Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2022, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
It's telling when one of the most popular threads on this forum is about a Toyota Supra

Mostly telling about the quality of discourse on the Supra forums.

Have any of the Supra forums emerged with an active subforum for technical discussion? Last time I checked, they all looked like every other new vehicle forum: Lots of new owners talking about babying their vehicles, doing cosmetic mods, and complaining about little things. I guess it takes a few years for the newness to wear off and the real-world technical experience to get into the forums.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 09:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I flashed my trans already. Such a great upgrade even though it may seem like its not much. Biggest thing for me is that the car now shifts instantly when you hit the paddle. 1-2 there was always a big delay. No more shift farts when WOT either cause it really does shift that fast now. You guys should enjoy it.
Which transmission flash?

I want to go look up some videos. The slow shifting was the only thing that I really didn't like about the Supra transmission.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 09:54 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
Mostly telling about the quality of discourse on the Supra forums.

Have any of the Supra forums emerged with an active subforum for technical discussion? Last time I checked, they all looked like every other new vehicle forum: Lots of new owners talking about babying their vehicles, doing cosmetic mods, and complaining about little things. I guess it takes a few years for the newness to wear off and the real-world technical experience to get into the forums.
Nope, that's pretty much it. You have a bunch of people going back and forth in regards to how to build a car. You've got the people who just want to throw carbon fiber bits all over it and then you have those of us who are on the performance side.
Like you said, exactly like every other form for every other new platform.
It's been 3 years, though. We're starting to get some pretty good information now.

I want to go look up some videos. The slow shifting was the only thing that I really didn't like about the Supra transmission.
Slow? What in heck are you driving? GT3s?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 304 Likes on 238 Posts

XHP

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

But really, you thought it shifted slow stock? I still think it shifts fast stock but now its more like a DCT.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmMilk
doesn't really guarantee anything, melting cats on evo's with track use was a pretty common thing. I've melted a cat on a stock power 350Z with track use... fried of mine just melted a cat on his Z06 a couple months ago with track use...
It doesn't, I just have a lot more faith in toyota covering their bases than Nissan, Mitsubishi, or GM. That's for sure. I'd assume Toyota did their own engine testing verification with similarly demanding tests to the ones I'm familiar with.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 07:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts

Slow? Did you not drive it in sport? I would not call it slow by any means.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

XHP

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

But really, you thought it shifted slow stock? I still think it shifts fast stock but now its more like a DCT.
That DCT feel is what I was hoping for.

It's not slow in stock form, but that shift delay that you talked about is palpable. Felt like I could adapt to it and learn to anticipate/time it, but if there's a flash out there that makes it more snappy (without too much transmission damage) then that's fantastic
Old Dec 10, 2022, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

That DCT feel is what I was hoping for.

It's not slow in stock form, but that shift delay that you talked about is palpable. Felt like I could adapt to it and learn to anticipate/time it, but if there's a flash out there that makes it more snappy (without too much transmission damage) then that's fantastic
Got it. Yes it fixes the delay 100%. As soon as you pull the flapper, its in the next gear before you even release it. The shifts are nice and firm now too. Downshifts are quicker too. Now I just need to get the fancy magnetic paddles. They feel so nice.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 02:10 PM
kaj

Got it. Yes it fixes the delay 100%. As soon as you pull the flapper, its in the next gear before you even release it. The shifts are nice and firm now too. Downshifts are quicker too. Now I just need to get the fancy magnetic paddles. They feel so nice.
I've had the paddles in my kitchen since they were released.... Maybe a trans tune will get me motivated to install.

Does anyone know if *ANY* OBDII dongle works with xHP?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
I've had the paddles in my kitchen since they were released.... Maybe a trans tune will get me motivated to install.

Does anyone know if *ANY* OBDII dongle works with xHP?
Look under G-series: https://www.xhpflashtool.com/connect_diagram/

Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:51 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by RazorLab
So then have a 5th OBDII dongle laying around. Aaaaand I'd only use it once.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Yep, get used to it haha.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
You should see my drawer of dongles. I have at least a dozen from over the years.

I could send you my Thor adapter if you promise to return it
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:01 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by RazorLab
You should see my drawer of dongles. I have at least a dozen from over the years.

I could send you my Thor adapter if you promise to return it
That would be both awesome and appreciated. Plus, it would make me quit being a wimp and get me to buy the app. I was actually going to do the same thing: I thought about buying one and just lending it out to whoever needed one so they wouldn't have to buy it
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
That would be both awesome and appreciated. Plus, it would make me quit being a wimp and get me to buy the app. I was actually going to do the same thing: I thought about buying one and just lending it out to whoever needed one so they wouldn't have to buy it
Send me a DM with your addy and I can try to send it out this week.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Dec 11, 2022)

Quick Reply: Mk V Supra - My Evo's Replacement?