Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I didnt even look to see what people said it should take to install. I think most Supra people would send something like this to a shop. So I dont know if I was quicker or slower than most. Most likely slower because I like to triple check things before I cut permanent holes in the car. Still, it took me a good 4-5 hours.
Correction, most Supra owners wouldn't buy this, they would buy some cheap *** rexspeed lip that uses two bolts. Even then they would pay someone to install it, some would take it to the dealer!

I agree with @Construct I'm doing my first VW water pump and this thing can just go F itself up and down my whole street. Next one will probably take me 1/4 of the time, lol. I already found out you don't have to take the intake manifold off to do the job, even though everyone says you do.

Old Nov 1, 2022, 06:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
When I swapped downpipes on the Supra, everything I found showed people pulled the whole exhaust. WTF? I chalked it up to new "mechanics" working on a new platform.
Took about 20 mins. No removal of the exhaust.
Removing the Evo's alternator through the top of the engine bay cut that job in half. Thanks to whomever posted that.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
I saw some post like that too. Just sad haha. If people knew what kind of car related stuff I have done, like building an entire car from the ground up, their minds would be blown.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:36 PM
kaj

I saw some post like that too. Just sad haha. If people knew what kind of car related stuff I have done, like building an entire car from the ground up, their minds would be blown.
It's kinda cool knowing we have touched every single nut and bolt on the car.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
Yea i could write a book on shortcuts ive come up with haha. The alternator out the top is a good one.

On the JDM gearbox slotting the rear gearbox mount lower hole so you can slip it over the top of the bolt and using a pin thru the mount instead of a bolt makes a major difference.

Old Nov 3, 2022, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

I still cant believe how low this splitter is. Literally cant drive the car around town anymore. Out of the 3 entrances at work, there is only one I can make it in and it still scrapes.

Old Nov 3, 2022, 03:52 PM
kaj

I still cant believe how low this splitter is. Literally cant drive the car around town anymore. Out of the 3 entrances at work, there is only one I can make it in and it still scrapes.

So.... I'm going to need to build one with a quick release so I can still drive around town?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
So.... I'm going to need to build one with a quick release so I can still drive around town?
yes that you will. But not sure how you are going to do that with the supplied brackets. Even if you figured out how, the brackets hang lower than the bumper and would be the first thing to hit.

The way it sits right now on my car, which might be 1/2" lower than stock up front, the splitter hangs 2-3/4" off the ground.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 08:03 PM
kaj

Dang.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Aircups/lift kit ftw

Old Nov 5, 2022, 07:22 AM
EvoM Guru

yes that you will. But not sure how you are going to do that with the supplied brackets. Even if you figured out how, the brackets hang lower than the bumper and would be the first thing to hit.

The way it sits right now on my car, which might be 1/2" lower than stock up front, the splitter hangs 2-3/4" off the ground.
Yea, I need to make sure I can get in/out of my driveway. Time to do some hard parking and take some measurements.

Just need to make sure it can clear the transition to/from the street.

Old Nov 5, 2022, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

That doesn't look nearly as bad as my driveway. You should be more than fine.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 06:44 PM
EvoM Guru

That doesn't look nearly as bad as my driveway. You should be more than fine.
Yea those photos suck. it has a bit of a dip at the end. Although while I was leaf blowing the billion fall leaves this afternoon I took a better look and I think you are right, it should be fine.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Supra is cleaned and all tucked away for the winter. Supposed to get 2-4" of snow on Wednesday.

Supra will soon go up on my quick jacks to take the MCS coilovers off to send to MCS for service.

Purchasing Aero as soon as the black friday sales start.

Will install the upgraded turbo at some point this winter. AMS has their intake manifold/intercooler on sale so I might pick that up too. Roll bar should be here in a month or so. I feel like the car might be an absolute monster come spring.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Is there a specific reason you're sending the MCS in or just as preventive maintenance? Excited to see what you get done on the aero and power front. Did you ever put the stock seat back in after putting in the race seat?

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?