch those videos when I get home. Work is way too crazy today. Is your buddies Atom Honda or Chevy powered? Looks like a Honda based on the trans.

Regarding the 400Z, I bet it will have normal steering as they say the car is based off the 370Z chassis, which is a pretty big let down to me.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I will have to watch those videos when I get home. Work is way too crazy today. Is your buddies Atom Honda or Chevy powered? Looks like a Honda based on the trans.

Regarding the 400Z, I bet it will have normal steering as they say the car is based off the 370Z chassis, which is a pretty big let down to me.
its an Atom 3S, so Honda K24 turbo, EFR 6758 I think.

yeah I hope so, plus its supposed to be a sports car, so hopefully they thought far enough ahead. being based on the 370Z chassis isn't the greatest thing in the world but I bet thats how they were able to price it at 35k base... not that you'll be able to buy it at MSRP for a while...
Old May 7, 2021, 03:16 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
the car is definitely super sexy, but idk, I'd still be scared to own one as a track car cause of all the reliability horror stories you hear on the internet. by your account the internet is wrong, but still... but it is awesome to see on track.

yeah, sticky tires do a lot for calming down the twitchiness. check out the 2 vids below, first on on A052's (skip to the middle or so when he start picking up speed and pushing it a bit) and second on A7's. look how much less corrections there are with the A7's. And I mean technically Hoosiers are DOT tires... my buddy uses Hoosier wets as street tires in case it rains. and yes, he doesn't mind driving it on the street when it rains. That being said its not really made to hold up to A7 grip levels. His last track day he broke and transmission mount and one of the rear uprights and the wheel bearing kinda fell apart as a result. He got Polotov billet uprights all around, they use Cayman wheel bearings, so massive overkill for the weight of the car. Also, the track alignment recommended by TMI is crap. It needs a real track aligment with the same amount of negative camber as any other car. But much more mild toe, cause you know, car is already twitchy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tid5...hannel=TamerOz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMU6...hannel=TamerOz

1. about it being not as fast as cars half its price, its like a bike, the driver becomes a much more important factor with the Atom. This guy has been able to get his laptimes down to match his Viper (non ACR but with ACR bits) of 1:44 (with a broken trans mount and upright). If you look at the Global Time Attack results at The Ridge, you'll see thats a fast time. Although worth noting he also ditched the fancy carbon wings and got aluminum wings from 9Lives that are a lot bigger and seam to provide quite a bit more downforce.
2. much less of an issue with aluminum wings
3. true, but generally a problem with any small car. I almost got my miata run over by a tacoma backing out while I was in the car, if I didn't honk my horn at him he would have definitely drove up on my car. And it was a stock toyota, no bro lift or tires. And my miata is the "giant" NC maita...
4. I mean that kinda depends on how hardcore your are, haha... doesn't your Evo have a full cage in it?
5. yup, I'd say in more than just convenience. Bikers like to say "you bought an atom cause you're scared of a bike"... in a lot of ways the atom is more sketchy than a bike...

here's a pic of his car, notice rear wing is mounted higher than stock to be in clean air
https://www.instagram.com/p/CH3uursHsqc/

The Atom4 that his brother has coming is supposed to handle much better. it also has better aero, designed by Cosworth (looks awesome btw), so hopefully that works better than the Atom2/3 aero

Like Lumpy Sticks said, M2C is the latest, well second latest M car, all the media thats driven the car were praising it for being one of the greatest M cars, the "real next" M3 since the late 90's early 00's. but its base price is in the 80's... like Lumpy said I think thats too much for it, I couldn't buy one of those knowing I could have gotten a GT4 instead, even comparing used to new...
I would NOT own an Aston as a track car, nope. Still.. the potential is there. From what I hear the GT3 or GT4 cars (I forget which) are doing pretty well. It's got the bones. I've seen a few GT3 cars for sale. They look and sound awesome and I did want. I even think they were priced decently... but where would you ever find any kinda support. Squirrel! Anway...
My friend was looking at the uprights for his Atom, but he's not happy with the price. They are on his short list. He did go through and change a bunch of the control arm mounts. I don't remember why.. I think some where in shear or something-or-other. I forget, but he did custom ends on everything to keep them from snapping. Something like that. I just know he didn't trust them.
He also did his own alignment. It doesn't seem to help either. Unless he took TMI's advice. No clue.
I can't speak for the issues my friend may or may not have with the car. It's just from what I've seen him do and heard him say. He seems to deal with everything okay. Like I said, I'm sure he could develop the car to be something else, but that's how it is now.
I took the Evo on a weekend-long trip to LA. I only have a 4pt, so tons of room. More, actually, with no back seats LOL. The benefits of having a four door!
Old May 7, 2021, 10:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I would NOT own an Aston as a track car, nope. Still.. the potential is there. From what I hear the GT3 or GT4 cars (I forget which) are doing pretty well. It's got the bones. I've seen a few GT3 cars for sale. They look and sound awesome and I did want. I even think they were priced decently... but where would you ever find any kinda support. Squirrel! Anway...
My friend was looking at the uprights for his Atom, but he's not happy with the price. They are on his short list. He did go through and change a bunch of the control arm mounts. I don't remember why.. I think some where in shear or something-or-other. I forget, but he did custom ends on everything to keep them from snapping. Something like that. I just know he didn't trust them.
He also did his own alignment. It doesn't seem to help either. Unless he took TMI's advice. No clue.
I can't speak for the issues my friend may or may not have with the car. It's just from what I've seen him do and heard him say. He seems to deal with everything okay. Like I said, I'm sure he could develop the car to be something else, but that's how it is now.
I took the Evo on a weekend-long trip to LA. I only have a 4pt, so tons of room. More, actually, with no back seats LOL. The benefits of having a four door!
yeah I don't think the uprights are needed if he's planning on staying away from sticky tires...

for the control arm mounts, are you talking about the mount on the chassis? or the part on the arm that attaches to the chassis?
Old May 8, 2021, 09:24 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
yeah I don't think the uprights are needed if he's planning on staying away from sticky tires...

for the control arm mounts, are you talking about the mount on the chassis? or the part on the arm that attaches to the chassis?
I actually think he moved to R1s. Still not an A7 though and he's using OEM sizes, so he can keep his fenders.
As for the control arms, I'm not sure. I just remember him ordering stuff and having it fabbed up because he was concerned there could be a failure.
Old May 8, 2021, 05:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I actually think he moved to R1s. Still not an A7 though and he's using OEM sizes, so he can keep his fenders.
As for the control arms, I'm not sure. I just remember him ordering stuff and having it fabbed up because he was concerned there could be a failure.
yeah on an Atom, R1's are generally not as sticky as A7's and they're never gonna get up into their operating temp with how light the Atom is. So its kinda 2 fold not as sticky... A7's operating temp starts in the 120's and thats why they work on the Atom.
Old May 12, 2021, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Got some new wheels and tires for the Supra to hold me over until my custom set comes in.

Old May 12, 2021, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Stock wheels painted all black?
Old May 12, 2021, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

They are the 2020 launch edition wheels. So ya, same wheels it had but black from the factory. Couldnt stand every other spoke being polished.
Old May 12, 2021, 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
They are the 2020 launch edition wheels. So ya, same wheels it had but black from the factory. Couldnt stand every other spoke being polished.
Agreed. Looks way better all black.
Old May 12, 2021, 09:59 AM
EvoM Guru

That photo is making me notice how huge the hood gaps are. What's up with that?
Old May 12, 2021, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

The lighting in the picture makes it look worse than it is but the gap is quite large compared to all the other panels. Seems to be like that on all the Supras.
Old May 12, 2021, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Better picture of the new wheels. Had a chance to shine them up!

Old May 13, 2021, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts
How IS the field of view with that giant hood and wacky pillar placement? I maybe wanna try one. I got no kids, what the hell do I need 4 doors for!?!

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?