Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2022, 03:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Terror Rising
Is there a specific reason you're sending the MCS in or just as preventive maintenance? Excited to see what you get done on the aero and power front. Did you ever put the stock seat back in after putting in the race seat?
I broke the adjusters on the front and the rear adjusters are seized up. I've been running them on the same setting this whole season. hahah.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Did you follow the GTA finals at Buttonwillow. Fastest Supra went 1:47. It's with Pure 800 kit, and much more, very beautifully modified and driven by hot shoe Gary Wong.
https://www.speedsf.com/blog/2022/6/...1ig76sz2r3g5fr

The Supra has gone 1.32.xx at Laguna with some minor issues, so it had more in it, before it was taken to Buttonwillow for the finals.

FYI: Zhong Cheung's Evo 9 went 1.47 in 2014 with 450whp stock brakes modest aero, lacking a lot to go 2 + seconds faster.
He listed the To Do List:
t was quite clear where my car needs some help to make it go even faster. Need to overhaul the brakes to a Big Brake Kit, shed another 200lbs from the car using skin doors, carbon fiber driveshaft, BBK, headlight replacement skin covers, delete rear mustache bar and replace side diff bushings, remove the heater core, and sound deadening which can be done. Install a 6pt cage as well as a fire suppression system. Installing a flat-bottom and revising the rear diffuser would also be beneficial.

https://lapmeta.com/ja/lap/detail/2260
https://www.attackthetrack.com/2014/11/

Last edited by alpinaturbo; Nov 14, 2022 at 05:37 PM. Reason: ortho mistake
Old Nov 14, 2022, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Did you follow the GTA finals at Buttonwillow. Fastest Supra went 1:47. It's with Pure 800 kit, and much more, very beautifully modified and driven by hot shoe Gary Wong.
https://www.speedsf.com/blog/2022/6/...1ig76sz2r3g5fr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVPBf6_p8nA

The Supra has gone 1.32.xx at Laguna with some minor issues, so it had more in it, before it was taken to Buttonwillow for the finals.

FYI: Zhong Cheung's Evo 9 went 1.47 in 2014 with 450whp stock brakes modest aero, lacking a lot to go 2 + seconds faster.
He listed the To Do List:
t was quite clear where my car needs some help to make it go even faster. Need to overhaul the brakes to a Big Brake Kit, shed another 200lbs from the car using skin doors, carbon fiber driveshaft, BBK, headlight replacement skin covers, delete rear mustache bar and replace side diff bushings, remove the heater core, and sound deadening which can be done. Install a 6pt cage as well as a fire suppression system. Installing a flat-bottom and revising the rear diffuser would also be beneficial.

I don't put much stock in TA stuff. A lot of factors go into the results and can be all over the place. Especially from day to day.

Example: My fastest lap time so far at Lime Rock is faster than every Supra at GridLife Lime Rock in August except for Jackie Ding. All Supras had aero and more power than me. Some substantially more.

Last edited by RazorLab; Nov 14, 2022 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Nov 15, 2022)
Old Nov 14, 2022, 08:59 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Did you follow t....system. Installing a flat-bottom and revising the rear diffuser would also be beneficial.

Aquaintences of mine (the shop that built my oil pans) walked away with the RWD track record. Cool stuff. A 1'40.2" is just a butt hair from 30s. No way my Supra or Evo will ever match the power and aero of their monster C5. Congrats to them. I think they also broke a record at the half-mile races that went on.
I think I may run the Supra in the Enthusiast class next year.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
this popped up for sale on an instagram car sale page i follow. Interesting!

https://racecarsforyou.com//car/2021...0-low-mileage/

Last edited by Bee-Raddd; Nov 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Someone get very invested in that build and barely used it. Asking price is $12.3K over MSRP of a Premium 3.0. If the work was done well and it was properly maintained around the track days, might not be a bad head start on a track build.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts
Another race prepped one for sale.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/tun...k-miles.15585/
Old Nov 17, 2022, 06:22 PM
kaj

Good deal if you wanna finance the entire amount for the car plus have an extra $25k in cash laying around.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Have any of you Zupra guys driven C6/C7 corvettes on track that can make the comparison?
I just lost my 9 in an accident, this 82 year old man hit me in kind of a Tbone way and the car got totaled….so now I’m looking for another toy that’s lighter and slower then my C7z.

Ive had no problems with my Z but it’s intense and expensive to track. I also really enjoy wrenching on things and that car really doesn’t need much work or and mods to make it work, everything is mostly done for you so I mostly just change fluids, brakes and tires.
And I’m not sure I want ANOTHER Evo lol.

Im kinda between an GR86 which it’ll be slow AF but seems more of a momentum/drivers car that would need plenty of wrenching and modding to get it remotely fast.
A manual Zupra which sounds like it has worse steering feel then my c7, also has too many electronics but ultimately faster then a 86 and very modable. A bit lighter then a c7 too boot.
Find another 9 because blah blah blah blah steering feel but the least reliable and most pita of the bunch.

Or do nothing and keep driving the **** out of the C7 hahaha
Old Nov 21, 2022, 08:22 PM
kaj

I'm not sure why people say Evos are unreliable. All I've done in about the last 3 years is changed fluids.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
If it must be rwd, s2000 with sos supercharger kit. Cant be beat for raw driver feel, handling, reliability, wrenching, track speed per dollar.
The following users liked this post:
black E (Nov 22, 2022)
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by black E
Have any of you Zupra guys driven C6/C7 corvettes on track that can make the comparison?
I just lost my 9 in an accident, this 82 year old man hit me in kind of a Tbone way and the car got totaled….so now I’m looking for another toy that’s lighter and slower then my C7z.

Ive had no problems with my Z but it’s intense and expensive to track. I also really enjoy wrenching on things and that car really doesn’t need much work or and mods to make it work, everything is mostly done for you so I mostly just change fluids, brakes and tires.
And I’m not sure I want ANOTHER Evo lol.

Im kinda between an GR86 which it’ll be slow AF but seems more of a momentum/drivers car that would need plenty of wrenching and modding to get it remotely fast.
A manual Zupra which sounds like it has worse steering feel then my c7, also has too many electronics but ultimately faster then a 86 and very modable. A bit lighter then a c7 too boot.
Find another 9 because blah blah blah blah steering feel but the least reliable and most pita of the bunch.

Or do nothing and keep driving the **** out of the C7 hahaha
My 9 just got hit by a drunk driver this past Friday and while the damage looks fixable, it definitely got me thinking of what I would get to replace it if it is a complete loss. I thought manual Zupra, but I just can't do a 2-seater for a daily. Maybe an R/S3 or a M2, but the long-term maintenance and repairs for M cars or any kind of German performance have always scared me. 997 S would be nice but they are getting old and have gotten expensive, which means you have to set aside $15k for any kind of major repairs. The Corolla GR is cool, but it's still not nearly as cool as a tastefully mod'd Evo 9 imo. Then it dawned on me that there really is no viable replacement that would fully satisfy me and they better fix this damn car.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooled_IX
My 9 just got hit by a drunk driver this past Friday and while the damage looks fixable, it definitely got me thinking of what I would get to replace it if it is a complete loss. I thought manual Zupra, but I just can't do a 2-seater for a daily. Maybe an R/S3 or a M2, but the long-term maintenance and repairs for M cars or any kind of German performance have always scared me. 997 S would be nice but they are getting old and have gotten expensive, which means you have to set aside $15k for any kind of major repairs. The Corolla GR is cool, but it's still not nearly as cool as a tastefully mod'd Evo 9 imo. Then it dawned on me that there really is no viable replacement that would fully satisfy me and they better fix this damn car.

Yeah it’s a tough choice.
Mine did get totaled, almost 20k worth of damage and they didn’t even get to the engine, trans and Tcase which were all probably damaged as well. So definitely not worth trying to fix that and then be left with a $10k Evo that no one would buy.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo9isLife
If it must be rwd, s2000 with sos supercharger kit. Cant be beat for raw driver feel, handling, reliability, wrenching, track speed per dollar.
The s2k is surprisingly practical however the diff/tranny issues..... make me hesitant to add forced induction.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by black E
Yeah it’s a tough choice.
Mine did get totaled, almost 20k worth of damage and they didn’t even get to the engine, trans and Tcase which were all probably damaged as well. So definitely not worth trying to fix that and then be left with a $10k Evo that no one would buy.
Why the worry on the resale if you dont see anything better to replace it?

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?