Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:15 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Pokemon go is an augmented reality video game while MTG is primarily a TCG game with some online virtual card play as well. A better comparison would have been the pokemon TCG and not one of the video games.

LOL, just wanted to join in on the theme this thread has taken on...
My point was for it to not make sense. Which is how this discussion is going.
The following users liked this post:
XSivPSI (Oct 24, 2022)
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 444 Likes on 379 Posts
soooo this is the part that's meant to say i enjoy this thread, seeing a guy improve, etc i clicked like many times, maybe said good thing etc maybe i'll get a Supra too etc Thanks for keeping us posted.

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
No disrespect Razorlab who's been sharing his progress
So no dismissing achievements here. I'm not sure why its getting mixed up but I guess its-your-thread emotions firing up. MY achievements are also based on my equipment (my track PB is the only time my car didnt break). I can get better (equipment) and improve as well. My point is "what is the big deal with anti-cone dodging track-only guys?" when its really all(mostly) about the equipment when its a full track layout. I suck at drifting but I like it, people like it, I'm not the one downplaying it as 'sliding around'. its either you can do it well or not. The venue doesnt matter. It's all sports.
I'm not defending autox, not at all. I'm saying a track-only guy could be missing out or not in a good region/country, or not in shape(i'm getting there)
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
soooo this is the part that's meant to say i enjoy this thread, seeing a guy improve, etc i clicked like many times, maybe said good thing etc maybe i'll get a Supra too etc Thanks for keeping us posted.

So no dismissing achievements here. I'm not sure why its getting mixed up but I guess its-your-thread emotions firing up. MY achievements are also based on my equipment (my track PB is the only time my car didnt break). I can get better (equipment) and improve as well. My point is "what is the big deal with anti-cone dodging track-only guys?" when its really all(mostly) about the equipment when its a full track layout. I suck at drifting but I like it, people like it, I'm not the one downplaying it as 'sliding around'. its either you can do it well or not. The venue doesnt matter. It's all sports.
I'm not defending autox, not at all. I'm saying a track-only guy could be missing out or not in a good region/country, or not in shape(i'm getting there)
Okay, thanks for clearing it up. The way it was worded/formatted made me interpret it as a "I mean no disrespect, but..." passive aggressive statement. Oh internets!

I still very much disagree that track driving is mostly about the equipment. There are way too many slow dudes in Mclarens, Porsches and Vipers for that to be accurate.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:51 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Autox = a slow car/better driver can show up a faster car/worse driver.
road course = a slow car/better driver can show up a faster car/worse driver.
Road course = better stuff makes you go faster
Autox = better stuff makes you go faster.
road course = learn car control
Autox = learn car control

I don't see a difference.
Bee-Raddd (Oct 24, 2022)
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj

Here, maybe this will help...

Autox = boys
Track = men

Terror Rising (Oct 24, 2022)
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by RazorLab

Autox = boys
Track = men

And here I thought the discussion was just about to get back to Supras.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Okay, thanks for clearing it up. The way it was worded/formatted made me interpret it as a "I mean no disrespect, but..." passive aggressive statement. Oh internets!

I still very much disagree that track driving is mostly about the equipment. There are way too many slow dudes in Mclarens, Porsches and Vipers for that to be accurate.
Thats why I refer to one, same driver (it doesnt matter who you start with). I dont even want to mention the others guys, many are obviously past their prime by the time they get a good car. We can "beat any car", and we can be beat by any car also. Now, there are very skilled people out there (easily measured thru autox PAX system), and props to them. I will try to see how close I get to them with a non-trailer queen street car with very minimal track/autox config changes (its a silly goal i know) but that kinda of what I was thinking when I was posting about the Supra autocrossing with a 5xx/6xx tune (bad equipment)
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Autox = a slow car/better driver can show up a faster car/worse driver.
road course = a slow car/better driver can show up a faster car/worse driver.
Road course = better stuff makes you go faster
Autox = better stuff makes you go faster.
road course = learn car control
Autox = learn car control

obviously
Old Oct 24, 2022, 11:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Autox = boys
Track = men

Autox = hoonigans and tacos
Track = gentleman driving and their rolex's (not the fast spec racer guys and real track rats)

Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Years back, folks in my old region had shirts that said -- "If autocrossing were any easier, they'd call it road racing."

The following 2 users liked this post by EVO8LTW:
ViciousLSD (Oct 24, 2022), XSivPSI (Oct 24, 2022)
Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
For me it was like:

Autox = A lap/maybe some laps with less time to learn
Track = Lots of laps and more time for learning

Old Oct 24, 2022, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

You even kinda stooped to a lower level saying you can do track days while smoking a cigarette because you are the next Tommy Makkinen, but if you are doing an autox, you need to be Doctor Manhattan and focused, because it takes skill.
Just saw this.... No. all that gear shifting 3rd to 4th to 5th is a looong MENTAL BREAK IN MY EXPERIENCE, it's like a commercial. Preparing to brake after a long straight or even holding it thru a carousel are also kind of slow and 'uneventful'. Then there's traffic, warmup and cooldown laps as you know. You'll have to forgive us autocrossers, we're kinda high strung i guess. I'm not saying I'm better here, we're just used to a different dosage of adrenalin.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 01:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Is this legit latest LRP lap times? Very impressive times for each car
https://lapmeta.com/en/track/variation/55
Old Oct 24, 2022, 01:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Is this legit latest LRP lap times? Very impressive times for each car
https://lapmeta.com/en/track/variation/55
I don't think it's exhaustive but at least it's a good reference. "Track Student" Supra with the 57.9 is my buddy I track with.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 02:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
how is this even a discussion,

Put everybody in the same equipment. thats the only way youll find out whos the "faster driver"

Racing in an open category you get the people you mention who have superior equipment but clearly arent good drivers, yet they still can keep up or beat you etc because they have the equipment. knowing full well if you hopped in their car you would go multiple seconds faster than them. on the flipside theres people out there with far inferior equipment keeping up with you or kicking your butt.

The whole autocross vs circuit thing is irrelevant. its like saying drifters are better drivers than drag racers. they are different disciplines requiring different skills and different car strengths. some of the setup que's ive tried from knowledgable and talented auto X people in this forum didnt work at all on my circuit car. because the demands on the circuit are different to whats needed to auto X. it will go both ways. Trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

On topic again thats awesome you got down to a sub 1min. if thats the most you think you can get out of the car at your current modification level then definitely do some upgrades. if you think theres more to squeeze out of it then stick with it as it is. this way youll improve your driving skill at a much faster rate, once you modify it your back to square 1 of learning the car again and you dont know where your driving limit is. sure u can set a time goal but how will you know thats maximising it.

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?